The Weekend Dish: 8/28/2010

Welcome to a new weekend feature here on Brown Eyed Baker: The Weekend Dish! It’s a little food, a little life, and a relaxing end to the week.

So here’s the scoop. You’re busy, right? We’re all super busy and I know sometimes I feel like the hours and days run together during the week. I try to stay up to date keeping tabs on the blogs I love, but I often fall behind. And I’m sure you do too. Maybe you only get to check Google Reader during your Saturday morning tea or while you’re watching old 90′s reruns on Sunday afternoons. So, I want to make life a little easier for you. Of course I’d love if you came and chatted with me about recipes during the week, but if you only have time for a quick browse over the weekend, here is where you’ll find a recap of the recipes that I posted during the week, as well as some recipes from other blogs that I have found that I think you might like too.

And then, a little fun. One of the themes in the feedback I received a few months ago when I did the reader survey is that you’d like more of a glimpse into my life outside of the kitchen. I’ve been trying to interject more of that into my recipes, and will do even more in these Saturday posts. So, I hope you enjoy the recaps, and getting to know me a little better!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

Lemon Bars – A classic lemon bar recipe that has a shortbread-style crust with a lemon custard. A perfect summer-ending dessert recipe.

Good Eats in the Outer Banks – I spent a long weekend in the Outer Banks recently and shared my reviews of all the meals we ate at the different restaurants we hit up. If you’ve been, I’d love to hear your recommendations for the next time we’re there!

Artichoke Spinach Dip – A recipe that everyone needs in their repertoire – a great appetizer and perfect for football Saturdays and Sundays!

Monkey Bread – Hello, one big ooey, gooey cinnamon roll. This would be a great one for Christmas morning. Or any morning. Or any time, ever.

Most Viewed Recipe This Week: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes from other bloggers that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too:

Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies (from Evil Shenanigans)
A brownie layer with a chocolate cheesecake layer on top. Takes care of my chocolate and cheesecake cravings all at once!

Oreo Cheesecake Pretzel Bites (from Picky Palate)
I’m even more of a sucker for cheesecake with Oreos. And, hello? Pretzels? These little treats look amazing!

Root Beer Float Cupcakes (from Baking Bites)
Cupcakes that are infused with root beer syrup with a scoop of vanilla ice cream nestled into the middle and more root beer syrup drizzled on top. These sound sensational!

Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich (from Ezra Pound Cake)
Nothing says comfort quite like a crunchy, gooey grilled cheese sandwich. This recipe is from Ina Garten’s latest cookbook, plus it has bacon, so you know it’s going to be fabulous!

Zucchini Cookies with Chocolate Chips and Dried Cranberries (from Two Peas and Their Pod)
I love zucchini bread, and these cookies with chocolate chips and cranberries sound absolutely amazing. Great way to use up the rest of your summer bounty!

Weekend Fun

What are you all up to this weekend? Any cooking or baking plans? How are you going to enjoy the last weekend of summer before we usher in fall next weekend with Labor Day?

I don’t have any kitchen plans for the weekend; I will be heading down to the new Consol Energy Center today for an open house. If you’re from Pittsburgh you know exactly what I’m talking about. If you’re not, I’ll explain :)  Here in Pittsburgh we have a new sports and concert arena that will be home to the Penguins (our hockey team). The Consol Energy Center was officially opened last week with back-to-back Paul McCartney concerts (which I hear were absolutely-rockin’-awesome), and this weekend the Pens are holding an open house for the general public to go in and troll around and check out the new digs. It’s not exactly a secret around these parts that I’m a huge hockey fan, so I’ll be there with bells on (and camera in hand!).

I was able to attend the last regular season game at the Mellon Arena in April and can’t wait for the first game I get to see at Consol!

Final regular season home game at Mellon

Wishing you all a fabulous weekend!

29 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 8/28/2010”

1. Sherry on August 28, 2010 at 12:33 am

I’m from Pittsburgh!! I can’t wait to check out the new arena as well. I love this new segment, btw. It’s very cute and with my hectic school year starting this will be a great way to keep up!

2. Kelly @ EvilShenanigans on August 28, 2010 at 1:57 am

I am so glad you like my brownies … I think you gave the wrong blog credit … :D

• Michelle on August 29th, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Kelly, I’m so sorry for that error, I have fixed it now. Those chocolate cheesecake brownies are amazing!

3. Ashley on August 28, 2010 at 4:34 am

Awesome idea.

Uh oh – she’s right. The brownies were from “Evilshenanigans”, not “My Baking Addiction”.

4. Becca on August 28, 2010 at 6:52 am

You’ve done it again, girl… You’ve found a way to require me to add another hour of time onto my days! You’re a HORRIBLE woman, and I love you for it! LOL

In all seriousness, this blog post ROCKED MY WORLD on a number of levels…the most important being that you just shared links to 2 bloggers I had not yet had the joy of experiencing… hence my reason for the first comment! :-)

5. Amy K on August 28, 2010 at 7:41 am

My kitchen time today will be spent baking & decorating a chocolate chip cookie cake for my daughter’s 17th birthday, while she’s at the waterpark with her friends, and then we’ll do some celebrating when she gets home. :)

6. terri on August 28, 2010 at 8:58 am

what a great concept!!! thanks so much~it is really hard to keep up with all of our favorite blogs!

have a great time at your open house, it sounds like fun! we have never been to a pens game yet…..maybe this year!!!

