Egg Muffins

So I did the healthy applesauce oatmeal muffins yesterday, and today I am balancing those carbs with these egg muffins. Provided by my friend Meghan, this recipe comes from the South Beach Diet cookbook. I would venture to guess you could add to these muffins just about anything you would put in an omelet and it would taste great. These will be a great option for a protein-packed lunch! I followed Meghan’s recipe of eggs, bacon and cheese but omitted the scallions because I didn’t have any in the house.

Egg Muffins

Yield: 12 muffins

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 20 to 30 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Little portable omelets baked up in muffin tins; a perfect protein-packed breakfast.

Ingredients:

12 eggs (or a combination of whole eggs and egg whites - egg whites count for 2 whole eggs. As an example, I did 9 whole eggs and 6 egg whites)
Splash of milk
3 scallions, finely chopped
1 cup shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
12 slices cooked bacon, torn into pieces

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.

2. Add 1 piece of bacon, ripped up, and some cheese to each muffin cup.

3. In a large bowl (one with a pouring spout works great for this!) beat the eggs, milk and scallions. Pour the egg mixture into each muffin cup. Be careful not to overfill.

4. With a fork, turn the bacon and cheese in each cup over to mix it all up. Top each with a sprinkle of cheese.

5. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes and then keep an eye on them - they can take anywhere from 20-30 minutes depending on your oven (mine went about 23 minutes). When they are puffy and slightly brown on top they are done. Be careful not to overcook them or they will be rubbery.

15 Responses to “Egg Muffins”

1. Kayte on July 18, 2007 at 6:57 pm

wow. these look so yummy! and how neat that you found your college friend again!

2. Amber on July 19, 2007 at 10:19 am

These look super yummy.

I love the new header and name

3. Meg's Adventures in the Kitchen on July 20, 2007 at 12:13 pm

yay! Hi Michelle! :) Im glad they came out well for ya!

Ahhhhh memories… lol

4. DeborahSW on July 28, 2007 at 11:44 am

I love egg muffins! They’re a great portable breakfast for people who are always running late in the morning (me). :)~

5. Lauren on October 15, 2007 at 10:50 am

Hi, your blog was recommended to me by one of your friends, so imagine my suprise upon reading this recipe that you were a freshman at Duq in the fall of 1998 because…So was I! I was in the St. Ann’s dorms, though. What a small world! PS – The recipe sounds great, and I can’t wait to try it!

6. Reverend Tex B. Acon on March 30, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Thanks for providing more Bacon information to the World! Praise B!(acon)

7. Pingback: 50 Healthy Recipes for 2012 | Brown Eyed Baker

8. Molly on January 4, 2012 at 9:22 pm

These are amazing. Full of super tasty goodness. I feel like this is really going to help me with my diet.

9. Pingback: 50 Healthy Recipes for 2012 | Biz Chicks

10. Pingback: Filled Raisin Cookies

11. Mel B. on January 3, 2014 at 4:10 pm

How do I save this recipe to my recipe box?

Thanks!

• Michelle on January 4th, 2014 at 10:57 am

Hi Mel, This was one of those old archive recipes that hadn’t yet been converted to the new format. I just went ahead and updated it, so you should now be able to save it to your recipe box. Enjoy!

• Mel B. on January 4th, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Thanks!

12. Melissa on January 4, 2014 at 4:22 pm

I know this is a super old recipe but have you tried freezing these muffins?

• Michelle on January 4th, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Hi Melissa, I have not. If you try it, please stop back and let me know how they freeze/thaw.