Pittsburgh Steelers Football Jersey Cookies

Pittsburgh Steelers Football Jersey Cookies

The leaves are starting to turn, the nights are getting cooler and it’s getting dark earlier. That can only mean two things: it’s fall, and it’s finally football season! Which means it’s finally time for some football cookies! These are fashioned after the Penguins jersey cookies that I made two seasons ago during their successful Cup run. You may remember that last year I made Steelers logo cookies for the start of the season, and these are a nice follow up. I made these back in the spring for a friend of my mom’s – she wanted some Penguins jerseys, some Steelers jerseys and some Easter eggs for a family get together. Since football was already well into the off-season, I decided to hold off on sharing them until the season got underway. I’ve had my Terrible Towel in hand for a couple of weeks now, so I figured the time was finally right to trot out the Steelers cookies!

Pittsburgh Steeleres Football Jersey Cookies

Oh, and disregard the Santonio Holmes cookie (first picture) – he has since been traded. Dennis Dixon is now wearing number 10, which throws me for a loop and sends me into Kordell Stewart flashbacks every time I see it. Although given the current state of our quarterbacks (at current count we have 1 starter suspended, 1 back up (Leftwich) with a knee injury, 1 3rd string (Dixon) with a knee injury, and 1 4th string (Batch) who is beyond fragile) it suddenly doesn’t seem implausible that Kordell could make a cameo. I kid, I kid… maybe. Hopefully. Hey, at least we’re 2-0, thanks to the miraculous efforts of our defense. They deserve a cookie. Actually, they deserve all of them.

All in all, once you’re comfortable decorating sugar cookies with royal icing, these are pretty simple to make. I did a plain white flooded cookie and added the color-coordinated piped details. And because Troy never disappoints me and his is the next jersey I plan to buy (and a white one at that), here is a closeup of his cookie:

Troy Polamalu jersey cookie

Go Steelers!

What you need to make these cookies (or cookies for your favorite team if it’s not the Steelers *gasp*):

Recipe for sugar cookies
Tutorial on how to decorate sugar cookies with royal icing
Jersey cookie cutter

53 Responses to “Pittsburgh Steelers Football Jersey Cookies”

1. Rosa on September 21, 2010 at 2:29 am

Those are so cute!

Cheers,

Rosa

2. TAbitha (From Single to Married) on September 21, 2010 at 6:21 am

Those are so cute! And I’m not even a football fan! :)

3. Liz @ Blog is the New Black on September 21, 2010 at 7:13 am

Great job! So cute.

4. Katrina on September 21, 2010 at 7:16 am

haha these are adorable!

5. Diane in MD on September 21, 2010 at 7:32 am

Those cookies are awesome and so is Troy! He is my oldest son’s favorite player. I may have to make some of these cookies before the next game…

6. Paula on September 21, 2010 at 8:42 am

Great job on the cookies. Love the fact that you took the time to do the names of the players and not just their numbers.

7. Kristin on September 21, 2010 at 9:42 am

Love them! I’ll need a whole plate of Polamalu cookies!!!!

8. Dawne on September 21, 2010 at 9:43 am

I love these Go Steelers

9. The Hunter's Wife on September 21, 2010 at 10:21 am

Those are too cute but…Go Bears!!!

10. Marg on September 21, 2010 at 10:48 am

These are cute – I’ll have to make them for my boyfriend. Troy P. is amazing, it’s crazy how good they’re doing given the situation. I’m a bit nervous when they play my team the Saints. Saints gotta win b/c I don’t want to hear it from the bf.

11. RavieNomNoms on September 21, 2010 at 10:55 am

YAY! I am a Steelers fan as well!! Terrible towels anyone?! I love the Polamalu Jersey! haha so awesome :-)

• Michelle on September 21st, 2010 at 11:12 am

High five Ravie! Go Steelers!

