10 of My Favorite Recipes

In the kitchen

I do my fair share of round-ups around these parts, as well Top-However-Many recipes, and even display most popular recipes over in the sidebar. For just about all of these lists and roundups, I feature your favorite recipes. The ones you come back to over and over again, the ones you comment on and sample and love. Since I’ve received a number of questions about which recipes are my favorites, I thought it would be fun to share with you the recipes on the site that are my absolute favorites – the ones I make countless times, the ones that my family and friends swoon over. With over 300 posts now, it was really, really hard to narrow it down. I had to do much soul searching… And they are in alphabetical order because after narrowing the list down to 10, I couldn’t possibly rank them! Much too difficult.

So without further ado, here are my 10 favorite recipes:

Baked Mac n' Cheese

Baked Mac n’ Cheese. (Forgive the picture; it was one of my very first posts.) This is a great basic baked macaroni and cheese recipe that you can adapt using your favorite cheeses, add-ins (mushrooms, bacon, etc.), and toppings. Comfort food doesn’t get much better than this.

Soft Cheese and Pepperoni Bread

Soft Cheese and Pepperoni Bread. Speaking of comfort food, nothin’ says lovin’ in Western PA quite like  homemade pepperoni bread (or pepperoni rolls, whatever nomenclature you grew up with). I’ve lived on these since I was a kid – my grandma would churn out a dozen at a time and they would be gone in seconds flat. Sometimes there were battles over loaves. I may have hidden a couple in my day. My grandma always made them from frozen bread dough (see the quick pepperoni bread recipe), but I love this yeasted, totally from scratch version.

Chocolate Ice Cream

Chocolate Ice Cream. I can’t ever get enough of this ice cream. It’s so rich, smooth and chocolatey; I promise you’ve never tasted a chocolate ice cream like this. It also makes a fabulous Rocky Road.

Cinnamon Raisin Bagels

Cinnamon Raisin Bagels. In two words, bagel awesomeness. These are, hands down, my favorite bagels and they rank in the #1 or #2 position with my Chief Culinary Consultant as well. They are one of his all-time favorite Brown Eyed Baker recipes. They are great toasted with butter, cream cheese, or even peanut butter!

Dark Chocolate Chip Scones

Dark Chocolate Chip Scones. These are the first scone recipe I ever made and are my mom’s all-time favorite baked good from the Brown Eyed Baker kitchen. In fact, when I offered to make her whatever dinner she’d like for her birthday last year, she chose the Sausage, Pepper & Mushroom Risotto (right below) and these scones for dessert. Tender and slightly sweet with dark chocolate chips – delicious!

Italian Sausage, Red Pepper & Mushroom Risotto

Italian Sausage, Mushroom & Red Pepper Risotto. Also another first, this was my initiation into risotto, and it was love at first bite. The creamy arborio rice with Italian sausage, red peppers and mushrooms is fantastic. It’s hearty and only needs a loaf of crusty Italian bread and a nice salad to finish off the meal.

Marshmallow Crunch Brownie Bars

Marshmallow Crunch Brownie Bars. These are a relatively new recipe (I first made them last summer), but they became an instant favorite. When you combine fudgy brownies, marshmallows, and a chocolate/peanut butter/Rice  Krispies  topping, you are hard-pressed to find anyone that doesn’t get addicted immediately. Fabulous is an understatement.

Oreo Cheesecake

Oreo Cheesecake. I absolutely adore cheesecake, and for a long time my favorite variety at the Cheesecake Factory was the Oreo cheesecake. I finally decided to make my own at home and subsequently have made it for quite a few of my own birthdays. Although this year I did it up a bit for my big 3-0 with a Peanut Butter-Fudge Cheesecake, there’s just something about Oreo cookies in a cheesecake that makes me swoon.

Strawberry Pretzel Squares

Strawberry Pretzel Squares. As I’ve found out through comments and emails from readers, a great many of you also grew up on this fantastic sweet/salty Jello dessert. I have a great aunt who used to make it for every family gathering in the summer. I finally got a hold of the recipe and started making it myself as well. You can never have too much of this, and I’m quite capable of eating an entire pan by myself. If there are leftovers (big if), the pan usually goes into the fridge with a fork in it so I can nibble every time I walk past!

Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. Yes, they really are the best chocolate chip cookies you will ever find. If you like ‘em big, thick and chewy, with gooey melted chocolate chips, you are going to thank your lucky stars for this recipe. I couldn’t have dreamed up a more perfect cookie if I tried. Please make these – they guarantee to satisfy the most ravenous cookie cravings!

[email_link] | Print

35 Responses to “10 of My Favorite Recipes”

1. Bonnie on June 25, 2010 at 12:30 am

Oh my GOODNESS! These all look delicious and the sweet/salty combo that is screaming at me from the strawberry pretzel bars is making my mouth water!!! I WILL be making these!

2. Katrina on June 25, 2010 at 2:19 am

I’ve made your mac and cheese so many times I don’t even need the recipe anymore. I’m dying to make your ice cream, and after your recent “make ice cream without a machine” post, I CAN!

3. Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) on June 25, 2010 at 4:44 am

All of those recipes look amazing but my eyes are fixated on that Oreo cheesecake. Holy yum!

Jenn

4. linda on June 25, 2010 at 5:47 am

this is an interesting list…& i am def going to re-create the marshmallow crunch brownies & since i have a weakness for cheesecakes also… the oreo is a must!
    i enjoyed reviewing the link to “see more favorites”: the oldies but goodies were fun to read!

