10 Kitchen Favorites from Readers

Collage-AmazonQ1

Welcome to the new quarterly roundup of Brown Eyed Baker reader kitchen favorites! As a bit of background, I am a member of the Amazon Affiliates program (many of you are probably aware of it, and may even be members too!), and what that means is that if I provide a link to a product on Amazon and someone makes a purchase after clicking that link, I receive a small (read, small) commission on the sale. As a result, I can download reports on what has been purchased, and to be honest, that is what I love most about it! I love seeing what my readers are loving at the moment, and have decided that it would be fun to share it with you all as well!

Usually you find roundups like this around the holidays, but I thought it would be something fun to do a few times throughout the year. Besides, there are birthdays year-round and Mother’s Day is coming up, so these may just inspire you to snag a gift for someone, add something to your own wish list, or decide to treat yourself! In any case, enjoy the virtual browsing!

Top 10 best sellers among Brown Eyed Baker readers during the first quarter of 2010:

Gourmet Today

Gourmet Today Cookbook

I received this book for Christmas, and it is a huge wealth of recipe after recipe that is better than the last. From old favorites to modern twists, it’s a great basic cooking book that you’ll want to add to your cookbook collection.

The Flavor Bible

The Flavor Bible

This book is still on my wish list, and I continue to hear fabulous things about it. If you are interested in spending any time at all in the kitchen, I think it would be a fabulous investment. The book provides a comprehensive index of ingredients and flavors, and lists complementary pairings. A great resource for cooks that want to get creative in the kitchen.

Escali Pana Digital Scale

Escali Pana Volume Measuring Scale

I have talked at great length about how important I think it is to weigh ingredients when baking, and this is the scale I use to it. Apparently some readers have taken my advice and recommendation to heart, because this has been a big seller! If you do any baking at all, I really believe your kitchen should have a scale!

super-peel

The Super Peel Pizza Peel

I gave away one of these Super Peels back in January and can’t say enough about how much I love having a great pizza peel around when it’s a homemade pizza night. It makes baking pizza on a stone a breeze!

magic-line-cake-pan

Magic Line 9-Inch Cake Pan

I was surprised and excited to see that Magic Line pans were one of the best sellers over the last few months. I don’t think I’ve really mentioned it, but I LOVE Magic Line pans and use them exclusively for all of my cake baking.

Bialetti 8-inch Saute Pan

Bialetti Italian Collection 8-Inch Saute Pan

I don’t have any experience with this pan or Bialetti in general, so I can’t offer any opinions, but it sure has been a big seller recently!

Beater Blade

Beater Blade

Most would argue that the Beater Blade is the single greatest invention since the Kitchen Aid itself. For those not familiar, there is a Beater Blade designed for each Kitchen Aid model, and its rubber “fins” scrape the side of the bowl as it mixes, eliminating the need for you to stop and scrap the bowl while mixing.

Cannoli Forms

Cannoli Forms, Set of 4

I had such a great time making cannoli over the holidays with my Chief Culinary Consultant’s family, and although it’s a time-consuming process the results are more than worth it.

Wilton Baby Theme Cookie Cutter 4 Piece Set

Wilton Baby Theme Cookie Cutter 4 Piece Set

Great cookie cutters for anyone with an upcoming baby shower, or a little one’s birthday party. I get the most use out of the onesie in this set, but they are all adorable!

Wilton Master Tip Set

Wilton Master Tip Set

Pretty much a treasured possession of mine. While I own even more tips than exist in this set, it’s a great starting point if you are at all interested in cake, cupcake or cookie decorating.

Happy Shopping!!

27 Responses to “10 Kitchen Favorites from Readers”

1. Christine Rogers on April 14, 2010 at 12:46 am

Does that beater blade really work? I’ve heard about it but been skeptical. My main concern would be that it stands up to cream cheese. I scrape the bowl about a gazillion times when making cheesecake, and it would be nice to avoid that, but I don’t want to drop $30 on a gadget that isn’t worth it. Thoughts?

2. Melanie @ Heavenly on April 14, 2010 at 5:17 am

Such lovely things………….. beater blades sound wonderful. Away with the spatula forever!

3. Mary Poppins in Heels on April 14, 2010 at 8:26 am

What a great post! There is never a bad time to look at the goodies we need to add to our kitchens (and wish lists)!

And, yes, the beater blade is an amazing little creation.

4. Joy on April 14, 2010 at 8:53 am

I love my beater blade. I waited until I had enough Amazon gift cards from Swagbucks to order it so it was basically free.

5. jaclyn@todayslady on April 14, 2010 at 9:33 am

That beater blade looks super handy!!! If only I had a Kitchenaid….*sigh*

6. Michelle on April 14, 2010 at 9:58 am

I need a new scale so badly and I’ve wanted that Pizza Peel for a long time now.

