For the Love of Peanut Butter and Cinnamon

Any of you that know me in real life or who have followed my blog for any significant length of time are well aware that I’ve been plagued by food allergies for the past 5 years or so. I started having seemingly random reactions and after undergoing a few rounds of allergy testing I found that I was indeed allergic to many things, the most severe of which were: peanuts, tree nuts, turkey, cinnamon, shellfish, and other seafood. Talk about debilitating! It took some serious time for me to adjust and get used to reading labels, asking questions when going out to eat or eating in someone else’s home. I actually never got used to it – food allergies can be very stressful and the ones I tested allergic to were many things that I was used to eating on an almost daily basis. I was basically told to avoid all of these foods and then underwent about a year and a half of weekly allergy shots to deal with the environmental allergies that were uncovered as well.

Fast forward five years…

I recently decided that since I had the great misfortune of  “growing into” these allergies that I had never had before, that perhaps it was possible for me to “grow out” of them as well. I scheduled an appointment with my allergist for re-testing and started the process two weeks ago. During the first round of re-testing I found that I had absolutely NO indication of an allergy to peanuts or cinnamon. I came home and ate a spoonful of peanut butter and bought Cinnamon Struesel Frosted Mini Wheats. I admit to being a bit nervous to try these, as I had been pretty much programmed to fear them for so many years, but after many successful tests, I can indeed tell you that I appear to be cured! During the second round of tests last week I also found that I have absolutely no indication of an allergy to tree nuts, turkey, shellfish, or seafood either!

Now, celebration was indeed in order. Brown Eyed Baker’s Chief Culinary Consultant presented me with a whole box of Reese’s Big Cup peanut butter cups. Oh boy! It didn’t take me long to dig in and I savored each and every bite. These were the one thing I was most looking forward to eating after getting the all-clear for peanuts. Mmmmm…

reeses-collage

The celebrating didn’t stop there. Next up was trying a snickerdoodle cookie that the CCC had been raving about. Holy crap! These were by far, hands down, one of the best cookies (not just snickerdoodles) I have EVER had. First of all, they’re huge. Second of all, perfectly chewy. Thirdly, a wonderful, not-too-overpowering cinnamon/sugar flavor. And last, but certainly not least, these have little cinnamon-sugar nuggets baked right into the cookie. I’m not sure exactly how that’s done, but I’m determined to figure it out.

p1010001-3

p1010010-3

I’m sure you all want to know where you can find these cookies… they are sold at Noodles & Co. – take a look at their website and see if there is one near you!

Stay tuned for many recipes featuring all of these wonderful ingredients!

40 Responses to “For the Love of Peanut Butter and Cinnamon”

1. Alissa on February 16, 2009 at 8:19 pm

YAY!!!! That is great news!!! Enjoy your new freedom from allergies!!!

2. Steph on February 16, 2009 at 8:25 pm

That snickerdoodle looks so good! It must feel amazing to know the allergies are gone. I would probably eat so much PB that those peanut butter years would be compensated for..haha.

3. EmmyJMommy on February 16, 2009 at 8:30 pm

I am so glad that you have found out that your food allergies are gone! I have a 5 year old son that has an allergy to eggs. We found out in August, but have struggled with his eating since he was 5 weeks old. You give me hope that eventually we will have success with his allergies going “bye-bye!”

4. Elyse on February 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Yay! I’m so happy for you! Peanut butter and cinnamon are two of my favorite flavors as well! I can’t wait to see the wonderful ways in which you use these ingredients now that you have free reign!!

5. Joelen on February 17, 2009 at 12:52 am

Yay for no more allergies! I can’t wait to see more recipes using the ingredients you’ve steered away from! :)

6. Ginny on February 17, 2009 at 5:14 am

So glad for you! My sister is allergic to peanuts and dairy – fatally so. And it looks like my daughter, who just turned two, has a peanut allergy of her own. It’s so sad…There’s been a major uptick in food allergies over the past 10 to 15 years. It kind of makes you wonder what’s going on.

