No-Bake Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Oatmeal Cookies

no-bake-cookies-main

Perfect for those moments when you are desperately craving something sweet and chocolatey, but don’t have a lot of time (or patience) to make a full-blown batch of cookies. I must really live under a rock sometimes (I know, I said this when I made the coconut macaroons, but I swear it’s true!) because although I had heard of no-bake cookies from my time spent surfing food blogs, I had never had them before! Well, now I might be in trouble. These mounds of sugary, peanut buttery, chocolate goodness are incredibly addicting. They take only minutes to make and if you’re really desperate and don’t want to wait for them to set, you can eat the mixture straight from the bowl – no raw eggs to worry about! These mark my third installment of cookies that you all voted for me to make in the poll I held following the cookbook giveaway. Thanks to everyone for helping to broaden my cookie horizons!

no-bake-cookies-row

As soon as I took my first bite of these I immediately thought that they tasted like the icing for the Texas Sheet Cake that I love so much. After thinking about it, the ingredients are very similar – butter, sugar and cocoa that are boiled together. The peanut butter and oats help to cut the sweetness and add great flavor and texture.

These really are as easy as they sound, and a great recipe to make with kids if you have any little hands eager to help in the kitchen. I’m sure they’ll love eating the “dough” straight from the bowl! The only suggestion I have is when you drop the dough onto the wax paper-lined sheets, they will pretty much set in whatever shape they are already in, with minimal spreading. After I realized this I used the back of the spoon to smooth them out and flatten them a bit to give them more of a “cookie” shape.

no-bake-cookies-stack

Cookies from the Top 10 I have made:
Almond Macarons filled with Nutella
Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Macaroons
Chocolate Chip Cookies (Thick & Chewy)
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups granulated sugar
½ cup milk
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
½ cup peanut butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups quick-cooking oats

1. Add the first four ingredients (through the cocoa powder) to a 4-quart saucepan.

2. Bring to a rolling boil and let boil for 1 minute.

3. Remove from heat.

4. Stir in the peanut butter and vanilla until smooth, then stir in the oats.

5. Drop by heaping tablespoons onto wax paper-lined baking sheets.

6. Let cool until set.

(Recipe adapted from Ezra Pound Cake)

[email_link] | Print

267 Responses to “No-Bake Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Oatmeal Cookies”

1. Pingback: Baking and some other goodies.. | Pretty Like Drugs

2. Pingback: No Bake Cookies « PEAs and Cues

3. Pingback: My latest Kitchen Experiments in the last 24 hours « Arts, Crafts, and Kitchen Experiments

4. Pingback: The Weekend Dish: 12/18/2010 | Brown Eyed Baker

5. Pingback: Baking and some other goodies.. « Food, the Internet, and a Girl. Oh My!

6. Pingback: The Best of Brown Eyed Baker in 2010: The Top 20 Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

7. Pingback: 2 January 2011 « My Meals Today

8. Pingback: no-time, no-bake | homemade goodness

9. Sheri on January 12, 2011 at 11:20 am

Just made a batch but threw them in a greased 9×13 pan.
    This recipe brings me back to 2nd grade and the thrill of making them in class.

10. Laura Witts on January 19, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I just made a batch, they came out well but my family didn’t really care for them. Cocoa powder left a bad after taste, I used unsweetened as recipe did not say but thought with all the sugar unsweetened made sense. May be if I used sweeten it would taste better.

11. lindsayy on January 19, 2011 at 2:19 pm

i just found out, i have an intolerance to wheat and gluten. soo, i cant eat anything with gluten and flour in it. which is basically the same thing as wheat. but i loved these cookies!

12. moon on January 21, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I made a recipe very similar to this one, but I cannot get them to set up…any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?? Thanks!

• Maggie the Cat on February 13th, 2011 at 11:30 pm

They need to boil longer than 1 minute. If it’s humid in your area or it’s a rainy day these cookies will be “fussy”. I live in a fairly humid part of the country and if I don’t boil these for about 5 minutes they just don’t set up. I see many recipes that say to boil for 1-3 minutes, and that’s still not enough.

