Super Mario Brothers Birthday Cake

This was easily the most fun cake I have made to date. For any kid who grew up in the 1980′s, there is undoubtedly a soft spot in your heart for Nintendo and Super Mario Brothers. When an old friend asked about doing a Super Mario Brothers cake for her boyfriend’s 30th birthday, I was giddy. I couldn’t wait to get started. I wanted to depict all of the old, traditional pieces of the original game, but since they play the New Super Mario Brothers game on the Wii I decided to use that scenic backdrop, and I was thrilled with how it turned out.

Can you hear the music? “Do do do, do do do doo do, do do doo!…”

Everything on the cake was created with fondant and edible; I used toothpicks to create the detail on the bricks, coins and turtle and used a black edible marker for the faces and goomba legs. For the star topper, I pre-measured craft wire that I get at Michael’s, so that it would go about 1/3 of the way up the star, and the whole way into the top layer of the cake for support. I cut out the star, brushed on a little water, then gently pressed the wire onto what would be the back. I then cut another star and laid it on top of the wire and gently pressed it into the other star. This sealed them together, and the wire between them, to create a sturdy support for the topper. I let it dry overnight before adding it to the top of the cake before delivery.

A 360-degree look at the cake:

And a confession by yours truly:

I love video games. I own a DS, on which I love to play Super Mario Bros and Pac-Man (I’m so old-school). My Chief Culinary Consultant and I spend lots of time playing his PS3 and Wii. I’m partial to NHL09 (now NHL10), Tiger Woods golf and any of the boxing/fighting games. So there you go – a little glimpse into the non-kitchen world of the Brown Eyed Baker :)

100 Responses to “Super Mario Brothers Birthday Cake”

1. Tracey on March 23, 2010 at 1:00 am

You nailed this cake – I love it!! :) If I showed my husband this post he’d be begging me to make this cake for his birthday and there’s no way I could recreate the masterpiece you’ve made here!

I love video games too though I’m no good at the sports ones…

2. AJ on March 23, 2010 at 1:14 am

Awesome!! Memories of childhood are flooding back! This is a rockstar cake, my friend!

3. Mallika on March 23, 2010 at 3:01 am

What a lovely Birthday Cake! I wish someone could make this for me too. I would feel flattered! :D

4. mie on March 23, 2010 at 3:17 am

Oh, this is my favourite! It’s amazing! But what cake was it? :D

5. Becka on March 23, 2010 at 5:54 am

Oh. My. God.
    That is quite possibly the most amazing thing I have EVER seen!!! I want one!! I don’t think I could bear to cut it though!
    Wow. Just wow!

6. Courtney on March 23, 2010 at 7:28 am

BEST CAKE EVER!! LOL I love this!! :)
    Makes me miss my Nintendo!

7. leslie on March 23, 2010 at 7:42 am

Adorable!!!SUPER SUPER CUTE! My sons wants a Mario cake for his Birthday in a week. But I really dont feel like all the work! So I think spongebob it is!!!

8. Katy on March 23, 2010 at 7:54 am

Love the cake, so cute! The colors are great too!

9. Hungry Jenny on March 23, 2010 at 7:55 am

Wow, this is awesome – whoop whoop! Is it filled with 1-up mushroom goodness inside?

Hungry Jenny x

10. Meghan on March 23, 2010 at 8:50 am

Oh my gosh this is so amazing! My husband would totally freak if I made something like this for his birthday – we both love old-school nintendo. You did an incredible job!

11. Jen on March 23, 2010 at 9:25 am

This cake is awesome… you did a fantastic job! Now my husband is going to want me to make this for him.

12. shelly (cookies and cups) on March 23, 2010 at 9:27 am

I love this! I have to make some Mario Bros. cookies ~ this cake is so cute.
    I’m a tetris girl ;)

13. Emily on March 23, 2010 at 9:28 am

Did you really only take the Wilton classes to learn how to do all of this? You are awesome! I have the super mario bros music in my head now. ha

14. Lauren on March 23, 2010 at 9:29 am

Great job on the cake! I remember playing Mario Brothers all the time growing up!

15. Maria on March 23, 2010 at 9:29 am

The cake is AWESOME! Nice Job!

16. beth on March 23, 2010 at 9:31 am

This cake came out so amazing!! I’ve seen a bunch of Super Mario cakes, and this one is my favorite!

