10 Gift Ideas for the Foodies in Your Life

woman-in-kitchen

Last week I talked about how you could use your kitchen prowess for gift giving and provided some homemade food gift ideas. This week I want to chat about gifts that foodies would love. Maybe your sister, your best friend, or your aunt love to spend time in the kitchen and you’re looking for a unique gift idea. Perhaps you want to send something to your favorite blogging friend. Or maybe, just maybe, you’re looking to amp up your own wish list. I’m usually guilty of the latter. No matter who you’re shopping for, you’ll be sure to find some gems in the following list among the kitchen gadgets, cookbooks, food and other random goodies. The list is a hybrid of things on my own wish list and things I have that I think others would enjoy as well. Happy Shopping!!

beater-blade

1. Beater Blade ($19.95)
For those with stand mixers that use a paddle attachment, one of the most common complaints is needing to stop mixing periodically to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure that all of the ingredients are being completely incorporated. Enter Beater Blade. This replacement for the traditional paddle attachment (made to work with all of the different Kitchen Aid models, as well as the Cuisinart and Viking stand mixers) keeps the sides of the bowl clean, eliminating the need to stop and scrape, so you can cut down on your mixing time and get those cookies in the oven even faster.

super-peel-pizza-peel2

2. Super Peel Pizza Peel ($36.95)
This is high on my own personal wish list. If you have ever tried making a homemade pizza and getting a prepared pizza onto a preheated baking stone, you know that it can be an ugly task. A good pizza peel will make the process a cinch, and this particular peel has been given the Highest Recommended tag by Cook’s Illustrated.

classic-travel-corkscrew
3. Screwpull Classic Travel Corkscrew ($19.95)
So, sometimes the smallest and easiest tasks cause me the most trouble. Like opening a bottle of wine. I have completely destroyed wine corks before, so a corkscrew that’s easy to use is something I need to desperately add to my kitchen drawers. This particular one has received superb reviews, so I think I need to have it.

foodie-handbook
4. The Foodie Handbook by Pim Techamuanvivit ($16.47)
Pim was one of the first food bloggers in the industry (her site is Chez Pim) and she paved the way for the thousands of sites that now flourish today. In this book, she collects tips, secrets, anecdotes, and recipes from the world’s top chefs. I imagine it will be a must-have for anyone who loves to eat, read write or talk about food, or spends time looking at food websites.

cooling-rack
5. Cooling Racks ($16.00)
It’s December. Do you have visions of cookies sitting on every inch of your counter and not nearly enough cooling racks? I’ve been there, and it can be overwhelming. I found these cooling racks a couple of years ago and they are absolutely awesome. With a tight grid, they don’t leave indentations on the bottom of the cookies, and they are the perfect size for fitting inside a half-sheet pan for other uses as well. I already have two of these and would like to get two more.

ice-cream-scoop
6. Rösle Ice Cream Scoop ($21.49)
Every household needs a good ice cream scoop. It may be winter, but the warm weather will be back before we know it, so get ready for ice cream scooping!

thermapen-instant-read-thermometer
7. Thermapen Instant Read Thermometer ($96.00)
Cooking meats to the correct internal temperature can mean the difference between a barbecue success and a trip to the ER. Maybe that’s a little dramatic. But, food safety is a big issue nowadays, and the best way to make sure your food is free of bacteria is to cook it to the correct temperature. And on the baking front, instant read thermometers can be used to measure the internal temperature of bread to ensure it’s done baking, and for knowing the temperature of things such as custards. I’ve been wanting this Thermapen for years…

vanilla-fig-balsamic-vinegar
8. Vanilla & Fig Balsamic Vinegar ($16.99)
Temecula Olive Oil Company produces some sensational olive oils and vinegars that you will definitely want to check out. Clara at I Heart Food 4 Thought found these months ago and I was drooling; I saved the link with Christmas specifically in mind. Favorites include the Roasted Garlic Olive Oil and the California Pomegranate Vinegar.

penzeys
9. Penzeys Gift Card
Penzeys Spices have locations around the U.S. as well as an online store, and is a great place to stock up on pantry essentials such as spices, extracts and cocoa powder. I purchase my Dutch-processed cocoa from them, as well as some other spices. They have great blends like fajita seasoning, pizza seasoning, as well as things liked candied ginger, chili peppers and Viatnamese cinnamon.

bon-appetit
10. Magazine Subscriptions
I love the days when a new Cook’s Illustrated or Bon Appetit shows up in the mail. It makes me want to curl up with a mug of hot chocolate and read them from cover to cover. Some other titles that foodies may appreciate: Food & Wine, Cooking Light, Everyday Food, and Saveur

♦     ♦     ♦     ♦     ♦

What else is on your wish list, or what are you buying for the food-lover in your life?

