20 iPhone Food Apps to Feast On

iphone-food-apps

If you’re like most iPhone users, the phone is likely attached to your hip and goes wherever you go, including the kitchen and grocery store. I used to drag my laptop into the kitchen with me, but since getting an iPhone some 18 months ago, I find that I am relying less on my laptop and more on my space-saving phone to pull up recipes or conversions, or set a timer while I am in the kitchen. It can also be great for organizing lists for the grocery store and getting dinner ideas. I have found many great food-related apps that I use on an almost daily basis and thought that since many of you may be iPhone users as well, you might enjoy having some new apps to download and play with. From recipe databases to farmer’s market locators and grocery lists, you will be sure to find something that interests you in this list!

allrecipes 1. Allrecipes.com Dinner Spinner (Price: FREE)
The Dinner Spinner allows you to not only search for recipes by keyword, but also allows you to select the type of dish you want to make (breakfast, appetizer, cookies, etc.), a main ingredient (fruit, pasta, shellfish, etc.), and how much time you have to prepare it. The spinner then shows you all of the recipes in its database that matches your criteria.

convert 2. Convert (Price: $0.99)
This is a great converter for just about anything you could imagine. When you need to change a recipe quantity from grams to ounces, this makes it super easy. I may have also used it to see how fast the men’s downhill skiers were going when the TV flashed 113km/hr (that’s 70mph folks!).

cooking-time 3. CookingTime (Price: $1.99)
This is a massive app that includes a recipe database, ability to build a grocery list, has five timers, and will tell you how long your entire meal will take to cook, broken into steps.

cook-well 4. CookWell (Price: $1.99)
This is designed for beginner cooks and includes seven modules to help you get started in the kitchen. A seven-day meal plan is also included.

epicurious 5. Epicurious (Price: FREE)
You can browse, search and save recipes from the database of over 27,000 that includes all Gourmet and Bon Appetit recipes as well. You can create shopping lists from the recipes email recipes to others.

food-network

6. Food Network (Price: FREE)
Access the Food Network recipe database to save and email your favorites, as well as watch clips from episodes and review the TV schedule to see what is coming up.

food-substitutes 7. Food Substitutes (Price: $0.99)
Need to know how to substitute all-purpose flour for cake flour, or can’t find cream of tartar where you live and need a substitute? You can find food substitutes for recipes in eight different categories with this app.

fromage 8. Fromage (Price: $2.99)
This is essentially an electronic pocketbook of cheeses and includes over 650 global varieties. It includes a flavor description of the cheese, the region it is from, and wine pairing suggestions. You can also add your own notes about cheeses you like, where you tasted them, the price, and build your own favorites or shopping list.

gourmet-timer 9. Gourmet Timer (Price: $0.99)
This app has four independent timers that you can label with customized titles so you know which pot to check when it goes off.

groceries 10. Groceries (Price: $1.99)
An alternative to pen and paper shopping lists, you can organize your grocery list in this app with quantities and even organize the list by aisle.

grocery-iq 11. Grocery iQ (Price: $0.99)
Another grocery list app, Grocery iQ to create lists and sort by aisle. Additional features include the ability to add products simply by scanning their barcode, find coupons and print them or load them to your store loyalty card, and add product details.

ifarmmarket 12. iFarmMarket (Price: $0.99)
Database of over 4,600 farmer’s markets across the U.S. – find one closest to you, get the address as well as the schedule and hours.

kitchen-calculator 13. Kitchen Calculator (Price: $1.99)
Converts a myriad of kitchen measurements such as tablespoons to teaspoons and cups to millileters, with the ability to input fractions or decimals.

locavore 14. Locavore (Price: $2.99)
As part of the broad movement to eat locally grown foods when they are in season, this app takes all of the guess work out of it. It automatically detects what state you’re in and displays which foods are in season near you, as well as farmet’s markets near you and food detail pages.

mise-en-place 15. Mise En Place (Price: $2.99)
Mise en place is a popular method for prepping ingredients before beginning to cook, and this app provides a timeline and task list for scheduled meals.

