Oldies But Goodies {#1}

Oldies but Goodies

You know how when you have a fabulous pair of jeans you want to wear them all the time, wear them everywhere, never take them off? But then eventually you get a new pair of equally fabulous jeans, and little by little, the old pair find their way further and further into the deep recesses of your closet? Sometimes you even forget you still have those amazing jeans. You still love them, of course, but it’s just now you have something newer. The same phenomenon often happens with recipes. The Dark Chocolate Chip Scones that you still make all the time and are your mom’s favorite can get swallowed up in the deep recesses of the archives closet. After receiving some comments from readers about enjoying when I link back to old recipes that they may not have found otherwise, I decided to start a monthly feature here on Brown Eyed Baker, aptly named Oldies but Goodies.

At the end of each month I will highlight recipes from the archives that I have actually made during that month. It goes without saying that I do a lot more cooking and baking during the course of a month than shows up on this site, and many times I make favorite recipes. This is a way to share some of the things I’ve been up to in the kitchen, and for you to discover new recipes from the archives that you may not have otherwise stumbled upon. I hope you enjoy!

Let’s get to the February recipes! (Hint: There’s an abundance of chocolate and peanut butter!)

A birthday and Valentine’s festivities had me whipping up some of my favorites this month!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Torte

Chocolate Peanut Butter Torte

Otherwise known as pretty-much-the-best-thing-ever. It was my Chief Culinary Consultant’s birthday earlier this month and I asked what he’d like me to bake for him. He said he’d take a look at the site and pick something. A few days later he told me he had chosen this torte. I couldn’t wait to make it (and eat it) again! Picture this: birthday weekend, snowed in during a blizzard, and THIS in the refrigerator. Doesn’t get much better than that! Needless to say we enjoyed this for days on end. We even went so far as to justify eating dessert after breakfast on more than one occasion :)

Cranberry-White Chocolate Chip Almond Biscotti

Cranberry-White Chocolate Chip Almond Biscotti

These biscotti are fairly new to the site, but I have been making them for quite a long time, so they are a personal archive favorite! One of my sister’s best friends lost her grandfather this month, and my sister asked if I could bake some biscotti for her to take over to the family (they are Italian). These are a favorite with everyone who tastes them, so I whipped up a batch for her.

Cheesecake Truffles

Cheesecake Truffles

I have yet to meet a truffle that I didn’t like, and these rank at the top of my list. Creamy cheesecake is covered in decadent dark chocolate. Each bite is like a little bit of heaven singing in your mouth. Truly fabulous. I made these this month for a Valentine’s order. And I may have enjoyed one more than one of the leftovers.

Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Crisp Squares

Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Crisp Squares

These are basically peanut butter rice krispy treats, cut into small candy-size squares, and covered in chocolate. The pink drizzle dressed them up for the Valentine’s order. Once again, peanut butter and chocolate hit a home run.

Marshmallow Crunch Brownie Bars

Marshmallow Crunch Brownie Bars

Having been dubbed “magical”, these brownies are no joke. A super rich brownie batter, topped with marshmallows that puff and get gooey in the oven, and THAT is topped with a mixture of rice krispies, peanut butter, and chocolate, all melted together. I’ve made these countless times since my first batch and they get rave reviews wherever they go.

Do you have a favorite recipe that you made during the month of February?

17 Responses to “Oldies But Goodies {#1}”

1. jennifer on February 26, 2010 at 1:44 am

i’m so happy to see you post your oldies but goodies! cuz then i can make them my goodies too!! i’m alllllllllllll over that dark choc chip scone recipe and the choc pb torte!! amazing!

2. kitlaura on February 26, 2010 at 3:28 am

Hi
    so thoughtful of you to come up with another blog to share your yummy receipes. thanks a million.
    best regards
    lori

3. Meghan on February 26, 2010 at 9:23 am

I think this is a great idea! Really great recipes tend to get lost in the archives of blogs that have been going strong for a long time, like yours. Sometimes I’ll browse through past recipes but it’s nice to hear what stands out to you in particular enough to make again and again. I love the chocolate chip scones by the way, and I think I need to make those cheesecake truffles!

4. Bob on February 26, 2010 at 9:48 am

Wow, all that stuff looks awesome.

5. Roti n Rice on February 26, 2010 at 11:18 am

I was at the store yesterday debating whether to buy a box of biscotti to go with my tea. I have to try your Cranberry White Choc Chip Almond ones. They look really good!

6. The Cookie Girl on February 26, 2010 at 11:41 am

You can never go wrong with cheesecake truffles. Yum!!!
    I’m glad you posted these. :)

7. jaclyn@todayslady on February 26, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies! I don’t bake too often (mostly cook) but my goal for the next month is to bake more. I’m definitely coming to your blog for inspiration!

8. Melanie on February 26, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I love this “Oldies but goodies” thing. Great plan!

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE chocolate and peanut butter.

9. Maria on February 26, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Love this idea. Everything looks wonderful…like always:)

10. Cahide(Turkish food) on February 27, 2010 at 7:57 am

Hepsi birbirinden güzel…

11. Sinful Southern Sweets on February 27, 2010 at 7:59 am

Oh, dear, I am so glad to have found your site and so scared as to what it will do to my waistline. Looking forward to more sinful treats!

12. Eliana on February 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I am loving all these oldies! Can’t decide which is my favorite.

13. Liren on February 28, 2010 at 11:57 am

The oldies are definitely goodies! They all look so fantastic :) Gotta see what I have in the pantry so I can try them (hopefully today!). Congrats on Top 9, too!

14. marla {family fresh cooking} on February 28, 2010 at 10:49 pm

All these desserts look awesome! The photo of the truffles is gorgeous!

15. ashley on March 1, 2010 at 11:03 am

i’m gonna have to try those Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Crisp Squares!

16. Jencrafted on March 9, 2010 at 8:58 am

I’ve been making Giada’s (FoodNetWork) biscotti for Christmas since 2006. I must try your recipe cranberry!

17. Pingback: Cheesecake Truffles