Daring Bakers: French Bread ala Julia Child

pink_sil-small.jpg

I was definitely not surprised to see that this month’s challenge was bread, given that Breadchick Mary at The Sour Dough, along with Sara at I Like to Cook, was hosting it. French bread… great, I’ve been wanting to try it! I set out to get an early start on the recipe by printing it out and giving it a couple of thorough reads… but wait… FOURTEEN (as in, 14) pages? This recipe is 14 pages long?! Yowza! Well, that’s okay… I will sit down with my lunch and read through it. I had long finished my sandwich and chips and was only five pages into the recipe. Yikes. This is certainly a “daring” challenge!

I actually never read the recipe from start to finish in one sitting. I couldn’t get through it. And to be honest, I seriously considered just skipping this month. Aside from not even being able to read the entire recipe during the time it takes to watch a primetime drama, this was shaping up to be an all-day event, with an estimated 8 to 10 hour start to finish time. I got together with Laurie over at quirky cupcake and we decided to tackle the recipe “together” (which, in a virtual world, meant that we frantically instant messaged each other throughout the process, doing it at the same time in our respective kitchens). You can thank Laurie for my post, because had it not been for someone keeping me accountable I don’t think I would have mustered the energy to do this. So thank you, Laurie, for forcing me to put my game face on :)

Now on to the actual recipe… as I said, this was an insanely long recipe. It is a Julia Child recipe, and I guess another shameful confession is that I’ve never made one of her recipes or have seen one of her shows. This was certainly a way to dive right in. I honestly can’t tell you if I even think I did this correctly. There were a lot of different types of kneading techniques and deflating techniques that I have never encountered before. There were no pictures or diagrams to go by, so I winged it by doing what I thought was correct.

img_8113-2.jpg

The outcome of the recipe was good. I have never made French bread before (just some variations on white sandwich breadItalian bread, and sweet rolls), so I have nothing to compare this to other than store-bought French bread I have eaten. This turned out to be about the same – it was good, it tasted like French bread should. I guess since it was an all-day affair with Julia Child I was expecting something out-of-this-world and leagues above anything I had made before. It really didn’t live up to those expectations, although as I said, it was good bread, but not especially remarkable. I just personally don’t really think it was worth the all-day effort. This perhaps may be a result of me not performing certain techniques correctly, as there was no real guide on how to go about them. Either way, we had a couple of good loafs of bread to eat over the course of a week and I got to make my first Julia Child recipe :)

img_8118-2.jpg

Thank you again to Mary and Sara for hosting this challenge. If you are interested in seeing the recipe, you can view it at The Sour Dough.

21 Responses to “Daring Bakers: French Bread ala Julia Child”

1. dhanggit on February 29, 2008 at 8:27 am

gorgeous looking french bread!! i love the way the crust is done!! well done for this month’s challenge!!

2. Gretchen Noelle on February 29, 2008 at 8:28 am

It looks like a great loaf of bread! Glad you were able to tackle the recipe, even though it was long. You did a great job and should be a proud Daring Baker!

3. April on February 29, 2008 at 8:29 am

It looks great!

4. Lewis on February 29, 2008 at 9:32 am

What an amazing job! Yes, this recipe looked like it would take a long time. I think I heard someone say 7 hours. Whew. Not unusual though. Yours is the first I’ve seen in a hearth shape though. Great crumb and crust :)

5. slush on February 29, 2008 at 10:11 am

Yours turned out more French Bread looking than mine inside. Mine was tight, with not many holes. So glad we tackled it together. I think we are on to something there. :)

6. Amber on February 29, 2008 at 10:22 am

It looks wonderful, I am glad you mustered the strength to make it through the recipe. On to the next challenge…

7. nikki57 on February 29, 2008 at 11:22 am

It looks fabulous Chelle

8. Beth G on February 29, 2008 at 11:44 am

It looks awesome Chelle- fabulous job on this months challenge! :)

9. Kate on February 29, 2008 at 2:28 pm

The inside of your bread looks just perfect!

10. CB on February 29, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Happy bday to hubs!
    Confession: I did not know who Julia Childs was.
    Next time, me, nikki and leigh will have to get in on the laurie/michelle daring baker chat, k?!

11. Lucy V on February 29, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Inside and out it looks like some fabulous French bread! Bravo!

12. Jaime on February 29, 2008 at 5:57 pm

great job! i almost didn’t do it either, but i couldn’t wimp out on my first month! i’ve never had anything but store bought french bread either and i find it hard to bring myself to go through all the hassle when i can just buy it ;) but that’s partly b/c i don’t care much for bread anyway. check out the video on my blog, it made the process much easier – it was posted in the DB blog…

13. Carrie on February 29, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Looks great!
    This was my first Julia Child recipe too. :)

14. joythebaker on February 29, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Your bread looks just like mine! You did great! Which I guess means I did great too… ha! I’m sorry the taste didn’t knock your socks off, but it looks like you did some beautiful work!

15. baking soda on March 1, 2008 at 8:56 am

Glad you decided to do it after all, it helps to have someone with you in the kitchen, be it virtually!

16. Big Boys Oven on March 1, 2008 at 11:29 pm

So beautiful, so nice. your bread and you, as you are so fantastic, your hubby is so lucky to have you. :) you did well with this bake!

17. peabody on March 2, 2008 at 6:06 am

It is a long recipe indeed. You did a great job with it.

18. breadchick on March 2, 2008 at 9:41 am

It’s always more fun to bake with someone and Laurie would be a riot I’m sure.

Your bread is great looking

Thanks for baking with Sara and I

19. Erin on March 2, 2008 at 5:13 pm

The inside of your bread looks great! I wish there had been diagrams and pictures too because there were a lot of techniques I wasn’t familiar with either, but you did a great job!

20. Pingback: Grilled Fish Tacos Recipe | Brown Eyed Baker