DMBLGIT September 2009: The Winners!

all_three crop

A great big THANK YOU to all of you who participated in this month’s Does My Blog Look Good In This? food photography contest. I was in awe of some truly incredible photographs that passed through my inbox and made me want to lick my computer screen. We had a total of 58 entries come in from all around the world. If you haven’t had a chance to check out the online gallery yet, be sure to head on over and take a gander – magnificent photos await you!

Another huge thank you to the judges that helped me with the daunting task of scoring these photos:

♦  Shari of Whisk: A Food Blog
♦  Megan of Tres Jolie Studios
♦  Pille of Nami-Nami
♦  Vera of Baking Obsession

As a review, the photos were judged in three categories: Edibility, Originality, and Aesthetics. There are three overall winners, which had the highest scores across all categories. Let’s get to the winners!

Overall First Place
(the picture that scored the highest total combined score across all three categories) goes to:

Caramelized Tomato Tart @ zested by Liz

Caramelized Tomato Tart by Liz of Zested from Brooklyn, New York with a 5D Mark II

Overall Second Place
goes to:

Chocolate Dobos Torte @ PastryPal by Irina

Chocolate Dobos Torte by Irina of Pastry Pal from New York, NY with a Sony 350

Overall Third Place
goes to:

Creme Brulee au Sirop de Fleurs de Sureau @ delimoon by verO

Creme Brulee by verO of Delimoon from Switzerland with a Canon 350D

Part 2 – Edibility, Originality, and Aesthetics Category: Each picture was scored in three categories: edibility, originality and aesthetics. The photo receiving the highest total score in each of those categories, excluding the three overall winners, is the specific category winner.

Winner Edibility Category: It’s a TIE!

Vegan Chocolate Mousse Cake @ Lemonpi by Y

Vegan Chocolate Mousse Cake by Y of Lemonpi from Sydney, Australia with a Nikon D40

Flourless Chocolate & Hazelnut Cake @ Citrus and Candy by Karen

Flourless Chocolate Hazelnut Cake by Karen of Citrus and Candy from Sydney, Australia with a Canon EOS 1000D

Winner Originality Category:

Sea Shells and salt

Sea Salt by Nancy of Spicie Foodie from Central Europe with a Pentax K10D

Winner Aesthetics Category:

Garlic @ Food is Love by Sefa

Garlic by Sefa of Food is Love from Bremen, Germany with a Canon EOS 400D, EF 50mm f/1.8

I was able to select a Host’s Award for a photo that did not receive an overall or category award, but that stood out to me. This photo seemed to jump off my screen at me and it was one that remained vivid in my mind even as tons of others rolled in. For one last fling with summer, I bring you the bright and totally delicious-looking host award…

Winner: Host Award

Blueberry Gelato @ eCurry by Soma

Blueberry Gelato by Soma of eCurry from Texas with a Konica Minolta Dimage A200

Congratulations to all of the winners, and thank you once again to everyone who participated! Stay tuned for next month’s edition, which is being hosted by Astrid from Paulchen’s Foodblog.

Don’t miss a post! Subscribe to the Brown Eyed Baker RSS feed!

30 Responses to “DMBLGIT September 2009: The Winners!”

1. Amy I. on September 30, 2009 at 12:32 am

So many beautiful entries, I loved looking at all of them. Kudos to the winners and thanks, Michelle, for hosting!

2. bridget {bake at 350} on September 30, 2009 at 12:35 am

Beautiful pictures!!! It’s almost like I can reach out and grab those chocolate cakes!

3. Beth G @SweetLifeKitchen on September 30, 2009 at 2:13 am

Yum!! Gorgeous winners, these all do look DELICIOUS! :)

4. VeggieGirl on September 30, 2009 at 7:53 am

MAJOR congratulations to the winners!!

5. sherri on September 30, 2009 at 8:08 am

The photos are gorgeous.

6. Liz Brooks on September 30, 2009 at 8:27 am

Wow, just, WOW. I’ve got a lot to learn about food photography!

7. Soma on September 30, 2009 at 9:22 am

Congrats to all the winners!!

I am thrilled Michelle :-D Thank you so much & lots of hugs to you:-D Now I will go do the joy dance.

8. Karen on September 30, 2009 at 9:25 am

Oh wow! This was unexpected especially since it’s my first entry to DMBLGIT ever and with all the other amazing photos! And to win it with fellow Sydneysider Lemonpi (who I’ve long admired) is very cool indeed.

Thanks Michelle for being a fabulous host! xx

9. Irina@PastryPal on September 30, 2009 at 10:35 am

That is so fantastic! I entered on a whim and am so grateful to have won second! It’s quite an honor as the submissions are always amazing. Thank you!

10. Christina on September 30, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Those are some incredible pictures! I love the colors in the gelato pic.

11. TammyJo Eckhart, PhD on September 30, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Those are great winners. I didn’t figure I’d win but I wanted to try. Thank you for hosting this Brown Eyed Baker.

12. wasabi prime on September 30, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Wow, that gelato looks amazing! Who am I kidding — ALL the photos are gorgeous. Huge blog kudos to winners, they deserve it!!

13. sefa on October 1, 2009 at 7:01 am

wowwww…. what a nice surprise!
    thanks a lot Michelle… and of course to the judges for choosing my photo as one of the winner..

congrats to all winner!

14. SpicieFoodie on October 1, 2009 at 8:56 am

Thank you Michelle for hosting this month, and thank you to all the judges too. There were some amazing photos submitted and it’s a very nice feeling to have been among the winners.
    Congratulations to all the winners !!

15. Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on October 1, 2009 at 11:30 am

CONGRATULATIONS to all the winners!!! What beautiful pictures =)

16. Amber on October 1, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Beautiful. That tomato tart is really stunning. Looks like lots of hard work went into these photos. Congratulations to all!

17. theUngourmet.blogspot.com on October 2, 2009 at 1:13 am

These are all so gorgeous! I love the color of the gelato in the cone!

18. Y on October 3, 2009 at 5:10 am

Congrats to all the winners! That caramelised tomato tart by Liz is especially stunning.

Also thanks to Michelle and all the judges (Shari, Megan, Pille and Vera) for my award!

19. kellypea on October 3, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Incredible photography on all — so inspirational. The color on that tart and on the blueberry gelato is really fantastic.

20. Wizzythestick on October 3, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Thanks for the feast! A feast for the eyes! All so inspirational

21. The Cookbook Apprentice on October 4, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Oh wow, such beautiful pictures, I want to eat it all! How I wish I could get a new fancy schmancy camera!

22. Pam on October 7, 2009 at 3:13 pm

That’s some mighty good lookin food!

23. Pille @ Nami-Nami on October 10, 2009 at 7:01 am

So glad to see that one of my favourites won the overall prize as well :)

24. Newmicon on October 10, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Creme Brulee, a personal favourite!

25. Brent2 on October 24, 2009 at 10:44 pm

The Blueberry Gelato looks amazing. I’d poke at it and see if I could make something more cherry though. It’d be nice to keep the purple contrast but I bet you could wind up with something similar in red.

26. Taisha Kandoll on April 16, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Hello.I am genuinely interested in that.Where can I discover more stuff about this? Some recommendations?

27. Pingback: citrajob | home of great information » DMBLGIT? March 2010 – Meet the Judges

28. Pingback: Blueberry Cheesecake