7. Katie on February 17, 2009 at 7:45 am

I LOVE the snickerdoodles from Noodle & Co. I end up eating half of it before the meal gets there, but sometimes I resist so i can savor it later….yum!

8. Maria on February 17, 2009 at 11:17 am

I will have to find these cookies. They look amazing!

9. Elle on February 17, 2009 at 1:02 pm

That’s wonderful! Congratulations to you! Can you pass me a pb cup?

10. Katie on February 17, 2009 at 2:16 pm

AWESOME! YAy for delicious foods you can eat again! These look delicious!

11. Jenn's Baking Chamber on February 17, 2009 at 6:51 pm

I love snickerdoodles, they have such great flavor to them and they are always the chewiest cookie I have. Can’t wait for the next recipe!

12. Carol Peterman on February 17, 2009 at 6:53 pm

How freeing it must be after being deprived for five years. What a great idea to get re-tested. Enjoy indulging in your forbidden foods!

13. Barbara Freeman on February 17, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Hi Chelle, Congratulations, that’s great news about your allergies. How did you do it??? I have been plagued with food allergies/sensitives for more than five years and still can’t tolerate eating them. Wheat, soy, corn, egg yolks, potatoes, cinnamon, to name a few. It’s impossible to eat out unless it’s just broiled fish and rice. Forget dessert. I have to make all my food and love to cook, (know all the substitutions), but it would be so nice to get a break! It’s so expensive to get the shots now, so I’m stuck. Anyway, it’s nice to know one does in some cases break the chain! As you know, it is real and like you mentioned, one gets such a bad and painful reaction if the offending food is eaten, you become fearful of food. Stay free and enjoy eating all the goodies!!!

14. Katrina on February 17, 2009 at 11:52 pm

My husband’s favorite cookie is the Snickerdoodle, I’ll have to check out Noodles.
    Having a giveaway on my blog if you want to check it out.

15. Brittany (He Cooks She Cooks) on February 18, 2009 at 12:15 am

Chocolate…peanut butter…cinnamon…what are you trying to do to me? Looks amazing.

Also, I just posted a recipe that included your wonderful pita bread here:

16. finsmom on February 18, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Wow! These sure look tasty! Ive been wanting to make a big batch of peanut butter cookies for a while now… perhaps I will try your great recipe! Love your blog!

17. Sarah on February 18, 2009 at 8:36 pm

I know exactly how you feel except I’m still dealing with my food allergies. If luck is with me, I’ll outgrow the gluten/peanut/dairy portions of my food allergies, and I’m sure if that happens, my first allergy-free meal will entail peanut butter cups, too (and bread!). Here’s to luck!

18. Christine on March 6, 2009 at 11:46 am

Lucky you to have “grown out” of your food allergies. I have a gluten intolerance, shellfish allergy as well as sensitivities to dairy and eggs. I almost wonder if your allergies went away because you didn’t have them for 5 years. But enjoy your new food freedom!

19. Nini on May 20, 2009 at 5:30 pm

do you have the recippe?

20. admin on May 20, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Hi Nini, what recipe are you referring to? If you are referring to the snickerdoodles, I don’t have the recipe, I’ve been searching high and low! When I figure it out you can be sure that I’ll be sharing it with my readers!

• Shannon McClear on December 31st, 2012 at 3:11 am

Hershey’s mini cinnamon chips! That is the key to the nuggets of cinnamon-y goodness baked right in!

21. David on March 2, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Hi! I was just curious if you’ve figured out the Noodles and Co. Snickerdoodle recipe yet? I’ve been searching for it forever!

