How to Roast Garlic

how-to-roast-garlic-main

In my previous post about the fabulous Potato Rosemary Bread you may remember that, aside from rosemary, the bread also included roasted garlic, which took the bread’s flavor to a whole new level of wonderful. I said that I would be following up with a tutorial about how to make it at home and, as promised, here it is! Roasting garlic is so incredibly simple and it can add robust flavor to countless dishes including breads, pizza, sauce, mashed potatoes, vegetables, and pasta, to name a few. Not to mention mixing it into things like butter or mayonnaise for a more “gourmet” condiment. Roasted garlic takes on a much milder flavor than raw garlic and as a result its uses are practically endless. With less than 10 minutes of active prep time, this is definitely a how-to that you’ll want to save and put to use again and again. Now let’s get roasting!

What you’ll need:
Whole head of garlic
Salt
Olive oil
Small baking dish (a ramekin works well)

Step 1
: Preheat oven to 375°F.

Step 2
Without breaking the head of garlic apart, remove as much of the outer papery coating as you can:

how-to-roast-garlic-1

Step 3
Cut off the pointed top part of the head, exposing a bit of each clove:

how-to-roast-garlic-2

Step 4
Coat the small baking dish with olive oil and place the garlic inside. Drizzle with olive oil (use 1 Tablespoon olive oil per one head of garlic) and sprinkle liberally with salt.

how-to-roast-garlic-3

Step 5
Cover with aluminum foil and bake until garlic is soft and able to be pierced easily with a paring knife, at least 40 minutes.

how-to-roast-garlic-4

Step 6
Let the garlic cool until it can be handled easily. The cloves will squeeze easily out of their skins.

how-to-roast-garlic-5

Step 7
Discard the skins and use your freshly roasted garlic in your favorite recipe!

how-to-roast-garlic-6

[email_link] | Print

28 Responses to “How to Roast Garlic”

1. Jessica @ How Sweet It Is on October 21, 2009 at 11:16 am

I love roasted garlic! I use it in SO many recipes and also did a tutorial a few weeks back. It is sooo yummy!!!

2. Ria on October 21, 2009 at 11:17 am

Brilliant tutorial!! Thanks for sharing it with us! And all the best for the Foodbuzz award nomination!

3. Eliana on October 21, 2009 at 11:58 am

Great tutorial! I love the flavor and aroma of roasted garlic.

4. Veronika Rojas on October 21, 2009 at 12:03 pm

This is a fantastic tutorial. I always appreciate instructions on how to do basic things, like roasting garlic. Those things are usually the most important. Thanks for sharing!

Oh, also I came back from Italy…I wanted to follow up withyou regarding your spumoni recipe and what I learned about authentic spumoni. Unfortunately I never saw any. :( But I got several shots of gelato. I’ll be posting them on my blog soon.

5. Amanda on October 21, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Love the tutorial, I cant wait to try it!
    How long will this keep? Can I stick in the fridge for a few days, weeks?
    Thanks!

6. Meghan on October 21, 2009 at 12:39 pm

I love the photo tutorial!!! I have a little terra cotta garlic roaster that I’ve only used once (unsuccessfully) – have you ever used one of those or heard about how it compares to just using a baking dish and foil?

7. Melissa on October 21, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I really appreciate the beautiful photos and directions. I love garlic and I never knew how to roast it. Thanks!

8. Sol on October 21, 2009 at 1:44 pm

The pictures are fantastic!

9. alta on October 21, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Great photos. I LOVE roasted garlic. Yum!

10. Lisa @ The Cooking Bride on October 21, 2009 at 3:57 pm

I have been thinking about that bread since your post yesterday. I have decided that tomorrow I am going to head out to the store a buy everything I need to make it!

11. BAKING is my ZeN on October 21, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Wonderful tutorial. I know how to do this…but enjoyed reading it. Great photos!

12. Soma on October 21, 2009 at 6:45 pm

This is our favorite (snack) LOL aren’t they lovely? & great with breads pasta anything.

I voted:-)

13. Sudeshna on October 22, 2009 at 2:21 am

This is absolutely brilliant. Is there any way to roast garlic in a microwave?

14. The Klutzy Cook on October 22, 2009 at 2:55 am

Great tutorial and photos. Thanks for sharing – I’m going to get roasting!

15. Divina on October 22, 2009 at 3:07 am

Beautiful photos – roasted garlic is a must. Thanks for sharing.

16. Cathy Davis on October 22, 2009 at 11:42 am

I just found your blog courtesy of FoodBuzz (the Rosemary Potato Bread looks delicious!) and I want to thank you for posting a tutorial for something as simple as this. I was never taught how to cook anything, except maybe canned soups, frozen fish sticks and boxed mac & cheese! LOL. Anytime, I’ve used a recipe calling for roasted garlic, I tossed a couple in a pan and heated them through – usually causing at least one burnt spot! Can’t wait to try it like this!! Thanks again! :-)

17. patsy on October 22, 2009 at 12:20 pm

I love roasted garlic! I try to remember add it to veggies when I’m roasting them… the flavor is amazing!

18. Michelle on October 22, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Hi Amanda – Yes, you can definitely store this in the refrigerator, I would say up to a week in an airtight container.

19. Michelle on October 22, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Hi Meghan – I have never used anything other than a ramekin with foil for roasting garlic, so I can’t say for sure how it would compare to the terra cotta roaster. If you give it a try in a ramekin, I’d love to know how they compare!

20. Michelle on October 22, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Hi Sudeshna,

I am not sure about using the microwave to roast garlic; I don’t think you would be able to achieve the same results.

21. Danielle on October 23, 2009 at 8:08 pm

yum…love garlic!

22. Jen on October 27, 2009 at 6:10 pm

The photography in this tutorial is so stunning that it’s making me want to go right now and eat an entire head of roasted garlic.

But then again that wouldn’t be so weird for me… I love garlic.

23. sheila on November 16, 2009 at 1:35 pm

hi Michelle, Your tutorial is filled with beautiful photos, as well as easy to follow step-by-step instructions. Thank you! I’m getting ready to roast some garlic now. We usually just take the skins off and then roast the garlic until it caramelizes, but I’m looking forward to trying it this way. :) Thanks again, and I’m looking forward to browsing your site to drool over the rest of your yummy baked foods. :) Happy baking! sheila

24. Pingback: Potato Rosemary Bread « Life with B's

25. Pingback: Creamy Potato & Leek Soup | Brown Eyed Baker

26. Pingback: Irish Cheddar, Roasted Garlic and Herb Twice-Baked Potatoes | EuroMex Cuisine

27. Pingback: Best Pinterest Posts » Slow Cooker Apple Butter

28. Pingback: Slow Cooker Apple Butter | Web Hosting Reviews, Linux Web Hosting, Windows Web Hosting