7. Maria on April 14, 2010 at 10:06 am

I need to go shopping now:)

8. merry jennifer on April 14, 2010 at 10:12 am

The only problem with this post is that it now has me wanting to go shopping. I love my copy of Gourmet, and now I really want to own the Flavor Bible, too. Drats. I’ve already purchased three cookbooks this week – may have to wait until next week for the 4th. :)

9. Jenny Flake on April 14, 2010 at 10:29 am

Awesome roundup!! Love all those kitchen essentials~

10. Tracy on April 14, 2010 at 10:52 am

I love my copy of Gourmet Today. :-)

11. Hot Polka Dot on April 14, 2010 at 10:59 am

OMG that’s the first time I’ve heard about the beater blade and honestly my jar dropped open when I read the description. No scraping! I want one!

12. Jen @ How To: Simplify on April 14, 2010 at 11:33 am

What a great roundup! I’ve added some items to my shopping list!

13. Emily on April 14, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I love the Flavor Bible. Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything is also very handy in the kitchen. Oh yes, and I need to add a beater blade to my wish list. Thanks for the roundup!

14. teresacooks on April 14, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I’ve had a few pizza’s stick to my superpeel – such unmitigated disasters that I’ve been afraid to use it for a year now. . . before that I had a lot of success with it.

15. LilSis on April 14, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Nice roundup of products. I’d love to have The Flavor Bible!

16. maggy on April 15, 2010 at 7:57 am

A very helpful list. I have a pretty much empty kitchen from a move – so this is great!

17. Cookin' Canuck on April 15, 2010 at 11:49 am

These are some of my favorites, too. The Flavor Bible is an essential item in any cook’s kitchen.

18. Fuji Mama on April 15, 2010 at 1:05 pm

What a great roundup! You’ve given me some great Mother’s Day ideas–thanks!

19. Sarah on April 16, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Thanks for the roundup! I bought The Flavor Bible and it is one of my favorite books! It is extremely helpful, especially when you have a spice or ingredient you’ve never worked with before. Plus, I find it interesting enough to read like an actual book, instead of just pulling it out when I need to look up something. I can’t recommend enough that you get it!

20. Jena on April 17, 2010 at 1:52 am

I treated myself to a BeaterBlade for my KA when I bought them for my mom & my sister for Christmas. The only thing that made me skeptical about whether they’d live up to the hype is that they’re all plastic–not coated metal like my KA beater. The first thing I made with the BeaterBlade? Oatmeal cookies–that stubbornly hard to mix dough came out far better than it had with the regular beater and my rubber spatula scrapings.

Also, if you have a Cuisinart or Kenwood mixer, BeaterBlade makes beaters for them, too!

21. dill on April 18, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I have the Flavor Bible and absolutely love it – it’s amazing! I recommend it to everyone who ever cooks or bakes anything, ever!

22. Stacey on April 19, 2010 at 7:23 am

I just bought the Super Peel and use it for bread making. It really works well. This is the first time I have heard about the Beater Blade;one more thing to add to my list. (To teresacooks, I have not used the Super Peel for pizza yet but in reading my bread making books they suggest using cornmeal under the pizza to prevent sticking.

23. bridget {bake at 350} on April 19, 2010 at 11:05 am

Wow…I don’t own ANY of those things. I think it’s time for me to go shopping!!!

24. mary beth on June 1, 2010 at 5:44 am

I have been using the Escali for years (in fact the plastic over the buttons is starting to wear out). Bought it for yeast bread baking, but use it for absolutely everything. It really can’t be beat. Just imagine not having to clean out all those sticky measuring cups with honey, peanut butter etc. and that’s just one of the reasons I love it. I have been longing for that kitchenaid scraper blade since I found out about it, I think this may push me over the edge!

25. Pingback: Bestselling Cookbooks & Kitchen Products | Brown Eyed Baker

26. Lisa on July 6, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Hi Michelle!
    Have enjoyed reading your blog lately. I don’t get to bake very often due to the fact that I usually consume too much of my product or just that like is very busy working full time and raising an almost 4 yr old with my husband. I’m jealous of your talent! I guess I have a few questions for you. What makes the super peel so great? I can’t tell from the description and I know that every time I attempt to make pizza, it’s just a big mess. Everyone says how easy it is but either I make it too big and then can’t transport it or it’s sticking all over the place. Ordering out has been easier than making pizza for me! The magic pans…what is so special about them? I usually make brownies in my Pampered Chef square pan lined with parchment, or use silicone or my no-stick darker pans. As I type this, I find myself sounding like a novice baker! What are the pros and cons of different pans? As for the cookbooks, I think I own about 50 of them and find that I never crack them open anymore due to my affection for allrecipes.com. I have become dependent on reader feedback. One last thing…how do you organize all of your recipes? I have folders and folders of clipped out recipes in all different sizes, cookbooks, the ones I have printed from Allrecipes, the ones I find on different sites, some in email. I am truly disorganized and would love to have a suggestion on how to clean this mess up. Thanks for your great site, Michelle!

Lisa :)