• Teri on April 12th, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Thats an interesting insight because I was taught if you boil for over a minute they will not set up. I can only seem to get them to set up 70% of the time, maybe I’ll try boiling them longer. Also I was taught using wrong pan or bowl (metal is bad cause retains heat) they wouldn’t set either. If they don’t set I just throw them in the freezer or grab a spoon.

13. Patty on January 24, 2011 at 1:04 pm

We ( four daughters) and myself make these cookies quite often. We love to eat them along with a bowl of warm salty popcorn.

• Ronald Earl Wilsher on February 29th, 2012 at 9:34 pm

LOVE these cookies! I used to make them when I was younger. Thanks for the shareage. Gooooood day! :~)

14. Sherri on February 2, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I have a twist to this recipe from our school lunch lady! A Blonde No-Bake!
    Omit the cocoa and substitute 1 1/2 cups white sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar
    in place of the 2 cups of white sugar. The only other difference in my recipe is 1 tsp vanilla instead of 2 tsp. vanilla and add a dash of salt. So Yummy!! Love your site.

15. Pingback: Best Ever No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars | Cooking by the seat of my Pants!

16. tara on February 17, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Just to let everyone know, you can use almond milk, stevia, and any nut butter of your choice and they come out great- and super healthy. I add coconut and ground up nuts to add more nutrition and protein. Hope this helps!

17. Tina on February 19, 2011 at 12:41 pm

The Lunch Ladies in grade school made the BEST no-bake cookies ever….haven’t had them since, but wiull surely try your recipe….just wish the pictures would print along with the recipe. Thanks!

18. Sean on February 20, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Here’s my “perfected” version of this recipe. I LOVE THESE THINGS!

Half-size Recipe:
    3.3 tablespoons butter, organic
    .5 cups sugar, Raw organic Turbinado cane sugar (less sugar, but still very sweet)
    ¼ cup milk – Goat milk, of course!
    2¾ tablespoons cacao powder (Dagoba organic) – extra choco!
    .4 cup peanut butter, bland tasting, organic creamy or chunky (a little too much makes cookies crumbly/coarse tasting and PB overwhelms chocolate flavor. PB has to be melted well into the choco)
    1 heaping teaspoon vanilla, organic
    1.25 cups oats, organic (more will make the cookie too dense and dilute the goodness)

2. Bring to a rolling boil and let boil for 1.5 minutes.
    3. Remove from heat.
    4. Stir in the peanut butter and vanilla until smooth, KEEP WARM, then stir in the oats.
    5. Drop by heaping tablespoons onto lightly oiled (sunflower, tasteless) glass plate.
    6. Pop in the fridge.

• VIOLAA on July 18th, 2011 at 8:00 am

where are you from ? how to convert decimel point to cup or tbs measures

19. Sean on February 20, 2011 at 4:35 pm

CORRECTION: that’s supposed to be .2 cups of peanut butter.

20. Diana on March 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm

This is a very old recipe, I’m a senior citizen now and we had these fabulous cookies as a child, a friend of mine is older than me and she said her family used to call them “boiled cookies” I guess because they are boiled and not baked. Whatever you call them they are the easiest, best cookie EVER

21. PeggyPoo on March 20, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Love these! My Mema always called them “Lazy Housewife Cookies” LOL!

22. Kathy on April 1, 2011 at 11:00 pm

My husband makes them often and calls them –” Kids Love Cookies” Cookies– He sometimes adds raisins which makes them chewier .

23. Ally Lynn on April 16, 2011 at 6:03 pm

These cookies are delicious!! We’ve had almost the exact recipe in my family for YEARS. I think my great-grandmother got this recipe somewhere and has been passing it down…

I used to have a problem overcooking the sugar, butter, etc. mixture. Now I use a candy thermometer and letting it get up to between 226-228 degrees F makes the cookies come out perfect!

I’m looking forward to trying your version of this old classic. :-)

24. Denise on May 12, 2011 at 8:38 pm

When I was a little girl (I’m now 55) my neighbor, Mrs. Young (I still call her Mrs. Young even though she was widowed for years and eventually became Mrs. Troy), used to make these cookies. I could never get enough of them! Nothing tastes better than these cookies, warm and freshly made, along with a great big ice cold glass of WHOLE milk. Sometimes I used to eat so many that I would wind up with a stomachace, but oh so worth it!

25. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies |

26. khadijah on May 16, 2011 at 2:21 pm

hAS ANYONE EVERY MADE THESE COOKIES WITH ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER ANDIF SO, WHAT DIFFERENCE IN PROCESS?

27. GINA fLORENCIA on May 30, 2011 at 9:56 pm

HI, I’ll like to try this recipe but we’re no a peanut butter kind of people (wierd ) what you think we can use insted? thanks for your help….Gina

• Michelle on May 31st, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Hi Gina, You could use any type of butter – almond butter, cashew butter, even sunbutter (made from sunflower seeds).

• Carol Jean Hertkorn on March 17th, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Gina, my neice doesn’t add peanut butter and they come out okay.

• Wendy on April 17th, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I use nutella. I don’t like PB and I love chocolate so I think they are great this way!

28. Jill on June 10, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I came for the PB&J bar recipe, but ended up making these. Thank you for such wonderful memories, because growing up these were always my favorite.

I hadn’t realized until using this recipe that you actually boiled the sugar, butter mixture, as before I’d just melted everything and put it in the fridge to firm up (poorly written hand me down recipe, I’d used before) Anyway, this is a much yummier cookie.

29. Emely on June 23, 2011 at 7:15 am

This looks amazing i will make them this weekend cant wait to try them :)

30. Pingback: Angel Food Cake Recipe | Brown Eyed Baker

31. Pingback: Belle Bébés - No-Heat Treats

32. Charles on July 14, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I have to say these cookie are amazing! My friends and family went nuts over these tasty treats!

33. christel lambert on July 20, 2011 at 1:45 am

Hi there I wwas just wondering can these no bake cookies be made sugar free??
    I have a 5 year old with some teeth problems and I hate to deprive him of some sweet treats every once in a while but I try suger free items so is there any way it can be done and they still turn out ok? Or if anyone has done the splenda version of it please let me know before I try to do it and it turns out like my splenda rock candy (all screwed up LOL!!)
    Thanks..

• Michelle on July 20th, 2011 at 10:33 am

I have not experimented with a no-sugar version, but I do think you would do just fine with a Splenda substitution here. I’d love to hear your results!

34. Nici on July 22, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I’ve also been making these since I was old enough to stand at the stove and stir! We, however, always call them cow patties, since well, that’s basically what they look like! I love the ideas of adding pretzels and marshmallows, thanks for the tips!

35. Ally on July 28, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I made these for my friends last night & they wanted to take the rest home! Fabulous recipe. Rave reviews were shared! xo

36. Mariel on August 7, 2011 at 4:36 pm

It’s a no-bake cookie kind of day! :-) Yum!

37. Pingback: Ignoring the Shoulds

38. Pene Fedro on August 16, 2011 at 2:41 pm

The recipe for No Bakes that I like uses coconut. Does anyone have that recipe?

• Maggie the Cat on August 16th, 2011 at 5:57 pm

No, but I want it! Coconut sounds delish in these!

Also, I’ve tried these w/rice krispies instead of oats but they were just weird. The rice krispies turned chewy in the cookie. Am I doing something wrong?

39. Tonya on August 22, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Mama always called these preacher cookies. She said when the preacher would call and say he was on his way over, you had time to whip up these cookies with what you had in your pantry by the time he got to the house.

40. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies – Reluctant Entertainer - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening by Sandy Coughlin

41. Jessica on August 28, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I made these tonight and they were fantastic! The whole family loved them.

42. Jessica on September 1, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I made these earlier this week for my kids and I. They are AMAZING!!! I chilled them in the refrigerator so they would be so messy for the kids. I was thinking about seeing how they would taste with Rice Krispies instead of Oats also. Kind of like a Star Crunch. I love your website! I am always on here looking for new things to try. One day I plan to make a cookbook of all my baking/cooking creations and favorite recipes for my friends and family.

43. Pingback: No-Bake Peanut Butter Butterscotch Crisp Cookies | Brown Eyed Baker

44. Pingback: No Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars « The Family Style Chef

45. Dana on September 7, 2011 at 8:37 pm

These look great! But what’s a rolling boil?

