The Perfect Omelet

img_7397-2.jpg

I saw a recent episode of Barefoot Contessa in which Ina made this recipe, and it looked absolutely delicious (as most of her recipes do!), so I bookmarked it. Since I was just cooking for myself tonight it was the perfect time for me to experiment with a not-so-healthy meal ;-) This was absolutely delicious and I already can’t wait to eat the leftovers. The combination of potatoes and onions was extremely tasty, and combined with all of the other ingredients it was, well, perfect! This was the first time I baked an omelet in the oven and I’m totally sold on the process. Mine took about 23 minutes to cook, although I am super paranoid about raw eggs, so it may just have been the overly cautiousness in me, but it definitely wasn’t near ready at 15 minutes. The only thing I changed about the recipe was to leave out the jalapeños – I don’t keep them in the house and I’m not particularly fond of things with a kick. Without further ado, here is another pic and the recipe – ENJOY! :)

img_7410-2.jpg

Omelet for Two

(Source: Ina Garten)

1/4 pound good thick-cut bacon (about 5 strips)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 cup medium-diced Yukon gold potato
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 tablespoon minced jalapeño pepper
5 extra-large eggs
2 tablespoons milk or cream
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts
4 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, diced, plus extra grated cheese, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut the bacon crosswise in 1-inch slices. Cook the bacon in an 8-inch ovenproof saute pan over medium-low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned. Drain the bacon on paper towels and discard the fat from the pan. Add the butter to the pan, and then add the potato and yellow onion. Cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the onion starts to brown and the potato is tender but firm. Add the jalapeño pepper and cook for 30 seconds.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together with a fork. Stir in the scallions and diced Cheddar. When the potato is cooked, add the bacon to the pan and pour over the egg mixture. Place the pan in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until the omelet puffs and the eggs are almost cooked in the center. Sprinkle with a handful of grated Cheddar and bake for another minute. Serve hot directly from the pan.

16 Responses to “The Perfect Omelet”

1. kayte on October 25, 2007 at 8:11 pm

looks wonderful chelley! i can’t wait to try this one. i love omelets.

2. Missy on October 26, 2007 at 11:04 am

Thanks for posting. I’m going to make this over the weekend!

3. Tanna on October 27, 2007 at 10:30 am

Perfect for breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner!

4. Julia on October 28, 2007 at 3:51 pm

I haven’t made an omelet in ages, this recipe looks great! I think we’ll try it soon, and maybe sub canadian bacon to make it healthier. I love eggs!

5. brilynn on October 28, 2007 at 11:15 pm

I definitely need to make an omelette sometime soon, this looks amazing!

6. Renea on October 30, 2007 at 9:12 am

Yum! This looks delicious!

7. Katy on November 1, 2007 at 3:03 pm

Oh yum. I love Barefoot Contessa — lovely!

8. valha on November 15, 2009 at 11:36 pm

made this morn! 86ed the jalapenos and scallions for broccoli and mixed the cheddar with gruyere! FABO! officially hooked on your blog! thanks

9. Marty on October 26, 2010 at 8:46 am

Good Morning! Made this delicious omelet this morning. It is so good. My plan is to make one of your recipes every day now that I finally have some time – first day of retirement from my job of 30 years. I’m making decorated cookies on the sideline and am very busy…so need a good breakfast to get started in the morning and this is it. Everything I’ve made that you have posted is out of this world. Thanks and have a good day.

• Michelle on October 28th, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Hi Marty, I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed this omelet! And so flattered that you are planning to make a new recipe every day. Enjoy!

10. Pingback: Butternut Squash Soup Recipe | Brown Eyed Baker

11. Pingback: Quiche Lorraine Pizza | Brown Eyed Baker

12. Pingback: Creamy Potato & Leek Soup | Brown Eyed Baker

13. Lori on March 29, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Hi, I’m going to make this over the weekend so just wondering how did the leftovers taste? Also wondering about the egg muffins too! Wondering if those would freeze well?

Thanks!

• Michelle on March 31st, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Hi Lori, I haven’t frozen either, but I think you could. Leftover omelets are a favorite of mine!

14. Nancy on September 29, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I just made this, it was delicious. I used large eggs, not extra-large, and 15 minutes was enough time in the oven for us.