[email_link] | Print

22 Responses to “10 Gift Ideas for the Foodies in Your Life”

1. Feast on the Cheap on December 7, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Yup, that Vanilla & Fig Balsamic Vinegar is now on my wish list. Or, “wish i had it right now,” list.

2. Suzanne on December 7, 2009 at 5:07 pm

oh I love the Beater Blade idea! What a panic in my bakin’ butt having to scrap down the bowl. That’s going on my list immediately!

thanks!
    Suzanne

3. Christine on December 7, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Great list! I have a thermapen (from last christmas) and I LOVE IT SO MUCH! I use it all the time, and it really makes you a better cook when you can quickly get the temp of your food.

I think I need that pizza peel and foodie book now….off to add them to my amazon wish list… :)

4. Jessie on December 7, 2009 at 6:43 pm

A subscription to Cooking Light is definitely on my Christmas list.

5. Shauna on December 7, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Loved this post! These are all great ideas.

I am also notorious for not being able to open a bottle of wine with a regular old fashioned cork screw. :P

6. Brie on December 7, 2009 at 8:29 pm

::drools:: i have to get a bottle of the Vanilla & Fig Balsamic Vinegar! and that beater blade! i also make sure to update my subscription to Cooking Light so I never miss one. great ideas – thanks! :)

7. Sally on December 7, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Beater Blade! That is gold.. I must get that!

8. Karen on December 7, 2009 at 11:45 pm

The Beater Blade is the absolutely best gift a person with a Kitchen Aid could receive. It washes beautifully in the dishwasher and works like a charm. A wonderful baking tool.

9. The Klutzy Cook on December 8, 2009 at 1:52 am

The Beater Blade is on my list but I hadn’t heard of Vanilla & Fig Balsamic Vinegar until now. The list continues to grow…and grow…and grow.

10. Stephanie on December 8, 2009 at 9:00 am

Oooh, yeah! A Penzey’s gift card would be coool! I’ve never seen a beater blade…now it’s on my wishlist! ;-)

11. stephchows on December 8, 2009 at 9:57 am

great list! and I know exactly what you mean by needing more cooling racks!

12. Krystle on December 8, 2009 at 9:58 am

I think the beater blade and the thermometer are going on my list now! Thanks for sharing!

13. Alissa on December 8, 2009 at 10:01 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Penzey’s Spices. LOVE them. Did I say I love them?

14. Rachel J on December 8, 2009 at 11:17 am

I love this list! I need a peel, cooling racks, and a thermometer! Oh, and I am getting my Aunt a magazine subscription to La Cucina Italiana for Christmas. LOL

15. Jamie G. Dougherty (JAMIE|LIVING) on December 8, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Great stuff! I recently wrote an article on Must Have Foodie Gifts. I think you might like it. Thanks for the great ideas. http://www.examiner.com/x-20238-SF-Life-Coach-Examiner~y2009m11d24-Must-have-holiday-gifts-for-the-food-fanatic

16. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on December 8, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Love all of the gift recommendations! I’ve been seeing the beater blade on everyone’s lists… I need to get one of those! Hopefully Santa will bring one for me this year! :)

17. Mari @ Secrets of a Kitchen Wizard on December 9, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Great post! Ice cream scoopers are great for making everything the same size, easily… meatballs, crab cakes etc. (A great stocking stuffer too!)

18. ValleyWriter on December 9, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Great ideas! Maybe I’ll ask the hubby for an early gift of cooling racks – they sure would help with the holiday baking!

19. wasabi prime on December 11, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Oh my, I think my jaw dropped a little when I saw the scraper blade. I just got done with a marathon cookie baking session and it was start/stop/start/stop to scrape down the bowl to make sure everything was getting incorporated. I may have to drop a hint to Mr. Wasabi on that one… And the vanilla and fig balsamic looks amazing!

20. Pingback: 5 Fabulous Foodie Gifts for Christmas 2010 | Brown Eyed Baker

21. Pingback: SCREWPULL CLASSIC CORKSCREW | Kitchen Appliances & Accessories

22. Amalia on December 7, 2011 at 12:02 am

This is a really great list, I want all of them! I need some more cooling racks asap!