Whatcha hungry for?

I’m starving… you? I have a few awesome recipes to get to you this week… things like a white pizza inspired by a local pizza shop, another dip for football season, my first pie of the fall season, and some ah-mazing cupcakes that I think you’re going to totally dig. I’m also working on recreating the fabulous cheesecake that we had in Toronto at the top of the CN Tower last weekend. So while I get those all lined up and ready for you, I’d like to pick your brain.

When the seasons change, it seems taste buds do too. I start to crave things like homemade mac n’ cheese, beef stew, and lots of homemade bread. Ice cream cones? Not as much anymore. Last week I shared with you 50 Recipes for Fall, which are some of my favorites on the site for when the cool weather rolls in. What I’d like to know is – what wasn’t on that list that you’d love a recipe for? Anything you’re craving, or haven’t mastered yet? I’m always looking for new ideas to share with you, especially at the start of a new season, and of course love to give you the types of recipes you want the most. Let me know and I’ll get to work for you!

49 Responses to “Whatcha hungry for?”

1. Shannon on September 13, 2010 at 12:18 am

Soup Soup and More Soup! Especially my late grandmother’s split pea soup with ham or her navy bean soup! So delicious, but of course she didnt have a recipe for them (does ANY grandmother? It’s always a pinch of this, a handful of that, just stir until it looks right, etc..drove me crazy haha!)

She lived next door to me when I was growing up, and I remember coming home from school on Fall days and going over there and she always would have a pot of some soup on, usually the split pea or navy bean, because she knew it was my favorite :)

2. Jessica S. on September 13, 2010 at 12:39 am

Ravioli! Cheese ravioli with vodka sauce!

3. Paula Wong on September 13, 2010 at 3:11 am

Pumpkin soup :) I have tons of pumpkins coming out of my garden and can’t think of enough recipes to use them in! I would love a pumpkin soup recipe that was pretty healthy and very tasty!

4. Sarah @ Mum In Bloom on September 13, 2010 at 6:49 am

I love your blog and you always pick great recipes. At the moment I’m craving slow cooker and freezer recipes. Thanks for all you do :)

5. Adrienne on September 13, 2010 at 6:58 am

I have just discovered your blog in the last week and I am SO impressed. I would love to see your take on some decadent but uncomplicated breakfasts. Sweet or savory.

You are doing a wonderful job!!!

6. Stacy Baker on September 13, 2010 at 8:20 am

Fall always includes our annual family trip to the apple orchard. We’ve been doing this since before we had kids and the group now includes about 25-30 family members of all ages. It truly is something everyone looks forwards to and a tradition our kids will remember for years to come. This year, I’ll be making the usual favorites – apple butter, applesauce and apple cake. What I’m really craving, however, are some homemade apple dumplings, topped with vanilla ice cream and cinnamon sauce. YUMMM! Do you have a recipe?

7. Katrina on September 13, 2010 at 8:24 am

I’m patiently awaiting your cheesecake recipe. C’mon!

8. Meredith on September 13, 2010 at 10:43 am

Popcorn balls! :) and soup!

9. Tina from PA on September 13, 2010 at 10:43 am

Cann’t wait for all your new posts! I love soup also , gonna make some chicken with homemade noodles later this week . Do you have a good squash soup recipe? I love the squash soup at Wolfgang Pucks.

10. Libby on September 13, 2010 at 10:46 am

Love breakfast for supper! Thanks.

11. maria on September 13, 2010 at 11:10 am

I love all of your recipes. I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

12. Bev on September 13, 2010 at 11:18 am

Pumpkin anything … pie is just scratching the surface in my opinion. Do you have any new twists on the ol’ pumpkin muffin or loaf?

• Tania on September 13th, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I agree with Bev. Anything pumpkin. I love pumpkin bread and pumpkin cookies. I have also made a pumpkin cheesecake, but a new recipe for anything pumpkin would really start the fall and winter off on the right foot. Thank you for an amazing blog!

13. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on September 13, 2010 at 11:24 am

I second Adrienne’s idea for “decadent but uncomplicated breakfasts, sweet or savory.” I bet you could come up with some really awesome ideas!

14. Restaurant Supply Guy on September 13, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Anything that I can make during a football game.

I currently make soups and stocks, which works out well–so soups are good thing. I can tend to it during commercials and halftime, and by the end of the game, I have dinner ready. But since I am already good at making soup, I could use another arrow in my get-out-of-yardwork-while-the-game-is-on quiver–maybe an alternative, some sort of casserole perhaps. If you can think of something good, I would love to try it.
    One more thing: I think my parsnips are soon ready to pick. It is my first year gardening, and they appear to have survived my complete ineptitude. Anything made with them would be great, too!

15. Tracy on September 13, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I’m craving chili and some homemade bread! I would like nothing more than to curl with a big bowl of chili and bread and watch college football all day Saturday. Hmm, that may be my plan. :)

16. Emily (iBAK3) on September 13, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I would love some soup recipes such as broccoli and cheese soup…Thanks!

17. linda on September 13, 2010 at 1:55 pm

cannot wait for the cheesecake recipe…love all yours thus far!
    i also am craving stew…but, i would love a chicken stew recipe…
    thanks to you i am excited about fall baking!!!

18. Kelli on September 13, 2010 at 2:09 pm

We’re trying to eat less meat and more fish in our house, but fish never seems like a hearty or warm meal. Any help on this would be great! Or a vegetarian stew of some sort! Thanks!

19. Rachel on September 13, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I’m hungry for…a good bread for a beginner bread-baker and a hearty, vegetarian stew. Thanks for asking : ) Love your blog!

