Penn State & NASA Cakes

psu-nasa-cakes-all

Last week I delivered a cake order to Penn State’s main campus in State College, PA for a conference that was being held by Penn State’s Astrophysics department in conjunction with NASA. The two organizations worked to develop and launch a satellite, Swift, and this conference marked the 5-year anniversary of the satellite going into orbit. The conference planners wanted to throw a little party at the end of the conference to celebrate the milestone.

We decided on creating three cakes – one representing Penn State, one representing NASA, and the third representing the actual satellite. All of the cakes are 12″ and 8″ stacked rounds, covered in fondant, with fondant stripes on the bottom tier to match the logo colors, with buttercream borders. One was a white cake with raspberry filling, one was a chocolate cake with a chocolate buttercream filling, and the third was a lemon cake with lemon buttercream filling.

The Penn State Nittany Lion logo was created using fondant:

psu-nasa-cakes-psu

The NASA logo was created using fondant, with the “swoosh” and stars on the logo decorated with white royal icing:

psu-nasa-cakes-nasa

The Swift cake included the program’s “Swift” logo in fondant on the front of the top tier, and a fondant depiction of the satellite itself on top:

psu-nasa-cakes-swift

This order was extremely well-received and it was fun to see some of the participants get a sneak peak of the cakes. They were all very excited about how they looked and enjoyed taking pictures of them.

18 Responses to “Penn State & NASA Cakes”

1. marina mott on November 24, 2009 at 3:31 am

You’re really an artist!! Very beautiful and fancy!

2. Ashley on November 24, 2009 at 9:49 am

Ahhh so this is what you were busy doing last week. They are so beautiful! (and look yummy!)

3. Jeanne on November 24, 2009 at 10:12 am

Beautiful cakes! I love the NASA logo!

4. Astrid on November 24, 2009 at 10:47 am

What an awesome opportunity! I visited Penn State a few years ago, because I got accepted to grad school there. It is a gorgeous campus. The cakes are absolutely beautiful!

5. Emily on November 24, 2009 at 11:11 am

These cakes are amazing! I graduated from Penn State five years ago, and I currently work for the local PBS station here in State College. Ironically, we’re doing some work for the SWIFT project, so I think these cakes are just so sweet (and I bet they tasted awesome, too). I have to share these photos with my colleagues!

6. BethieofVA on November 24, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Being a NASA brat myself, I love the logo! Great job!

7. Hannah on November 24, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Great use of fondant. I have not tried it yet, but I will soon!

8. Miranda on November 24, 2009 at 9:34 pm

GREAT JOB!!!! You did such an amazing job. You are so extremely talented.

9. Katrina on November 24, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Fabulous looking cakes!

10. Christine on November 24, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Wow. Those are awesome! I know that I would get really excited about a cake that looked like something I’d been working on for a really long time!

11. Pam on November 25, 2009 at 7:53 am

Your cakes are amazing! Great job done! Hubby and I visited State College a few years ago….a very nice place!

Enjoy!

12. Angela@spinachtiger on November 25, 2009 at 9:45 am

I graduated from Penn State. Just gorgeous.

13. Kerstin on November 25, 2009 at 11:39 am

Awesome job, they look perfect!

I would love a tutorial about how to cover cakes with fondant and stack them if you have time :) I just played with fondant for the first time and had fun with it, but I haven’t gotten up the courage to try covering a cake yet!

14. Baking is my Zen on November 25, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Wonderful job! My fav is the NASA fondant work.

15. Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on November 26, 2009 at 3:24 am

Very elegant cakes! you did a great job!

16. ang on November 26, 2009 at 11:31 am

Awesome cakes, cuz! You really are talented!!

17. The Cookbook Apprentice on November 29, 2009 at 2:10 am

These are just beautiful! I just started making fondant cakes myself. The creativity involved is so much fun.

18. Susan Hill on August 31, 2013 at 9:12 am

I would like to have a birthday cake delivered to my son, Derek Sein-Lwin at 200 E Beaver Ave, the SAE Frat house for his 20th birthday this Thursday, September 5th. I liked the fondant double layer Penn State Cake but would love a saying on it, Happy 20th Birthday, Derek.

Can you let me know the price and if you can do it?