17. Rach on March 23, 2010 at 9:31 am

As soon as this cake popped up in my reader the theme song started playing in my head!!! HOW CUTE IS THIS CAKE!?!? I love it! I never knew I wanted a Super Mario bday cake- but I do- oh well, I can turn 30 again next year. Fantastic job {Love the fire flowers!!}!

18. Natalie (The City Sisters) on March 23, 2010 at 9:34 am

I LOVE this cake!! It is just so cool and absolutely perfect! You really did a great job. Oh, and thanks a lot for putting the theme song in my head. My co-workers are going to think I’m nuts today!! Heehee…

19. Tracy on March 23, 2010 at 9:41 am

LOVE this! Absolutely perfect. :-)

20. Rebecca on March 23, 2010 at 9:41 am

That is so “Super” Cute! Ha, I crack myself up…but truly, the coolest gaming cake I’ve seen!

21. jaclyn@todayslady on March 23, 2010 at 9:51 am

I love this!!! Such a great idea! I love nintendo and we actually just bought an original super nintendo system from a used video game store! Its so fun!

22. Jade on March 23, 2010 at 9:59 am

Fabulous!! That was my favorite game as a kid. You did a great job capturing the game in cake. Love it.

23. Tiffany on March 23, 2010 at 10:25 am

Wow!! Nice job. I need to up my game because I think my husband would love a cake like this too. Now I have the song stuck in my head…do do doooo do do do do…..

24. Katie on March 23, 2010 at 10:30 am

WOW Chelle!! That is beyond impressive! Every simple piece of the decoration is just perfect! And the Mario bros themselves are stunning!!!

25. Cookin' Canuck on March 23, 2010 at 10:30 am

Awesome job! I absolutely love the detail you included on this cake.

26. Jeanne on March 23, 2010 at 10:32 am

I absolutely love this cake! I was just thinking about Super Mario Bros the other day, I used to play it all the time! Your cake is just perfect.

27. annie on March 23, 2010 at 10:33 am

Amazing cake…. you’re very creative. What kind of cake did you make and what filling did you use?

28. Lauren on March 23, 2010 at 10:45 am

This is AWESOME! I luuuuurve Super Mario Brothers, though I must say that I am partial to the 3rd one on original Nintendo. Level 7 was SO HARD! This cakes looks uh-may-zing.

29. Hot Polka Dot on March 23, 2010 at 10:50 am

That cake is awesome! I’m also a bit of a Nintendo geek myself. I love playing Wii games with my family like Mario Kart and Wii Sports. I was never allowed to have a game system while I was growing up so I guess I’m making up for it now.

30. Bob on March 23, 2010 at 10:53 am

That is frigging awesome. Heh, I think I need to bust out my SNES and play some Super Mario World now. :D

31. Allison on March 23, 2010 at 10:53 am

I love this cake! I’ll definitely have to file this idea away for my husband’s 30th birthday in two years…he’s a Mario lover as well.

32. Katrina on March 23, 2010 at 10:59 am

I want this cake SO BAD! This is awesome!

33. LilSis on March 23, 2010 at 11:07 am

This is an ADORABLE and beautifully decorated cake! I grew up in the Mario days and now my 16 year old son is playing Mario on the Wii!! Such a classic!

34. kristan roland on March 23, 2010 at 11:13 am

Who doesn’t love Mario? Good job, cake looks awesome!!

35. Danielle on March 23, 2010 at 11:14 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I have SMBro. for the Wii and it’s awesome! Brings back many of the traditional pieces of the original…

anyways, the cake is amazing!

36. Jacquie on March 23, 2010 at 11:19 am

That’s so cute! You definitely captured the whole game there- it reminds me of when I first moved to Maryland. I didn’t have older brothers or anything so I never knew about it until I moved and my friends had it. LOVE it!

37. Christina on March 23, 2010 at 11:21 am

This is the best cake ever! Great job!

38. Elle on March 23, 2010 at 11:26 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this cake! I’m still a Mario fan–and my 2 sons are obsessed, too. They’d love a cake like this–you did an amazing job!

39. Heather (Heather's Dish) on March 23, 2010 at 11:31 am

HOLY YUM! what an awesome cake. i think i need it. now :)

40. bridget {bake at 350} on March 23, 2010 at 11:34 am

That is so fun!!! My kiddo is very impressed…telling me about all of the elements on the cake. :)

41. gaga on March 23, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Oh my, that’s adorable!