20. Amanda on September 13, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Comfort food, hearty potato dishes, Armenian Hazelnut Cake, and homemade sweet. :)

21. manizor on September 13, 2010 at 5:04 pm

ok, i love your blog. but i was definitely NOT expecting the squirrel picture when I checked it today. ugh! seeing such a close up picture of the squirrel eating the corn made me actually LOSE my appetite. so right now…not hungry for anything!!

22. Shannon on September 13, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Michelle thanks for the split pea soup recipe! Looks great and I can’t wait to make it!

• Michelle on September 13th, 2010 at 8:27 pm

You’re most welcome! Can’t wait to hear how you like it!

23. penandra on September 13, 2010 at 6:41 pm

I will patiently check back for the white pizza recipe! I love homemade pizza (I do mine on a preheated cast iron griddle stuck under my broiler), but have just not been able to get the sauce right for the white pizza. I look forward to yours. Thank you for the pea soup recipe, the ingredients are similar to what I do, but the technique is different, so now I’m going to have to find an excuse to get a ham for the ham bone! ;-)

I have lots of chicken stock in the freezer and am planning on making some Chicken Tortilla Soup this coming weekend — Also, since it’s chile season and I have some in the garden that are ready to roast, I’ll be making some Chicken/Chile alfredo sauce for the freezer!

24. Chef Dennis on September 13, 2010 at 8:01 pm

I am definitely ready for comfort foods, although I’m not really ready to put away the grill….I was just thinking about breads, definitely pies! But I’m sure anything you make will be wonderful!

25. Amanda V on September 13, 2010 at 8:26 pm

I love all your ice cream recipes! I just made a cinnamon ice cream last night, and love it so much. I had to resist eating it for breakfast, but I don’t know what tomorrow morning will entail..

26. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on September 13, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Love your post. All of your recipes rock so I just look forward to more!

27. Lauren on September 13, 2010 at 8:36 pm

yes, i definitely agree with everyone else screaming for “SOUP!!” :D
    -butternut squash soup
    -pumpkin soup
    -creamy chicken and wild rice soup (this i have yet to come across a good recipe for anywhere…and i truly mean anywhere!)

Happy baking and cooking!

28. Betty @ scrambled hen fruit on September 13, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Cute squirrel! I’d love to see some crock pot soup recipes. Having dinner ready when I get home from work is looking good!

29. Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef on September 14, 2010 at 10:39 am

lemon rice soup. a restaurant i grew up going to served it. they are now closed but it was SO good.

30. Elizabeth on September 14, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Bread Pudding!

31. Penny Wolf on September 14, 2010 at 3:32 pm

This is seasonless but it has occured to me that you live in a location that maybe of serious help. Are you familiar with Di Carlos pizza? I no longer live in the area and haven’t for many moons now. It was my Mother’s favorite pizza and I tried to make that crust every way I can think with no luck. Some things may be best left to the powers that be. I haven’t tried your recipe yet and will but if it’s not like Di Carlos maybe you would like to give it a shot.

• Michelle on September 14th, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Hi Penny, Is Di Carlos pizza local to Pittsburgh? I’ve never heard of it, but I’m always up for a challenge when it comes to pizza! :)

• Penny Wolf on September 15th, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I don’t believe it to be original to Pittsburgh but their website says there is one (or maybe was one) on Sawmill run blvd.

How very nice of you to respond. I enjoy your website alot and your food is what I can relate to.

• Michelle on September 15th, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Thanks Penny, it looks like there is also a location in Cranberry (closer to me). I will have to try it and see if I can’t deconstruct it! I’m so happy you enjoy the site!

32. Mary Anne on September 14, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I’m determined to make beef short ribs this winter – maybe with a really nice polenta. I would love to see your ideas for this.

Thanks for all the wonderful recipes and inspiration.

Mary Anne

33. Melissa on September 14, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I’m going to echo everyone else and say soup, but I want good old fashion, some might even say Amish, chicken corn soup. Sweet corn, saltier broth, shredded chicken….yum! It’s the broth I struggle with though, never seems quite thick enough.

34. Dana on September 15, 2010 at 10:07 am

Dessert ravioli and sopapillas! (With directions for those of us unlucky souls without food processors.)

35. brandon on September 15, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Meatloaf. Made some according to Alton Brown’s recipe tonight. It was saucesome.

I concur with the soup cravings above. Pumpkin soup is great. Pumpkin bread is even better. Toast it with some butter and I’m in food heaven.

36. Ashley on September 15, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Pumpking things- pumpkin bread, muffins, etc. and soups!

37. bridget {bake at 350} on September 15, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I’m hungry for anything pumpkin….or mushrooms, fall puts me in the mood for mushrooms. Oh, and cheesy pasta…and caramel…and toffee. Man, I’m HUNGRY!

38. Bev on September 16, 2010 at 9:51 am

Bev here again – I’m just entering the chaos of a complete kitchen reno – yes this is a good thing but will have to go through foodie withdrawal for about a month so everything sounds tantalizing and I fantacize about what I will make when I have my stove back. This morning I’m thinking about lamb – anything with lamb – slow-cooked … dutch oven anything.

39. Mary on September 19, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Hi there! My mother and I watched Fried Green Tomatoes the other night and we realized that we have never had fried green tomatoes. So I was wondering if you have a recipe for them or if you would like to take a stab at it? I love your site and it has had me cooking up a storm!! Thank you so much!

Mary

• Michelle on September 20th, 2010 at 10:10 am

Hi Mary, I actually have never had fried green tomatoes either. I will do some reading, though, and add them to my list! Thank you for the suggestion!

• Mary on September 22nd, 2010 at 12:40 am

Thanks!! I think that it would be something awesome to try!!!!

40. cindy harris on September 20, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Just food! My kitchen has been torn apart for the last 2 weeks, I can’t wait to get back in it. I do love your blog and refer to it often. Your New York Style Crumb Cake is at the top of my list.