• Michelle on September 8th, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Hi Dana, Basically, a full boil, not just simmering with little bubbles – big, bubbling bubbles of a boil ;-)

46. Pingback: Quick Recipes for Snack Links

47. Bandit on September 12, 2011 at 5:42 pm

These are Sara’s Candy Cookies, according to my mom’s recipe card. I never knew who Sara was but we sure loved her cookies. Her recipe called for chunky peanut butter, which adds a nice crunch. Try it!

48. Nicki on September 20, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I grew up on these cookies and still love them to this day!! My grandmom always made these at Christmas time, and I’m proud to say continuing the tradition! These definitely are a staple in my cookie bin! :-)

49. Pingback: No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies « Bake Me Famous

50. Lyssayn on September 22, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I just stumbled across your website while searching for sugar cookie and royal icing recipes; I noticed this no-bake recipe in the sidebar and decided to check it out. I realized I had all of the ingredients in the kitchen, this would take only minutes to make, and I had nothing else in the house for dessert. I ran into the kitchen during a commercial break (OK, plus a few minutes), whipped up a batch, grabbed a couple of warm but firm cookies and threw them at hubby (gotta be nice!), grabbed a couple more for myself, and was back in front of the TV without missing a beat. Awesome, and thank you for the stellar recipe! I know the sugar cookies are going to take me longer, but my success on this recipe will carry me through!

51. Pingback: No Baking? Really? « Go Bake Yourself

52. Melissa on October 6, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I love these! Have you tried freezing them? I am wondering how they would do in the freezer…

• Michelle on October 10th, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Yes! I freeze almost all of my cookies, and you could definitely freeze these.

53. Grant on October 10, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I have no idea why my cookies came out sticky – they didn’t harden. does anyone know? can sugar be bad? didn’t forget p. butter and one above doesn’t boil the minute.

one year mom’s praelens (sp?) didn’t harden – made her nuts. she thought the small town got a shipment of bad brown sugar. Only one store. solved itself after a year – who knows

• Maggie the Cat on October 11th, 2011 at 12:24 am

Grant, next time try boiling them longer. Sometimes things that have to “set up”, like candies, your pralines, these cookies, the humidity plays a BIG factor. I laugh when I see directions that say “boil 1 minute”. If I did that, I’d have a pile of goo. Cook them on medium for as long as it takes them to reach a good, full boil. THEN time it, adding a couple minutes. I usually have to go with 4 minutes. And if it’s very humid or rainy I just don’t bother trying, they will not turn out, period. It may take a time or two to find “your time” and then you will have to adjust for the weather each time you make them.

Also, try these cookies with coconut in place of 1/2 the oats, or in place of all the oats; it’s very tasty that way, too! Peanuts are also a good substitute. Rice Krispies are horrible in these, IMO…. chewy and weird tasting.

54. Pingback: The Weekend Dish: 10/15/2011 | Brown Eyed Baker

55. Georgia on October 16, 2011 at 10:20 am

The recipe I have used for years has you boil the chocolate mixture for 1 minute and then remove it from heat and let it sit for 1 minute. Then you stir in the oats. When they are completely cooled, they always set perfectly.

Once I drop them on the wax paper, I let them cool for about 5 minutes, then give them a better shape for with my fingers.

These are great when you’re craving something sweet and don’t have a thing in the house. You can whip these up and eat them in 30 minutes – though they are better the next day. I never measure the peanut butter. Just put whatever looks like 1/2 to 1 cup (depending on my mood) on a piece of wax paper and dump in with the chocolate.

I’ll have to think about freezing them – maybe they won’t call my name so loudly shut in the freezer.

56. grant on October 18, 2011 at 8:13 am

Thankyou georgia,
    They finally hardened i’m going to rite your process down. they were good even gooy.
    grant

57. grant on October 18, 2011 at 8:16 am

thanks maggie,
    i replied to the e-mail… du.
    no one boils more than 1 min and they work.
    humidity may play a role

58. Pingback: Sunday Lunches | Unwritten

59. Katie on November 9, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Just made these with 4oz of cream cheese and 1Tbsp of canola oil instead of milk, substituted 1 cup of coconut for part of the oats. They’re cooling now but the dough tastes good so far! We’ll see how they set!