22. Loral on April 16, 2010 at 4:47 am

I did the same thing!
    Have been allergic to nuts and seafood since I was a kid but read somewhere your body replaces all its cells within 7 years so figured I would try and reintroduce foods that had previously made me vomit with debilitating migraines.. and it worked!
    Only problem is previously my husband could eat snickers and I had no temptation…

23. risaeats on May 10, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I can’t believe you don’t have any allergy to nuts any longer. I wish my son would grow out of his. We had Indian food yesterday and didn’t realize that the basmati rice (which looked really plain) had pistachios or something in it because by the time we got half way home he had broken into a rash all over his body. We stopped at Rite Aid to get some allergy meds and by the time we got home he was halfway better. After his shower it had gone down quite a bit and within an hour he was all better. Yikes. It is scary when he breaks out. He hasn’t in years. This was the first time in ages. I am so happy you no longer have this problem. It stinks.

24. Pingback: Rocky Road Ice Cream | Brown Eyed Baker

25. Diane on June 25, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I’ve been reading a couple of old books that have some fascinating information about food allergies, and some of you might want to read them. I’m sure there are newer books with the same (or better) information, but the ones I’m reading are:
    “Dr. Newbold’s Revolutionary New Discoveries About Weight Loss”
    and
    “No More Cravings” by Douglas Hunt, MD

Both of these, as you can see, emphasize the role of food allergies in making weight loss difficult, but they cover the basic principles of allergies…including the fact that you may not be allergic forever (you can abstain from the allergen for a period of time and then test it again), and also the fact that any food you eat more often than every three days, you risk becoming allergic to. Sounds like that’s what happened with the Brown-Eyed Baker! =)

• Diane on June 25th, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Oh–and I didn’t want to go on too long, but I should have mentioned, the problem discussed in both books is called the allergic/addictive response. Basically, the foods you’re addicted to are also the ones you’re allergic to. Very unpleasant and sad! But at least something can be done, once we understand. I heard about this years ago but didn’t take time to read about it in-depth till now.

26. Pingback: Top 16 Cooking Blogs | TeachStreet Blog

27. Pingback: Brown Eyed Baker, Through the Years… | Brown Eyed Baker

28. Robyn on December 11, 2010 at 10:38 pm

I’ve been searching for Noodles’ Snickerdoodle cookie recipe FOREVER!!! We’ve even befriended managers throughout the US trying to get someone to reveal the recipe. They all say that they don’t even know the recipe. Any luck figuring it out??? One manager said she heard they’re made with pudding ( like some cake recipes ) & that’s what gives them their moist texture.

• Michelle on December 12th, 2010 at 11:58 pm

I still haven’t gotten it Robyn. Pudding is interesting! I need to work on this :)

29. Viv on December 15, 2010 at 1:52 am

King Arthur Flour has things called Cinnamon Flav-r Bites which might be what you are looking for! I am definitely saving this recipe for testing :)

30. Pingback: Homemade Peanut Butter Cups | Brown Eyed Baker

31. Pingback: Blueberry Bagels | Brown Eyed Baker

32. Pingback: Peanut Butter-Fudge Cheesecake {My 30th Birthday Cake} | Brown Eyed Baker

33. Pingback: Chicken Tortilla Soup | Max & Erma’s Tortilla Soup | Brown Eyed Baker

34. Pingback: [things & stuff] May 9, 2012. « this world around you

35. Melissa on May 27, 2012 at 5:41 am

I LOVE these snickerdoodles, noodles & co have done a great job creating this delicious cookie. I do know a few ingrdients in these cookies…I use to work for the company that distributed their food. The little spots of cinnamon that people refer to in the cookies are actually…toffee pieces. And the other ingredient in the cookie that helps make them so sat and chewy is…pudding. I’ve tried a few times to duplicate this recipe with not much success. I hope that providing these few ingredients to all of you…maybe someone can come up with a copycat recipe.

• Michelle on May 30th, 2012 at 10:16 am

Hi Melissa, Thanks so much for the tips! Super helpful, I can’t wait to get started trying this recipe!

36. Jenna Dawson on December 10, 2012 at 5:39 pm

So glad you can enjoy your pb and cinnamon now! The little bitty cinnamon spots in the cookie could be mini cinnamon chips, they sell them next to the choc chips! They are delicious (I put them in everything from cookies to oatmeal)