12. Barbara | VinoLuciStyle on September 21, 2010 at 10:56 am

Love seeing the cookies everyone is doing for their favorite team. And I can really empathize regarding quarterbacks. As a matter of fact, I honestly can’t recall the name of any since Elway…it’s a revolving door!

13. Sara on September 21, 2010 at 10:58 am

I always loved your decorated cookies. These are really adorable! And I’m sure also good to eat!

14. Georgia @ The comfort of Cookign on September 21, 2010 at 11:17 am

I can’t say I’m a football fan, but while the guys munch on BBQ I’d be happy to gobble these up with girlfriends in the kitchen!

15. Alisa on September 21, 2010 at 11:28 am

So, so cute! You seriously are a dedicated football fan!

16. Chris Louie on September 21, 2010 at 11:32 am

Love these…really cute idea. Thanks for the share!

17. Becca on September 21, 2010 at 12:05 pm

You and the cookies are both adorable, but your cookies are CLEARLY the wrong colors… it’s GREEN & GOLD, Sweetie… LOL GO PACKERS! :-)

• Jen on January 28th, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I agree with Becca – these cookies look tasty and are look adorable.
      With that said….GO PACK GO

18. JC on September 21, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Love the cookies, they are adorable! I’m in the ‘burgh too and Heath Miller is my fav!

19. torviewtoronto on September 21, 2010 at 12:48 pm

cute cookies

20. Maria on September 21, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Your cookies look great-but shouldn’t they be Bear’s jerseys..ha!!

21. Alexis on September 21, 2010 at 3:07 pm

AHHH!!!! I love these!!!!!!!! You have successfully combined two of my great loves: Cookies and The Steelers!!!!!!!

Would love to use this image on my blog in the future… would you mind? I promise to link and credit you!

THANKS!!!!!

22. Lisa B on September 21, 2010 at 3:33 pm

LOVE these! they are super cute, and the sleeves are awesome! i so have to make giants versions for my dad! what kind of cookie cutters did you use? a t shrit one and then just cut to adjust? i’m new to your blog and totally loving it! it can be very addicting…lol. :)

• Michelle on September 22nd, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Hi Lisa, I used a jersey cookie cutter from a 4-piece “football” set sold by Wilton. There is a link to it above under “What you need to make these cookies”. Welcome to the site, great to hear you are loving it! :)

23. KT on September 21, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Words can’t descibe how much I love these. My boyfriend is a die-hard Steelers fan and Troy Polamalu is my favorite player. Thanks for posting these!

24. Chris on September 21, 2010 at 5:06 pm

As a Steelers fan all I can say is WOOHOO!!!

25. Amy on September 21, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I so need to learn how to make those cookies. How can one live in the ‘Burg and not know how to make those? And Troy is our FAVORITE player ever! My daughter loves him and I know she’d love those cookies. Gotta figure out if I have the ability to make something like that. lol. :)

26. Liz @ LBBakes on September 21, 2010 at 8:37 pm

These are adorable! :)

27. Krista on September 21, 2010 at 9:25 pm

You cookies are fabulous. I am a displaced Steelers fan living in Redskins territory. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the season so far. Troy is also one of my fave Steelers. Now If I could just get my Polamalu Hair do just right……

28. Jason on September 22, 2010 at 12:09 am

YES!! I live in Seattle now, but was born and raised in the burgh. How can I order those to be shipped? Yinz need to sell dem at Eat N Park n’at.

29. terri on September 22, 2010 at 7:36 am

adorable!!! omg. the boy at our house would LOVE these!!!!

30. Katie's Cucina on September 22, 2010 at 7:44 am

Being a born and raised devout Steelers fan I LOVE these cookies! I’m going to the game in Tampa on Sunday. Wish I could bring these cookies with me while we tailgate!!!

• Michelle on September 22nd, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Wave that Terrible Towel on Sunday! :) Thanks for representing down in Tampa!

