Tinkerbell Birthday Cake

Tinkerbell Birthday Cake

This is a recent cake that I did for a client who was throwing a Tinkerbell-themed party for her daughter’s 2nd birthday. This is a quarter sheet cake with a white almond batter and vanilla bean buttercream filling. The cake is decorated completely in buttercream. The client wanted the cake to have a depiction of Tinkerbell, suggested some pixie dust, and lots of bright colors. It has been quite awhile since I did a cake completely in buttercream since most of my recent cakes have been all fondant, and I had such a blast decorating this cake. I especially loved how fun the borders were to create with multiple designs and colors. The client loved the cake and I’m sure her little girl enjoyed her Tinkerbell birthday party!

29 Responses to “Tinkerbell Birthday Cake”

1. Jenny from Lucky in Love on March 11, 2010 at 11:10 am

That border looks awesome!! Great job!

2. the wicked noodle on March 11, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Gorgeous! My girls would LOVE to have this cake for their birthday!

3. Mallika on March 11, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Wow! What a brilliant creation!!! It is so perfect in every possible angle I see. Beautiful indeed!

4. Lauren on March 11, 2010 at 1:03 pm

This cake is adorable! I love how you did the multi-color zig zag border, such a cute idea!

5. J. Green on March 11, 2010 at 3:19 pm

This looks great! Is there a recipe for the cake and frosting. I would love to try it!

6. Married to an Aussie in OK on March 11, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I agree! I seriously love the border!!!

7. Heidi on March 11, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Way to go! It’s adorable and buttercream is so yummy. Always a hit with the kiddos.

8. Todd M on March 11, 2010 at 5:01 pm

The border looks great? How did you do the tinkerbell in Buttercream?

9. Michelle on March 11, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Hi Todd, I did a piping gel transfer of Tinkerbell from a blank coloring page I printed out. Then I outlined the figure in black buttercream, and used different colors of buttercream to fill in all of the areas.

10. Jennifer Plank on March 11, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Once again, beautiful. Are the recipes you used available? The 2 cake that you made with the hammer, what kind is that? I adore that cake. I also read that you took the Wilton classes, what was your experience level prior to taking the classes? I need to take those but wondered how effective they were. Thanks in advance for your response.

Jennifer

11. Michelle on March 11, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Thank you Jennifer! I will be posting about the buttercream next week, so stay tuned! The #2 cake and the hammer cake were both covered in fondant. Prior to taking the Wilton classes I had never decorated a cake in my life ;-) Well, I had FROSTED cakes, but that was the extend of it. I had no prior experience with decorating whatsoever. I thought they were GREAT! I learned a lot.

12. Ram on March 11, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Would you mind posting the whole recipe and procedure step-by-step, pretty please….thanks!

13. Michelle on March 11, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Hi Ram, I will be posting the buttercream recipe next week, so stay tuned! As far as posting step-by-step directions, I will be sure to do so the next time I make a similar cake. Unfortunately I didn’t stop to take step-by-step pictures while decorating this cake, so I don’t really have a tutorial lined up. I will add it to the list though and work on getting one up soon!

14. Jeanne on March 11, 2010 at 8:52 pm

It’s beautiful! I just love how you did the borders, and great color combo!

15. Pilar on March 11, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Love the cake! i had a similar request from my daughter in January. I used the wilton Tinkerbell pan and royal icing for the decorations
    I really like your borders, super nice.

16. bridget {bake at 350} on March 12, 2010 at 8:16 am

Wow…you did a great job with that!!! So cute!

17. Meghan on March 12, 2010 at 8:58 am

This is such a beautiful cake! I’m sure the little girl loved it! Cake decorating is so much fun :)

18. Eliana on March 12, 2010 at 10:41 am

This cake looks gorgeous! I absolutely love it.

19. Isabel on March 12, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Great Job! Love the border – how’d you do that??
    I’ve done buttercream transfers of images – that is when you trace the image on a piece of glass then freeze and once frozen you flip it over on the cake – it’s a lot of fun!

20. enrolled agent course on March 13, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Such a lovely cake! Themed parties such as this one are becoming the trend right now for birthdays.

21. Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on March 15, 2010 at 10:48 am

Wow, I love the way you did the top borders! Very innovative!

22. Lisa on March 17, 2010 at 12:08 am

Wow this cake is just lovely!! Would u be able to email me the buttercream frosting you used?
    Thanks!
    Lisa :)

23. Mary Poppins in Heels on March 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm

So pretty! How could a little girl not love this cake?!

24. Jennifer on April 15, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I adore the zig zag border and your text on the cake. My writing is still a bit scary, but practice makes perfect! I’m sure this cake made the birthday girl’s day!

25. MOrris Hudson on May 27, 2010 at 9:34 am

I love Hammer Horror. Been a big fan since I was a kid. My bro and I loved the Dracula and Frankenstein movies. I highly recommend some of the more obscure vampire titles such as Vampire Circus, Twins of Evil, and Kiss of the Vampire. They are very enjoyable movies and shouldn’t be missed by Hammer fans even though they don’t star Cushing and Lee.

26. simone on May 26, 2011 at 1:44 pm

hi michelle, i love your site. its now my goto for all my baking needs. i also do cakes and was wondering if you could share your fondant recipe …i have a wedding cake to do in july and would love to surprise them with the cake.. thanks

• Michelle on May 26th, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Hi Simone, I actually don’t make my fondant, I purchase it – either Wilton or Satin Ice brand. Satin Ice tastes way better, but I can’t always find it. Enjoy!

27. Erin on January 17, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Awe Michelle…I didn’t know you posted this cake online! It looks as beautiful in the picture as it did in person! We still talk about how yummy it was! It was the perfect touch to our little one’s 2nd birthday! I can’t believe it will be 2 years next month! I may be contacting you again :)

28. Pingback: Grasshopper Mint Chocolate Bark | Brown Eyed Baker