pocket-cocktails 16. Pocket Cocktails (Price: $0.99)
Includes over 350 cocktail recipes, all with full-color photos.

ratio 17. Ratio (Price: $4.99)
Developed by Michael Ruhlman and based on his book, Ratio, this app helps you calculate the amount of ingredients in most fundamental cooking preparations. Included are the 32 critical ratios, a calculator and converter, and ways to save and share recipes.

seasons 18. Seasons (Price: $1.99)
Much like the Locavore app, Seasons tells you which fruits, vegetables, lettuces, herbs, fungi and nuts are in season in your local area.

tap-grocer 19. Tap Grocer (Price: $2.99)
This is another grocery list app, but with a little more pizzazz – you can track your own pantry and refrigerator inventory. When you mark something as gone, it gets added to your list. When you buy it and cross it off the list, it is marked as stocked.

urbanspoon 20. Urbanspoon (Price: FREE)
Even the most enthusiastic foodies need a break from cooking, and urbanspoon helps locate restaurants near you. Search by neighborhood, cuisine or price, or see a list of all restaurants in the vicinity.

Are there any other food-related iPhone apps that I haven’t mentioned that you use and love? Include them in the comments below!

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Apple or any of the developers for the above-mentioned apps, just an iPhone customer who also happens to be a foodie.

34 Responses to “20 iPhone Food Apps to Feast On”

1. Mary Poppins in Heels on February 18, 2010 at 10:13 am

Wow, who knew?! (Certainly not me. I’m stuck in the last century with my Razor. And I don’t even think that’s how you spell it, is it?)

2. B on February 18, 2010 at 10:20 am

I love Urban Spoon!

3. Pennies On a Platter on February 18, 2010 at 10:27 am

I use the AllRecipes app all the time! Thanks for the other suggestions!

4. Courtney on February 18, 2010 at 10:28 am

I really need an iPhone! I just wish I wouldn’t have to leave my current wireless carrier to do so.

5. Jen on February 18, 2010 at 10:32 am

I love the Epicurious App – I use it all the time. I also have a McCormick Recipe Finder App and just downloaded CellFire for grocery coupons.

6. Jen on February 18, 2010 at 10:37 am

20min meals w/ Jamie Oliver app is awesome. A tad pricey, $8 bucks, but totally worth the money. It’s got a dowloadable shopping list, brilliant pictures, step-by-step instructions including videos & cooking tips. The list of recipes are limited, but once you have the app & it updates with more recipes it’s free to update.

7. Jade on February 18, 2010 at 10:49 am

I normally cook brownies out of a box. I know, horrible! But my husband just can’t get over eating a brownie that is homemade. I have to change his mind! Oh, and I am a fan on facebook. I love your site!

8. Married to an Aussie in OK on February 18, 2010 at 10:53 am

Big Oven and Betty Crocker Cookbook are both on mine (as well as Allrecipes and the Food Network app). There are days I honestly don’t know how I’d live without them!

9. Maria on February 18, 2010 at 10:57 am

Getting out my phone to start adding aps:) Thanks!

10. Disha on February 18, 2010 at 11:13 am

I used to do the exact same thing before my iPhone! Take the laptop to the kitchen! I am so in love the iPhone! N the epicurious app is the best! Thanks for sharing this list!

11. Heather on February 18, 2010 at 11:25 am

I got in to googling for recipes on my laptop a while ago. That’s how I discovered food blogging. It saves money on cookbooks and time on looking through them all for the right recipe. Haven’t downloaded any of the above on my iphone yet but having read through your reviews will definitely give some of them a go. Thanks.

12. Amy (Sing For Your Supper) on February 18, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I have (and love) most of these! My favorite is Grocery IQ – I use that one all the time!

13. Eliana on February 18, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Awesome list. I heart my iPhone.

14. Tracey on February 18, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Fun list! I have a few of those but will look into some of the others. I love my iPhone too!

15. Veronica on February 18, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I was watching Martha Stewart Show yesterday and she just unvailed her Everyday Food Mag IPhone App.

