The Weekend Dish: 9/18/2010

Happy Saturday! I want to start off our little Saturday chat by apologizing for any errors you may have received if you tried to access the site on Thursday. My hosting company (Bluehost) is located in Provo, Utah and the city experienced electrical problems for the better part of the day on Thursday, affecting Bluehost and its servers, including the one that my site (and many other food blogs) resides on. All is better now, so you should have no problems moving forward, and I’m so sorry for any inconveniences. I hate to keep you from all of the buttery, sugary, and chocolatey goodness, so be sure to catch up with the links below if you missed anything this week! As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Then, some random life and fun stuff, including my rant on music nowadays (how old do I sound?). Enjoy! :)

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

Dutch Apple Pie – A flaky, buttery crust, a pile of apples and a crumb topping. HELLO Fall!

Pancake Cupcakes with Maple-Bacon Buttercream Frosting – Is it breakfast or dessert? You decide!

Banana Nut Bread – My Grandma’s old recipe, which will always be my favorite.

Most Viewed Recipe This Week: Dutch Apple Pie

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too (lots of potatoes, pumpkin and galettes this week – it must be fall!):

Fig Galette (Simply Recipes)
I absolutely adore figs, and baking them up in a pie crust seems like the most perfect thing in the world.

Potato, Onion and Gruyere Galette (A Chica Bakes)
More pie crust. With potatoes and Gruyere? Sold!

Pumpkin Cheesecake (Sugarcrafter)
Absolutely gorgeous cheesecake. This is definitely on my fall to-do list!

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies (My Baking Addiction)
Pumpkin, oatmeal, cherries, white chocolate and spices – I couldn’t conceive a better cookie for fall if I tried!

Smashed Potato Skins (How To: Simplify)
I love potato skins, but they can definitely be hit or miss when ordering them out. These are super easy to make at home, and perfect for football season!

Weekend Fun

Pittsburgh Penguins training camp starts today. The first preseason game is Wednesday. Countdown to October 7th: 19 days. It feels like Christmas.

Last week was the first week of the NFL season, which meant the first week of fantasy football (finally!). Here’s how I did (drum roll, please)…

That’s right, number one in the league baby! I, of course, can’t take all the credit, as Peyton Manning threw for over 400 yards with 3 touchdowns, and Arian Foster (one of my running backs) ran for almost 250 and had 3 touchdowns as well. But hey, I drafted them, and started them. So that counts for something! All in all, a pretty nice start to the season.

Moving on to music. This week I caught a clip from the MTV Video Music Awards (side note: I officially feel old – I hadn’t even heard of 90% of the singers), and it was Justin Bieber performing. My poor, blistered ears. Gah. Now, I know… when I was in elementary school, I was all goo-goo ga-ga over New Kids on the Block. They were so dreamy. So perhaps I shouldn’t judge too much. But music just doesn’t seem as good nowadays as it was when I was younger. Gosh, do I sound like my parents yet? But, but, it’s true! PLUS – guys wear “skinny jeans” now. Whaaa? Who convinced them this was a good look? It just all makes me feel old and gives me the urge to dive into a cave of my 90′s rock music.

I was a teenager in the mid-90′s (hello grunge!) and wrapped my arms ever-so-tightly around alternative rock, and it’s still the music I prefer to listen to now, along with newer Indie Rock bands as well. But, same style of music. Back in the day I loved Better Than Ezra, Alice in Chains, Bush, Collective Soul, Live, and the list goes on and on. So today I am off to reclaim my teenage years. I’m headed to HSFestival to see the likes of Third Eye Blind, Fuel, Everclear, others, and… Billy Idol.

Woo! Super excited.

So tell me, what’s your favorite type of music and what did you listen to growing up?

Have a fabulous weekend! Go Steelers!