60. Pingback: No Bake Cookies « Everyday Desserts

61. Bobbie on November 14, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I am wondering if these no-bake cookies can be frozen? I make dozens of cookies, but have to mail many for some of the family that is out of state. I usually make the dough, roll in balls, and mail with dry ice. This way, they can bake as many or few as they like and still have that just baked result. I know these will be a hit, but need your suggestion on freezing them. Thanks, I love your cookies.

• Michelle on November 15th, 2011 at 10:43 am

Hi Bobbie, If you were to freeze them, I would make them as directed, cool them, and then freeze. I haven’t done this before, so I’m not sure how they will be thawed, but I imagine they would be fine.

• JessC on November 16th, 2011 at 10:04 am

when I made a batch I froze half of them. I put a sheet of parchment or wax paper between cookies and then wrapped them tightly in pastic wrap. They taste just as good frozen and they don’t really get to hard either, you could eat them slightly thawed.

62. Pingback: no-bake chocolate peanut butter cookies | Sweet Dreaming

63. Mickey on November 20, 2011 at 4:20 pm

These are so perfect! I needed to make some cookies for work and I forgot about than and I always go in your site first than any others and I saw the no bake cookies and that BEAUTIFUL picture of them and I new I had to make them, everyone in the office loved than including me and I didn’t have to spend all day over a hot oven making other cookies these are the most best tasting cookies and the most no-mess easiest cookies EVER!!!
    Mickey

64. Melanie on November 26, 2011 at 8:14 pm

These are the best cookies ever. They bring back so many memories of my childhood cooking with my mother. I just found out that my husband has never had them, so I am about to make a batch for him and my daughter. It is time to start the tradition of baking these with my girl…

65. kristin on December 2, 2011 at 6:48 pm

COOKIES TOO CHEWY AND DIDN’T HARDEN WELL. DID I BOIL THEM LONG ENOUGH? I DID USE REGULAR OATS, NO QUICK. THEY HAVE TURNED OUT BETTER BEFORE. HMM???

66. Pingback: Top Picks! Christmas Party Desserts | addapopofcolor

67. tara on December 12, 2011 at 8:23 pm

For some reason, every time I make these they come out different. Sometimes they are perfect, sometimes they don’t sit up right, and sometimes they are too crumbly and I end up with half a pot of oatmeal crumbles. They still taste good- but what’ the deal?

• Michelle on December 12th, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Hi Tara, The air/atmosphere can definitely affect how these boil off and how they set up. Dry air = crumbly, while moist air can cause them to not set up. The air can be affected by tons of things, including having the oven running in the kitchen, a countertop near where the dishwasher is running, etc.

68. Lorri Martin on December 12, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I ate these a long time ago, and when I saw these I was so excited! I made them for my husband and their friends when we hosted a UFC party and they LOVED them. One of our friends mentioned that it was the best cookie he has ever eaten. They are so easy and quick to make, so I decided to make these cookies my Christmas cookies and shipped them off as Christmas gifts. I sent a batch with my husband to take into work today and everyone fell in love with these. These cookies are definitely a hit. Thank you for the recipe! :)

69. Pingback: Peanut Butter Button Cookies | SaucyCuisine.com

70. Kelli on December 14, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I always have these for christmas since I can remember. My grandmother used to make them and now my mom does. We call them “oatmeal fudge”

71. Emily on December 20, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I just made these and they came out a little sweet for my taste. When I went to spoon out the mixture, the second half of the “dough” dried out before I could get started on a second tray (I added a little water and it completely changed the appearance of the second tray – they look a lot moister- but made it workable. We’ll see how they come out!). I added some extra peanut butter to counter the sweetness, as well as some chopped peanuts.

Is it possible that I boiled the mixture for too long and over-caramelized the sugar? Or could this just be made with 1.5 cups of sugar instead of the full 2?

Thanks! Enjoyed the recipe nonetheless, and looking forward to making them again with some small adjustments in the future!