5. Eliana on June 25, 2010 at 6:35 am

What a great roundup Michelle. They all look delicious.

6. astheroshe on June 25, 2010 at 6:46 am

I was just thinking of making a tart with pretzel crust …nice!

7. Sarah @ Mum In Bloom on June 25, 2010 at 8:29 am

Wow! Thanks for sharing this! I often wonder what foodies make at-home everyday. I want to try all of these and appreciate the inspiration :)

8. Jessica @ Jessiker Bakes on June 25, 2010 at 8:55 am

Thanks Michelle! I need to try that cookie recipe; looking for a thick chewy cookie!

9. Tina from PA on June 25, 2010 at 10:17 am

What a fun roundup! I also grew up with Pepperoni Bread . I remember the 1st time I tasted Strawberry Pretzel Squares was in 1985 , I love it ! Your chocolate chip cookie recipe is the BEST ! It’s my go to favorite . Thank you for sharing the best recipes!

10. Heather (Heather's Dish) on June 25, 2010 at 11:55 am

it’s official: pepperoni bread is a NEED! maybe if i fake being sick i can go home from work and make some… ;)

11. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on June 25, 2010 at 12:00 pm

All of those recipes look great… I can understand why they are your favorites. It’s funny to see a bloggers favorites vs. the reader favorites. Some of my favorite recipes have been ones that weren’t so popular on my site.

12. Michelle on June 25, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I insist: Quiche Lorraine Scones!!
    BEST RECIPE EVER!

13. Tracy on June 25, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Great collection!

14. ivoryhut on June 25, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Great recipes! That chocolate ice cream is calling me. So is the cheese pepperoni bread. And the scones. And the … okay, they’re all great. Did I say that already?

15. yael on June 25, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Yum, yum- each and every one looks so good- guess I’ll have to start trying them all!

16. Anne @ the doctor takes a wife on June 25, 2010 at 1:16 pm

These all look amazing :) I think most of them are already starred in my reader!! But I’ll add them to my springpad, just. in. case.

17. Magic of Spice on June 25, 2010 at 1:21 pm

They all look so good:)

18. Lauren on June 25, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I would like one cinnamon raisin bagel and perhaps one of those brownies, please. Everything looks so great!

- Lauren, Lauren’s Little Kitchen

19. Vickie on June 25, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Dear Brown Eyed Baker,

I am offically hooked and fat… I have been addicted to you and Bridget at Bake 350 and my family is loving the homemade treats, but we are all expanding our waistline! I made the chocolate chip cookies last night for friends, and I impressed myself. They were heavenly! (I added a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg to flour recipe and split semi sweet with milk chocolate) I am getting big points today! Thanks for sharing all your delicious recipes! We love them!!!

20. Jen @ How To: Simplify on June 25, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Oh my goodness…the Soft Cheese and Pepperoni Bread looks so amazing! I love all of these recipes! I’ll have to add them to my “to make” list!

21. Steve on June 25, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Any one of these is a rock star recipe.
    What you have here is a bit of a rock festival of great flavors.

22. Sevgi on June 26, 2010 at 8:15 am

These recipes look delicious! Especially the mac and cheese and brownies!

23. The Chocolate Priestess on June 26, 2010 at 9:04 am

Ah, five or half of your favorite have chocolate so I approve this list. LOL. The only way it could be better is even more chocolate!

24. Elle on June 26, 2010 at 11:02 am

Nice round-up! Made me very hungry, hehe.

25. Ann on June 26, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Oh my gosh! All of these things look so good! I made the chocolate cookies a few weeks ago. At first I was unsure about them, but then I found myself eating them so fast I didn’t even get a chance to take a picture of one because they were so good!!! Up next, the mac and cheese or the scones!!!!

26. Helen on June 26, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I’ve just bookmarked a load of these to make, maybe they will become my favourite recipes too!

27. jenn on June 27, 2010 at 1:26 am

hurrah for the marshmallow crunch bars! everytime i make them everyone says they’re like “crack”! so glad i found the recipe! :)

28. Maria on June 27, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Love your photo. You are darling! Everything looks so good too!

29. Sommer @ A Spicy Perspective on June 27, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Love the recipes–especially the marshmallow brownies. We will definitely be making those!

30. Liz N on June 28, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Two of your ‘favorite’ recipes remind me of my best friend in Ohio who grew up in Pennsylvania. She makes the best Cheese & Pepperoni Bread (she only makes it once a year because it’s a labor of love) and the Strawberry Pretzel Squares. Thank for you posting your Top 10. The recipe I’m going to try from this list next is the Oreo Cheesecake! Mmmm!

31. Cookin' Canuck on June 29, 2010 at 10:41 am

Another great round-up, Michelle. I love the look of that risotto.

32. Rebecca on June 29, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Great list! And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the risotto recipe. It was my first attempt at risotto and now it is my go-to comfort food recipe!! (Now I need to try the mac and cheese!) Love your blog!

33. MissJillian on July 8, 2010 at 5:03 pm

You are absolutely right about those marshmallow crunch brownies. I’ve made them before too and they are a major crowd-pleaser. I have never had so many people ask me for a recipe before. Oh, and I absolutely love them too…always looking for an excuse to make them again. :)

34. Alex on September 10, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Wow, you’re gorgeous. And you can cook all of this amazing food.

Marry me?

35. MissMelissa on April 12, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Oh, I know I’m so late seeing this- but I just had to say that I’ve been searching for a cheese pepperoni bread recipe for a long time. This looks so similar to the one my grandmother used to make for us. I cannot wait to try this recipe out. Thanks!