St. Patrick’s Day Recipes

st-patricks-day

Ahh, St. Patrick’s Day. The day to revel in all things Irish and green: corned beef and cabbage, corned beef hash, Irish soda bread, green beer, Irish Car Bomb shots, Irish stew, and anything and everything that can be colored green with food coloring… The list is long and there are loads of options out there if you want to whip up some traditional Irish fare. To help you narrow down the list a bit, below you’ll find a few ideas for bread and sweets to include in your St. Patrick’s Day celebrations.

Irish Soda Bread

Irish Soda Bread

A St. Patrick’s Day classic, it’s a quick bread and absolutely delicious slathered in butter. A wonderful breakfast treat!

Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Cookies

Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Cookies

Shortbread is another classic Scotch-Irish recipe that is not only melt-in-your-mouth delicious, but amazingly simple to make. Buttery and crisp, perfect with your morning or evening cup of tea.

St. Patrick's Day Shamrock Cookies

Shamrock Sugar Cookies

I think that any holiday or special occasion is a great excuse to decorate a batch of sugar cookies, and St. Patrick’s Day is no exception. There are many decorating ideas: sprinkles, smiley faces, Irish sayings, and hearts. Check them out!

More St. Patrick’s Day food ideas:

- St. Patrick’s Day recipes from Simply Recipes
- St. Patrick’s Day cookie ideas from Bake at 350

What are you doing to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?

15 Responses to “St. Patrick’s Day Recipes”

1. Mallika on March 12, 2010 at 1:05 am

Hey, I love ur Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Cookies a lot. Such a perfected recipe it looks to be! Brilliant presentation too!!!

2. the wicked noodle on March 12, 2010 at 6:52 am

I’m making my Guinness Corned Beef & Cabbage, but one of these yummy desserts might be a nice ending to our meal!

3. Katrina on March 12, 2010 at 9:42 am

I like the shamrock sugar cookies. They look awesome!

4. Eliana on March 12, 2010 at 10:34 am

Hmmmm – these all sound delicious. You have just inspired me to make irish soda bread this weekend. Which I have never had but have heard is quite tasty.

5. jaclyn@todayslady on March 12, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I’ve never tried Irish Soda Bread but if you say it’s good, then it must be!!

6. enrolled agent course on March 13, 2010 at 8:58 pm

A lot of people are waiting for St. Patrick’s Day. The recipes in here are definitely worth trying.

7. Aimee on March 14, 2010 at 9:25 am

I am making Beef and Guinness stew – a recipe I have from my Gourmet Slow Cooker Cookbook! I cant wait! Erin Go Bragh!

8. Erica on March 15, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I love shortbread cookies because they aren’t too sweet and crunchy. Your recipe looks great! What’s a good meltable dark chocolate you like?

9. Michelle on March 15, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Hi Erica, I love Ghiradelli chocolate and use it for pretty much everything!

10. Jayne on March 16, 2010 at 11:06 am

I love Irish Soda Bread, my mom has made is since I was a wee one! She always stuck a little Irish flag on top…it’s yummy!

11. Michelle on March 16, 2010 at 1:13 pm

The Shamrock Cookies are so cute!

12. Christine Rogers on March 16, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Can you give me a good sugar cookie frosting recipe? Mine never turns out smooth and lovely like on your shamrock cookies. It either runs off the side and never fully dries, or is too stiff and doesn’t flow right. Help!

13. Sinful Southern Sweets on March 16, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Great looking St. Patty’s Day recipes!! I’m hoping to have an all green breakfast tomorrow:)

14. Fuji Mama on March 17, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Such a great assortment! I’m a total sucker for shortbread, so I think I’m going to have to try out your chocolate dipped shortbread recipe this weekend. My 3-year-old just saw the picture of the shamrock cookies and said, “Ooooh, I need dat!” :)

15. bridget {bake at 350} on March 11, 2011 at 8:42 am

Aren’t you sweet?!? Thank you so much for the linky love! :) I’ve missed chatting with you! :)