72. Melanie on December 21, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I have been looking at these cookies almost everyday on your website and decided what a perfect cookie for my “Christmas plate” they look beautiful! They set perfectly but are really sweet, I used unsweetend cocoa and followed the recipe. I really like the texture but I think next time I will cut down a little on the sugar and hope they still come out with the same texture. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe’s… I am off to try the peanut butter cookies :)

73. Irene on January 1, 2012 at 10:57 pm

We’ve had a recipe very close to this for as long as I can remember. We call them Texas Cookies, not really sure why. I’ve never been so specific about the boiling time. No matter how they turn out, my husband eats them :-) I have also froze them and they are fine. I usually make them at Christmas and put them in the backroom of our house (we live in upstate NY, near Lake Ontario) to set.

74. Alyce@culinarythymes on January 13, 2012 at 11:47 am

I LOVE the icing on Texas sheet cake too. So dark chocolatey smelling and yummy. I remember making something like this when I was a kid, but have not been able to find a recipe, so thanks!

75. Maggie the Cat on January 19, 2012 at 3:17 pm

For PB lovers: Try my peanut butter no-bake recipe-
    2 c sugar
    1/4 c butter
    1/2 c milk
    1 c peanut butter (i prefer the chunky kind for added crunch)
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 c quick oats

Mix sugar, butter, & milk in sauce pan. Bring to rolling boil and boil for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly (boil time depends on humidity, etc, & could vary a minute or so). Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla, mixing until PB is melted through. Add oats and drop onto waxed paper.

76. Jamie on January 22, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I teach a cooking class for kids at our preschool and we are a nut free facility. Can I use soy butter the same way I would use peanut butter at home?

• Michelle on January 23rd, 2012 at 9:59 am

Hi Jamie, Yes you can use soy butter; many people have had success substituting it for the peanut butter. Enjoy!

77. Kelly on January 26, 2012 at 2:25 pm

LOVE these. We make them all the time. Thanks!!

78. Cat on February 1, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Hi, I was wondering if I could use old-fashioned oats instead of quick? Or should I go buy the the quick oats? Thank you!

• Michelle on February 1st, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Hi Cat, I think the quick-cooking oats are key because they are cut much smaller/finer and therefore absorb the boiled mixture better and set up more easily.

79. Nikki on February 3, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Just made these with my daughter. While the flavor is delish I found them offendingly sweet. I would not be able to eat them beyond the few bites we tried. If you don’t care for overly sugary things I would def try using less sugar. Wish I had known :-/. Might make again with much less sugar.

80. Tracie on February 13, 2012 at 7:32 pm

This cookie recipe is one from my childhood! Thank you for bringing it back in my life! Gonna go make this with my toddler now. :)

81. Patty on February 14, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I absolutely love that I found your site!! I needed a recipe for cookies for my women civic charity group in Georgia and of course, with two boys… no time to cook/bake! I am making these tomorrow for the group!! Excellent timining on finding your blog!

82. Pingback: No-Bake Biscoff Cookies | Sugarcrafter

83. Pingback: No-Bake Biscoff Cookies | Brown Eyed Baker

84. Jen on February 16, 2012 at 11:50 am

I see you say cocoa powder… meaning unsweetened or sweetened? Because if sweetened then I imagine somewhere online there is probably a ratio of sugar to cocoa to make unsweetened, sweetened. Can’t wait to make these!

• Michelle on February 16th, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Hi Jen, Reguar unsweetened cocoa powder. Enjoy!

85. Emma on February 16, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I made these the other night, and i loved them! These came out really great, and took like 3 minutes to make yay :D! the hard part was waiting for them to cool off so i could scarf ‘em down. I think i might add a little more peanutbutter next time, because some cookies had less of a peanutbuttery taste than others (..yes i had to sample a few..) but thanks for a great recipe! (:

86. Angie on February 19, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I learned to make these cookies when I was about 8 years old and often whip up a batch for my 4 kids. I prefer Old Fashioned Oats over quick cooking, and from reading your posts, everyone just has their own prefence. My suggestion, though, is that we love them best when I throw in a handful of coconut. Delicious! And I do always use crunchy peanut butter for the texture. Buy any church cookbook and you are bound to find at least 3 variations of this recipe! It’s a no-fail!