16. Risa on February 18, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I love my betty crocker cookbook app, use it all the time (plus the allrecipes, McCormick recipe finder and food network)

17. Jessica Oswald on February 18, 2010 at 9:12 pm

You should also try iFood Assistant from Kraft Foods; I believe it’s only $0.99. I really enjoy that one and Urban Spoon.

• Robin on January 25th, 2014 at 8:11 pm

That was one of my 1st iPhone food apps…love it!

18. Natalie MacLean on February 19, 2010 at 9:21 am

Wonderful post Michelle!

I just launched a free wine mobile app that includes thousands of wine and food pairings, recipes, articles and reviews. I’d love to know what you and others here think of it:

Cheers,
    Natalie

Author of Red, White and Drunk All Over

19. Jen on February 19, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Thanks Natalie! Your app looks wonderful! I can’t wait to try it out when I visit San Fran in a few weeks. :) Oh! I also love UrbanSpoon! Thanks for all the recommends.

20. Branka Klinec on February 20, 2010 at 9:54 am

Came across another amazing i phone/pod app. It’s an easy to follow video tutorial on how to make flat breads. The breads look amazing, and after l finished making them l was very impressed!! Can hardly wait for her next video to come out. Here is the link for the app. http://dailyappshow.com/cooking-with-eat-drink-talk-lighter-than-air-flatbreads and check out her website Eat Drink Talk, for free over the top recipes!

21. Denise on February 22, 2010 at 11:36 am

iChef is pretty cool too. I also have Whole Foods, Baked Goods, Drinks Free and Mixology.. I love Food Network app and the Big Oven app also… All of them help me out being a culinary student.

22. Gormaya on March 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Check out TasteTimer for tea, coffee, egg, and grill timing.

Video at http://tastetimer.com

23. wendy on March 25, 2010 at 11:13 am

Instead of a paid conversion app, i use a free app called Convert Units. It also converts many, many types of units, but also tons of measurements i’ve used in the kitchen! :) I’m all about the FREE apps! ;)

24. Renee (Kudos Kookies) on June 1, 2010 at 9:08 am

I just love this post and I’m glad I found it today. I just recently got an iphone and have been searching through the aps trying to figure out which I would use the most. I have downloaded a few free ones but I’m totally excited to see the one called tap grocer. If it makes life easier, I’m all for speding the extra $.
    BTW, love your new site. Best of luck and continued success in your postings.

25. mcornelius on October 5, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I just wanted to share this amazing app that I found called Sweet’N'Spicy at http://itunes.apple.com/app/sweennspicy/id393738867 from Fullmeals.net. It has everything! It has over 3000 recipes non-vegetarian, vegetarian and vegan. I’ve never seen so many recipes! And it’s free! :D

26. ami on January 22, 2011 at 9:25 pm

thank you so much. I’m going to download these right now!

27. Fadi on February 1, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Hey everyone! I found also a great app on oriental cuisine, it’s called “100 Lebanese Recipes”, it’s 100 middle-eastern recipes. All with high quality pics :-) It also has glossary of terms and unit converter. Check it out, really enjoyed it! http://itunes.apple.com/app/100-lebanese-recipes/id405852650

28. Pingback: Sundae’s Links | Foody Friday

29. Pingback: Sweet Stuff Happening in Android and iPhone | Shockoe

30. bobbie noto on April 3, 2011 at 10:14 am

Hi,
    Have you every tried the Culinary Calculator, not only can convert weight grams to common US measurement, common to grams, but substitutions for almost every thing in both weights (i.e. pastry flour to cake flour, if your out of buttermilk a list of substitutions will pop up!) It has unusually ingredients for all around the world. You can also add your own ingredients. The Culinary Calculator also converts volume liters to common us measurement. Take a look on apple store or it has a Facebook fan page or http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/culinary-calculator-pro/id331543567?mt=8

31. Pingback: Valuable Food and Savings Programs

32. Couscousrecipe on November 4, 2013 at 7:46 am

This is a terrific web page, will you be involved in doing an interview about just how you created it? If so e-mail me!