Banana-Nut Oat Bran Muffins

Banana-Nut Oat Bran Muffins

These healthy banana-nut muffins are the very first recipe that I can remember learning how to follow and bake. My mom began baking these when my dad found out he had high cholesterol, and soon they became a weekly ritual. I always wanted to help make them, and at first I was given the job of mashing the bananas with a fork, and then little by little my mom let me tackle more of the tasks until I was finally able to make the entire recipe all by myself. Such a proud little baker I was!

When Maria of Two Peas and Their Pod asked me to do the first-ever guest post on her site, not only was I extremely flattered, but I thought that this would be a perfect recipe. Maria loves to liven up healthy dishes, and I love to bake, so this recipe seemed a natural bridge between our two passions. If you haven’t had the pleasure of browsing Two Peas and Their Pod yet, you’ll want to add it to your favorites immediately. Maria and her husband Josh love spending time in the kitchen together and whip up some amazing dishes, everything from breakfast to dessert and salads; everything is fresh, bright and looks delicious. Head on over there to get the recipe for the Banana-Nut Oat Bran Muffins and check out their site. Thank you again to Maria for having me, I loved sharing a little piece of my baking history with your readers!

19 Responses to “Banana-Nut Oat Bran Muffins”

1. Itsy Bitsy Blonde on September 7, 2010 at 2:27 am

My dad was also a lover of banana nut bread/muffins and I loved to help my parents bake in the kitchen. I remember I loved making apple crisp :).
    I’ll have to try this healthy version. Sounds awesome.

2. linda on September 7, 2010 at 5:15 am

i have been baking healthy muffins for a while now & these look great…i will be baking these asap! thanks!!

3. Katrina on September 7, 2010 at 7:18 am

Mmmm muffins! I’m up early so maybe I’ll throw these together before everyone wakes up.

4. foodlvr on September 7, 2010 at 8:42 am

These look really food. I make banana muffins for my son. I add oat bran, ground flax seed and I use agave nectar in them. He loves them and has no idea the healthy ingredients included.

5. Stephanie @ The Brunette Foodie on September 7, 2010 at 9:27 am

So healthy & yet they look delicious.

6. Maria on September 7, 2010 at 9:39 am

Thanks for being my first guest blogger! I love the muffin recipe and so do my readers. Thanks for sharing a family favorite!

7. MacKenzie @ Fighting the Pudge on September 7, 2010 at 5:18 pm

These look incredible and I’m always looking for a new muffin to make. I’ll definitely try these! :)

8. oat bran on September 9, 2010 at 7:29 am

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii……………..
    I am shiv from india. I like your comment.I like banana nut bread/muffins……………so thankssssssssssss.

9. Sherri on December 1, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Easy ingredient list…takes no time to whip up.
    Pretty good muffins for low fat muffins.

10. Sue on July 18, 2011 at 6:56 am

Always great to meet another muffin lover! The chocolate ones look tempting, and I’m always looking out for the next great blueberry muffin, thanks!

11. Angela on January 4, 2012 at 9:10 pm

OMG, no more following twopeesandtheirpod recipes for me!! I wish she would just say a 1/2 cup instead of 2-1/4 cups!!! Just wasted all of my ingredients and 2 cups and 1/4 cup of my oat bran…. arrrrgggghhhh!!! Why would she write it that way…. well… I only had one banana left so we will soon see how they turn out:(

• Angela on January 4th, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Alright….apologies to the peas…. Michelle…. why did you write it that way… boooo :( However, my last six that I could make smell super delish!!

• Michelle on January 4th, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Hi Angela, I can’t speak for how Maria formatted the numbers, but your original assumption was correct – the amount is two and one-quarter cups of oat bran, not a half cup. I think your muffins should turn out just fine :)

12. Angela on January 5, 2012 at 10:53 am

Hmmmm…. I’m not sure what happened then because my final mixture was beyond described as “not soupy” LOL I couldn’t even stir it anymore with my original measurements, which is why I decided I did it completely wrong. There was so much oat that the wet mixture didn’t even pick it all up… I don’t know WHAT happened:( Wahhhhhhh… boooooo…. hisssss…. I typically don’t have any problems with your recipes or any other… it’s not that hard lol Even when I decided to make it a 1/2 cup the final product wasn’t delicious…however the mixture looked much more like I would assume it should… I think perhaps there was an eclipse in my kitchen and the whole thing went straigth to the crapper:( I really have no explanation as to what happened except I didn’t have the patience to let the banana get all brown, but that shouldn’t have made THAT much difference… thoughts??? I’ve derailed:(

• LT on January 4th, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Angela, Did you use oatmeal or oat bran ?

13. Megan on September 11, 2012 at 10:01 am

Hi, I made these this morning. I’m wondering if the recipe was written properly, because in your description you said the batter would be thin, when I and several other readers have noted that it was actually quite thick. I added a couple generous splashes of milk, and they were fine, but either the description of the batter or the recipe has to be inaccurate.

14. stephanie on February 10, 2013 at 10:30 am

this recipe is funny. Like others my batter was VERY thick. blah! please have pictures to show the process . . .

15. Jennifer on April 14, 2013 at 2:25 pm

It would be really appreciated if either here or, even better, on the 2peas&pod site where the recipe is posted the comments regarding the thickness of the batter be addressed. Even my husband (who does not bake) commented that he thought the batter would be dry after looking at the ingredient proportions. It mixed up more like a cookie dough. I went ahead and added 1/3 c applesauce, 1/3 c milk and 1 egg after seeing how thick the batter was. The end result was pretty good and not too dry. I can’t imagine what they would have been like without all the added moisture.

16. Lainy on November 19, 2013 at 5:40 pm

This is my favourite! thanks for the idea!