31. Ashley on September 22, 2010 at 8:12 am

I LOVE these! I am going to have to make these this weekend for the game against Tampa =)
    I have had the same issue with the #10 jersey that Dixon is wearing — I’m certainly reminded of Stewart…hopefully there will NOT be a cameo haha

32. Bryan on September 22, 2010 at 2:42 pm

No attempt at fitting Ben’s full name? =) “roethlisberger”

• Michelle on September 22nd, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Haha, no although I potentially could have with a #1 tip. I did fit “Ponikarovsky” on Penguins jerseys that I made last year!

33. Tracy on September 22, 2010 at 3:45 pm

These are so cute! For the Steelers anyway, haha. ;-) I’ll definitely have to try these now that I have football-themed cookie cutters!

34. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on September 22, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Booooo! ;-) The cookies look great, even if they are Steelers cookies!

35. Becky on September 23, 2010 at 11:07 am

These jersey cookies are so cute! Go Bears! Sorry, Michelle, I’m in the Chicago area.

36. I can think of better reasons not to include Ben’s name. :/ Troy, on the other hand; you made my heart start beating faster just from seeing his name on the jersey. I’m a Bears fan too (Yea Becky), but I also pull for the Steelers because of my husband and my love for a good defense. Did you see Troy’s flying leap over both lines to the quarterback near the end zone last week? Who can beat that? Of course, I’m also a 49ers fan now because of Mike Singletary (the ultimate combination of defensive awesomeness and the Bears).

Anyhow, offtrack a little, huh? Your cookies are gorgeous and if I had a steady enough hand, I’d even attempt them.

• Michelle on September 23rd, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Lots of Bears fans around these parts! I don’t hate – lots of family lives in Chicago :) I did see Troy’s flying leap, the man is an amazing athlete, he never ceases to amaze.

37. Diana on September 23, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Love these cookies as much as Polamalu’s hair! :-)

Gooooo Steelers!

38. Michelle on September 24, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Totally awesome! I don’t know who would love these more – my son or my bro-in-law. My boy’s favorite shirt is his Polamalu jersey, so that cookie in particular would be a fast fave. Great job!!!

39. Renee (Kudos Kitchen) on September 27, 2010 at 11:18 am

Your Steeler jersey cookies are great! You added a great amount of detail with the numbers and the names. I like that.

40. Becca on October 4, 2010 at 11:07 pm

I love these! My family would love them too. GO STEELERS! Becca :)

41. Rebeca @ The Average Parent on January 25, 2011 at 11:12 pm

he, ha. Seeing #10 always gives me Cordell flashbacks too! I’m going to try to make these for my son’s preschool snack next week. I’m not very crafty with these things, but we live in Indiana…so steeler themed goodies are hard to come by. Wish me luck!

42. kierste on February 1, 2011 at 9:39 am

I featured these today–I LOVE these!

GO STEELERS!

43. Tina on February 2, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Here we go Steelers…here we go!!!!! Love these cookies!

44. Free Articles on February 17, 2011 at 12:05 am

So sweet. I just love these. Thanks

45. Angela on January 30, 2012 at 12:50 pm

These are so fantastic! I don’t know how I missed these! :/ We are a Steeler family too, and these would be perfect! Doesn’t matter that they aren’t in the Superbowl this year, we can still enjoy fashionable cookies! ;) Polamalu is my favorite too, and his white jersey is also what I’m getting for myself! ;)

46. Laura on January 14, 2014 at 7:29 am

Your cookies look GREAT! I am doing the same thing for my son’s hockey team. What size tip did you use to write the names and numbers? What type frosting did you use for the names and numbers? Is I just tinted royal icing?
    Thanks!!!

• Michelle on January 14th, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Hi Laura, Oh how fun! I used either a #2 decorating tip for writing the names/numbers. A #1 would be even more precise, but sometimes I have trouble with a #1 if the icing is a little on the thick side. I used tinted royal icing. Have fun!