Taco Rice Salad

I saved a Cooking Light recipe ages ago and finally got around to trying it tonight. I really enjoy Mexican food and I usually make fajitas, but this recipe for taco salad sounded insanely good and I couldn’t wait to make it! The only things I changed were ommitting the chili powder and cumin to make it more mild, and ommitting the chopped tomato because I hate tomatoes. This turned out fabulous – I’ll be saving this recipe :)

I made tortilla bowls using fajita wraps that I had in the house. They were super easy to make – I inverted two ramekin cups on a baking pan, coated them with cooking spray and laid the tortillas on top. I brushed them with some olive oil and baked them at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, until browned and crispy.

Taco Rice Salad

Cooking spray
1 lb. ground beef
1 garlic clove, minced
3 cups cooked yellow rice (I used brown rice)
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
6 cups torn romaine lettuce (about 10 oz.)
3 cups chopped tomato (about 1-1/4 lbs)
1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed

Dressing:
2/3 cup fat-free sour cream
2/3 cup salsa
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Remaining ingredient:
1/2 cup (2 oz) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese

To prepare salad, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef and garlic, and cook until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain; return beef mixture to pan. Stir in rice through next 4 ingredients (through pepper). Cool slightly. Combine lettuce and next 4 ingredients (through beans) in a large bowl; toss to combine.

To prepare dressing, combine sour cream, salsa, chili powder and cumin, stirring with a whisk. Spoon dressing over lettuce mixture; toss to coat. Place lettuce mixture on plate or in tortilla bowl. Top with rice mixture and shredded cheese.

Source: Cooking Light

14 Responses to “Taco Rice Salad”

1. Geek's Girl on May 23, 2007 at 8:30 am

This recipe looks really good! I would omit the tomatoes too!!

2. Joelen on May 23, 2007 at 2:27 pm

Looks awesome and I love how you used brown rice instead for a more nuttier flavor!

3. Amber on May 24, 2007 at 8:58 pm

Those look awesome!!! I have that recipe saved also. I can’t wait to try it.

4. Gillian on June 5, 2007 at 9:33 pm

those look and sound great :) We love Mexican food around here so I’ll have to try it!

5. Renea on June 7, 2007 at 9:11 am

I love that recipe too! Glad you liked it!!

6. DeborahSW on June 16, 2007 at 4:10 pm

I love the healthier version of a tortilla bowl, very inventive! :)

7. Carrie on June 20, 2007 at 11:31 am

I love this recipe!!

You have been tagged, check out my latest post for the information.

8. Kate on June 26, 2007 at 11:26 pm

You inspired me to try out this recipe tonight. My husband adored it! My tortilla bowls were nowhere near as good as yours, but I think the salad made up for that!

9. CookinsForMe on June 28, 2007 at 1:02 pm

This is definitely going on my “Try this soon!” list. We like Tex Mex/Southwestern dishes and this looks like one that will be a keeper!

Last night I made an interesting brown rice, chicken and bean dish that we ate rolled up in tortillas with tomato, onion, and cheese. It was easy, thrifty, and very good. Ole!

10. Pingback: Peanut Butter Brownies | Brown Eyed Baker

11. Donna M on January 14, 2012 at 8:14 am

I tried this recipe & we all enjoyed it. I didn’t mix it all together, just did individual portions as there was lots & wanted the leftovers for lunches. It was great leftover too. I reheated the meat/rice & then topped with the lettuce mixed with dressing . Thank you for a keeper recipe!

12. LitashaB on May 3, 2012 at 6:33 am

Made this for our dinner tonight and it was DELICIOUS!!! Light but so satisfying! Great homage to Cinco-de-Mayo! Thank you for the recipe!!! :)

13. Pingback: Best Pinterest Posts » 68 Healthy Recipes for 2014