42. Kelly on March 23, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Wow, fabulous blast from the past. Great job!

43. Barbara on March 23, 2010 at 12:59 pm

My 13-year-old son says, “That’s a really cool cake!” Mario crosses all age barriers!

44. the wicked noodle on March 23, 2010 at 1:18 pm

WOW! Amazing job!

45. Nic on March 23, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Mario cakes always make me happy. They lend themselves so easily to fondant. Very cute!

46. Erin on March 23, 2010 at 1:41 pm

You did such an amazing job with this cake! It looks wonderful!

47. Married to an Aussie in OK on March 23, 2010 at 1:48 pm

OMG! Dude! I love it!

48. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on March 23, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Wow… The cake looks amazing! Mario was always one of my favorite games, too… Lots of fun.

49. linda on March 23, 2010 at 4:11 pm

this is just AMAZING!
    btw: i baked your espresso & coffee layered cheesecake with the ganache topping & it was a delight to bake…& super YUM!
    the recipe was just perfect…thanks!! :)

50. Fuji Mama on March 23, 2010 at 4:24 pm

K, this has to be one of the coolest cakes I’ve ever seen! My husband would go berserk over this. LOVE that the star says “30 up!” Too awesome!

51. nina on March 23, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Oh my goodness! What an incredible cake! Brings back lots of memories of playing SMB in a friend’s basement. You sure nailed it!

52. RLV on March 23, 2010 at 4:58 pm

That is a sweet cake! Good job!

53. Pilar on March 23, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Super cool! Congrats.

54. Katrina on March 23, 2010 at 7:11 pm

That looks awesome, Michelle!

55. Sara {CaffeIna} on March 23, 2010 at 7:57 pm

simply a.ma.zing!

56. Aileen on March 23, 2010 at 9:10 pm

AWESOME!! You did such a nice job with the smooth fondant and everything too! If you have any fondant tips and tricks on how to make it look so fabulous, please do share! I would have melted if I got that cake for my birthday. Mario rocks. :)

57. Annie on March 23, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Fantastic job, girl! It looks PERFECT!

58. Christine on March 23, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Wow. That is a spectacular cake! I am really impressed!

59. Jenni on March 23, 2010 at 11:18 pm

OMG – I am *dying* to get a super cool Super Mario cake to do! I did some cupcakes, but they were just for us, for my own amusement on a wintery-day. You did an absolutely amazing job! I am a big Wii and DS’er myself!

60. katie on March 23, 2010 at 11:44 pm

This is fantastic! My husband would be so thrilled if I made him a cake like this for his birthday!!!

61. Cindy Waffles on March 24, 2010 at 12:26 am

This is soooo awesome!!!!!!

62. Suhaina on March 24, 2010 at 7:27 am

Simply superb. Pls post the recipes also.

63. elly on March 24, 2010 at 8:10 am

It looks fantastic!

64. Angie on March 24, 2010 at 9:01 am

This is going in the “might be brave enough to try”-file for my husband’s birthday next year! I have until January to become a semi-pro at cake decorating.

65. Cassie on March 24, 2010 at 10:18 am

Wow! You did a great job – it looks professional =)

66. natalie on March 24, 2010 at 11:49 am

oh wow, this cake is awesome! i can think of a few fellas who would be in love with this one, specifically a soon to be 5yr old whose birthday is coming up!

67. Katy R on March 24, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I love this cake, it makes me so nostalgic for my old super nintendo, I think I could play that first level in my sleep when I was a kid :)

68. Mary Poppins in Heels on March 24, 2010 at 11:20 pm

What a fabulous cake!

69. S on March 25, 2010 at 1:18 pm

That is SO awesome!

70. Jason on March 25, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I love this cake!

71. TripleScoop on March 25, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Awesome cake. You really out did yourself. Very fun read.

72. Ashley on March 27, 2010 at 1:36 am

LOOOOOVE the cake! I love anything Mario like this!! So very awesome. I especially love how you put “30 up” on top. I have a DS too and we got a Wii not too long ago and the new super mario brothers game. I love Mario!

73. Vivian on March 27, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Not much of a commenter, but this cake is awesome and needs to be complimented. Love it!

74. Jessica on May 5, 2010 at 1:38 pm

As in…this is soooo epic! This was the first video I ever owned at age 4. Love this cake!!