7. jaclyn@todayslady on August 28, 2010 at 9:58 am

Have fun checking out the new arena!!

I love that you’ve included some of the blogs that you’ve been reading in this weekend feature! I love finding new ones, my google reader is ever growing!!

8. DebbieS on August 28, 2010 at 10:31 am

Love this new feature. Thank you so much! I live in Pgh as well and went to the Consol’s open house. It was AMAZING. I also went to Paul McCartney and let me tell you…concerts are awesome there. Then again it was Sir Paul so I expected it to be :-) You will love watching the Pens play at the new arena.

Thanks for all the great ideas/recipes!

9. Betty @ scrambled hen fruit on August 28, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Great idea! Now that school has started back up and I’ve had to go back to work, I find it harder to keep up with the blogs I love to read. Thanks!

10. Jenn on August 28, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Have fun touring the stadium today! I didn’t know they were opening it today to the public. I can’t wait to go to a game there this season – also a huge Pen’s fan!

11. Jessica @ Jessiker Bakes on August 28, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Ooh this is cool! Wow strange, I just started aweekend thing too! Not like yours though; just to share a recipe that takes a little longer for the weekend meals not desserts like I usually do. I like your thingy though + I’m a member of your newsletter!

I would definitely make that money bread though 0.0 looks deliciousssss!!!!!!

Glad you had a good weekend :)

12. Elizabeth on August 28, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I’m from Harrisburg area and a huge fan of the Hershey Bears (we have season tix).. but that also means we are big Capitals fans so all this Penguin talk is making me sick.. just kidding=) Anyways those oreo cheesecake pretzel bites look amazing. I think i may have to try those. You find the best recipes ever.. and all your pictures make them look even better yet.. like seriously everytime i go looking for a new recipe your blog is the first place i look. Plus anyone that knows me knows that I am a peanut butter chocolate addict.. so more brownie points for you! Keep up the great work!

13. sarah k. @ the pajama chef on August 28, 2010 at 7:16 pm

i love this new feature. how fun :)

14. Joanne on August 28, 2010 at 7:52 pm

What I realized from this is that you and I read all the same blogs! I read every one of those posts. And loved them. What can I say, great cooks taste alike.

15. Jonna on August 28, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I love your new segment as well! I also appreciated the bookmarked links to other fabulous blogs . . . it saves a lot of time.
    I’ve been a lurker for quite some time now. We have the baking bug in common.
    Thanks for all your hard work,
    Jonna
    Get Off Your Butt and BAKE!

16. Jonna @ Get Off Your Butt and BAKE! on August 28, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Oh yes . . . I made the Marshmallow Crunch Brownie Bars, and they were fabulous!
    Now I must RUN!

17. notyet100 on August 28, 2010 at 10:20 pm

this looks like a lovely way to end the week,..

18. Maria on August 29, 2010 at 12:01 am

Love this new feature for the weekends. I am glad you liked my cookies too! Thanks! Have a fun weekend!

19. Robyn on August 29, 2010 at 11:05 am

great new feature! yesterday i went to a peach festival, so today’s mission is to bake a peach pie!

20. Maranda on August 29, 2010 at 11:43 am

This is such a fabulous idea!! I’m new to your blog so I’m really looking forward to getting to know you and your kitchen. I love that not only do you let us know about what you made but you also help us find other recipes and bloggers we may not have known about before. Also, the most viewed is awesome because it gets us into your archives. Thanks for sharing this and I look forward to more Weekend Dishes!

21. Katy on August 29, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I really like this feature! I also bookmarked those chocolate cheesecake brownies…yum!! I want to be baking this weekend, but trying to catch up on boring chores…blah.

22. Amanda on August 29, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Thanks for the post! On Saturday, I made the Dimply Plum Cake from an archived post on Smitten Kitchen – it was delicious and there is only a small piece left… it may not survive the night. I’m planning to make your monkey bread if my in laws end up coming to visit this weekend! Will you share pictures from the open house?? I can’t wait to see it!

23. Jen @ project cookie 365 on August 29, 2010 at 9:23 pm

I LOVE the idea of you sharing what you’ve bookmarked! It’s such a great way to find other inspiring food blogs!! And I’m thinking grilled cheese for dinner tomorrow! lol

24. Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on August 30, 2010 at 8:31 am

Great idea!! Loving the peek into your life, and also, links to other blogs!

25. Shelly on August 30, 2010 at 11:43 am

I love this new feature on your blog! Do you have another job besides blogging?

I spent the weekend swimming, getting a few things done around the house, and passing out the Salted Caramel Brownies I made last week, all to rave reviews. My friends and family loved them! I also managed to do a fair amount of batch cooking yesterday for the week, and am hoping to get some of it in the freezer. Next up, planning a huge party for next Sunday.

26. Shaheen {The Purple Foodie} on August 30, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I love this new section, Michelle!

27. Delishhh on August 31, 2010 at 12:09 am

Michelle – Love the weekend dish! I was thinking of doing a monthly newsletter but this idea of your is just fabulous.

28. Katie @ goodLife {eats} on September 1, 2010 at 10:50 pm

What a fun new feature! I love seeing what other people have bookmarked and getting new ideas. Thanks for sharing!