19 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 9/18/2010”

1. Kim on September 18, 2010 at 3:14 am

Oh. Gosh. Don’t get me started. I just posted on FB tonight how pop “stars” these days just don’t SING. I miss real singers. Maybe I’m getting old too. Thank goodness Heart just put out a new CD, Ann Wilson still has chops. I do wonder what Stevie Nicks is up to these days. Thriving Ivory gives me hope for the current generation. But Michael Jackson is the epitome of what musical entertainers should strive for. He could not only sing, he could compose and oh wow, could he DANCE and put on an unforgettable show. And since he was six years old. And with all the media BS he lived with?? You want to see entertainment, and humanitarianism, at its finest, look him up on YouTube.

P.S. Love your blog by the way :)

2. Katrina on September 18, 2010 at 8:03 am

Great bookmarks this week! I took a few for myself :)

3. Sheena on September 18, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Sounds like a very fun weekend. I love all the bands you listed, listening to them takes me back…
    I had to share a pumpkin cheesecake recipe with you when I saw that on your list. This one is to die for! Here is the link to my blog if you want to take a look at it: http://3sisterssharingideas.blogspot.com/2009/11/deluxe-pumpkin-cheesecake.html

Love your blog and your emails!!!
    Sheena

• Michelle on September 20th, 2010 at 9:37 am

Sheena, that cheesecake looks great, thank you for sharing!

4. Tabitha (From Single to Married) on September 18, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Just found you through How Sweets and wanted to say your site looks great – will definitely be back!

• Michelle on September 20th, 2010 at 9:38 am

Welcome Tabitha! So happy to have you, hope you enjoy all of the recipes and fun! :)

5. Tracy on September 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Thanks so much for the mention! And congrats to your team on destroying the rest of your league, haha…go Baker’s Dozen!! I am just hoping to pull out a win this week…we’ll see how it goes. :-)

Also, I totally agree with you about music – especially Justin Bieber, UGH. I will stick with you on the alternative rock. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go tell some kids to get off my lawn. ;-)

• Michelle on September 20th, 2010 at 9:39 am

Thanks Tracy! I think I’m about to be 2-0 and still in the #1 spot, woo! I hope Sugar High pulled off a win this week!

6. Pam on September 19, 2010 at 9:31 am

Looove, fall baking. Bookmarked cookies sounds delish….picture of Sid is SUPER delish! Thanks for posting it! I’m beyond excited for hockey season :-)

• Michelle on September 20th, 2010 at 9:39 am

Most welcome, Pam! I promise there will be many more Sid pics to come :) Glad to find another Pens fan!

7. themilkmanswife on September 19, 2010 at 11:02 am

Wow, that sounds like a GREAT show! Some of my 90s faves! LOVED Third Eye Blind back in the day. (Okay…still do) I hope you enjoyed it. I hear you about today’s music. I pretty much listen to the 90s station exclusively on my satellite radio!

8. Sues on September 19, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I can’t believe hockey training camp is already starting!! New Kids on the Block was the very first concert I went to in second grade :) Now I prefer much more mellow music with beautiful lyrics, like Ryan Adams, Mumford & Sons, and Frightened Rabbits, among many others!

• Michelle on September 20th, 2010 at 9:40 am

Sues – How funny, New Kids on the Block was my very first concert too!! My parents are saints ;-)

9. Jamie | My Baking Addiction on September 19, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Thanks so much for the link love! I hope you had a blast at the festival!
    -Jamie

10. Marg on September 19, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Loving football season – my boyfriend is also a huge fan of the Steelers and Penguins (from the area), I’m a Saints fan though. I haven’t gotten into hockey yet.

I was a Paula Abdul fan as a child, but now I love Billy Idol.

• Michelle on September 20th, 2010 at 9:42 am

Marg – High five to your boyfriend! Woo Steelers and Pens! :)

11. Jessica S. on September 20, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Omg- Third Eye Blind- I’d just die. Their “Best Of” is my #1 most played cd in my car, ever.

12. madge @ vegetariancasserolequeen on September 20, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Your rant on new music is similar to one I was having with my hubby this weekend. I don’t get Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber. I feel so out of touch with today’s music and I’m fine with that! I listen to the oldies at work. We must be close in age as NKOTB was huge in elementary school (although I was more into bands like Aerosmith, Def Leppard, etc) and Bush, STP, Soundgarden and Foo Fighters were the sounds of my high school days.

You are right, they just aren’t making good music like they used to!