75. Brandon on May 6, 2010 at 3:58 pm

This reminds me of my friend’s SMB wedding cake. You can see it here: http://picasaweb.google.com/eliott.hayut/WeddingPhotos#5399722509687517826

76. Mary on May 13, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Wow girl! This is amazing! You are so talented, wish I could take in-person lessons from you!

77. Nazneen on May 17, 2010 at 10:51 am

I am going to try to make a similar cake for my Brothers 28th bday but have no experience with fondont…do you have any suggestions?? Thanks!

78. Pingback: Easy Vanilla Bean Buttercream | Brown Eyed Baker

79. Pingback: Fall-Themed Wedding Shower Cake | Brown Eyed Baker

80. Pingback: Happy 30th birthday, Mario!

81. Tina Morton on October 18, 2010 at 2:13 am

Wish I had this kind of Talent! Was looking up ideas for my husbands 30th!!!!!!! bday ideas… but was looking under Mario.. funny to come across this.. you did a GREAT JOB!

82. Pingback: Fruit & Almond Granola | Homemade Granola Recipe | Brown Eyed Baker

83. Erin on May 2, 2011 at 10:45 am

I found this post about a month ago and sent it (as a joke) to my Mom and sister. I turned 30 on April 22nd and I’ve always been obsessed with Super Mario Brothers (it’s the only video game I can play and not suck at).

I jokingly told them that this cake was the only thing I wanted for my birthday. So my birthday came and went this year. Then this past Saturday my sister came by with a “surprise” for me.

I come out to see the re-created Super Mario Brothers cake on my kitchen table. I broke down into tears. My cousin does the whole cake decorating thing and my sister had her make it for me. It looks absolutely amazing and I have to fight not to cry everytime I see it. I got it Saturday, took out a few shelves in my fridge, and that is where it remains today (Monday). Not sure how I’m going to bring myself to take it apart and eat it.

A couple questions…

How long will it keep and can I save the fondant Mario and Luigi without them drying out and crumbling? Any suggestions?

84. Aleah on January 9, 2012 at 7:58 am

My husband’s name is Mario and he is way into SMB and his 30th bday is coming up in April. I would love to make this for him. You have already given good information in the description above but I was wondering if you could give any more pertinent info. Thank you in advanced!!!

• Michelle on January 9th, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Hi Aleah, Not sure what type of additional information you may need; if you have any specific questions feel free to ask them here.

85. bre on February 19, 2012 at 6:30 am

Great cake!!

86. Pingback: Planning a 30th Birthday Party–Super Mario Inspired « [Blank] With Love

87. Samantha on May 17, 2012 at 10:55 pm

What an amazing cake!! I thnk this would be perfect for my husbands 30th birthday surprise party, although I’m sure it won’t come out looking as incredible as yours! :) What size pans did you use for the two layers?

• Michelle on May 18th, 2012 at 11:08 am

Hi Samantha, I used 8-inch and 6-inch layers.

88. Amanda on June 7, 2012 at 7:08 pm

This cake is awesome. I wish I could find someone to make it for me in Dallas.

AWESOME!

89. Veselina Veleva on July 11, 2012 at 5:05 pm

This is amazing!

90. Zely on August 16, 2012 at 6:42 am

Hi! I recently discover your web page and I love it. I’m thinking to make this cake for my son 4th birthday who like Mario so much .
    Just one question, where is the recipe?

• Michelle on August 18th, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Hi Zely, You could use any cake recipe you like (I think one layer is white and the other is chocolate). This post wasn’t meant to provide a recipe, but rather share the design of the cake.

91. Allyson Rideout on August 28, 2012 at 12:56 am

My boyfriend’s 30th is in a week and I was hoping to make this cake for him. I saw this cake a while back and just knew it would be perfect…my version deff won’t look as neat, but it should be fun! Too bad you don’t live close I would just pay you haha.

92. Tiziana on April 30, 2013 at 4:43 pm

This look awesome. I would like to do it for my boyfriend’s birthday. DO you have any recipe?

• Michelle on May 1st, 2013 at 10:59 am

I just used white cake on the bottom, chocolate on top (don’t remember what the fillings were at this point). Everything on the outside of the cake was done with fondant.

93. Pingback: Actus et brèves… avril 2011 | Mercipourlekayak !

94. Pingback: The Coolest Cakes You’ll Ever See | scene.sg

95. Pingback: Ciabatta Bread | Best Recipes!

96. Pingback: Elegant Cakes – Ciabatta Bread