87. Kawanis C. on February 22, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I learned to make these cookies in high school about 14 years ago. And to this day, I LOVE THEM! They are so easy, not too sweet, not too bitter and TOTAL comfort food. We’re having a party at work and I CAN”T WAIT to share them!

88. Amber P. on March 3, 2012 at 2:42 pm

My kids and I have been making these for about a year now. Using Quaker Oats seems to work the best over store brand.
    We love these soooo much and they are cheaper to make than those boxes of girl scout cookies I have been endlessly craving! I wish I would have remembered these last night when I wanted a midnight snack! One of our favorite treats to make! Thank you!

89. kristin on March 14, 2012 at 11:23 pm

my mom was NOT “a stay at home”, “make cookies together” kinda mom but she would make me these(minus the peanut butter and add walnuts) whenever I had a great grade in school or was blue about a boy…what a great memory-we called them Fudge Rounds. She worked so much(10-12 hours a day)
    to make sure I was taken care of but her making these for me made me feel so special(I didn’t know it was so easy to make these.LOL)

90. Carol Jean Hertkorn on March 15, 2012 at 1:52 pm

These are a family favorite. My husband’s grandmother made them first, then his mother. We call them “Mom-Mom’s cookies” and always bring them to any family function. I even made them for my son’s wedding reception, (about 12 batches!). We add coconut as well. I cut back a little on the oats depending on how much coconut I am adding. I agree with “Maggie The Cat” definately boil longer if it is humid and allow extra time to set.

91. elaine on March 16, 2012 at 11:30 pm

We call these skillet cookies as a cast iron skillet is used. I have added; cocoanut, dates, rasins, cranraisins, chocolate chips, crushed pineapple, or dried fruit.

92. Kristin on March 22, 2012 at 9:27 pm

SUPER good and very easy! Thanks for your wonderful recipes :-)

93. Food Stories on March 29, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Oh my gosh, I haven’t thought about no bake cookies since I was a little kid. My mom and her sister used to make these on special occasions (which wasn’t very often) so when we got them, it was a big deal. I have subscribed to your feed and bookmarked this recipe. Wow, what a trip down memory lane. Thanks!

94. Melissa on April 6, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I went to the cupboard to make these before my daughter got home and have less than a tbsp of cocoa. Any suggestions for substitutions???

• Michelle on April 6th, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Hi Melissa, Unfortunately I can’t think of any subs that will give you the same flavor and texture!

• Maggie on April 6th, 2012 at 9:02 pm

you could try the all peanut butter version, and add what little cocoa you do have. I left that variation up there in the comments somewhere.

95. Jenn on April 7, 2012 at 10:06 am

Hi,

I just made these cookies last night and they still have not set. I thought that leaving them overnight would do the trick, but they are still gooey and sticking to the wax paper today. I had them in the fridge and took them out for a while, too. Do you have any suggestions? I love these cookies and I’m upset that we might not be able to eat them (unless we all sit around with a spoon and eat them off the wax paper!). Thanks.

• Kristen on April 8th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

You have to use old fashioned oats and not the quick oats. Also I put in the oats first and then the peanut butter. Seems to work better.

96. Kristen on April 8, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I’ve been making these since I was a kid. Love to keep these in the freezer. I can never eat just one.

97. Mary Jane on April 20, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Kids learning to cook do really well with these. I grew up calling these “Haystacks” and we would pile these high with a teaspoon so they looked like little haystacks. We always added half a cup of shredded coconut and that really helped with the haystack look too! Great for picnics and camping.

98. Jenn on April 23, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Hello, I have NEVER made no bake cookies before so I was SUPER weary about trying them. I am a very very very picky eater and something about no bake kind of freaked me out, regardless to say I waited a week or 2 since pinning and made them, today! Omg, they are insanely great. I had no problem on them forming. I know I let it come to a boil because when I went back to the stove they were really foamy. I shut the stove off, removed the pan and stirred in the peanut butter and vanilla. Hubby and both kids just loved them! Already asked me to make more and there are still 20ish waiting :)

99. SHARON on April 26, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Oh my goodness! These show up at every potluck in Middle Tennessee! They are fondly referred to as “cow patties”!

100. Pingback: consequences | Design and Dish