The Weekend Dish: 10/9/2010

I can’t believe we’re already heading into the middle of October; time sure does fly! I celebrated the cool weather last weekend with a big pot of stew, fresh chocolate chip cookies and hot chocolate. Are you doing any cool weather, comfort food cooking yet? I’m thinking that a big pan of homemade mac ‘n cheese probably isn’t too far off. Always so yummy! For now though, let’s do a little weekend dishing! As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Then, some random musings about some random stuff. Enjoy! :)

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

Russian Pound Cake – An old recipe that my (Italian) mom and grandma have been making for decades. A super decadent pound cake with cherries and walnuts.

Garlic Knots – A very easy dough to work with, these are tasty, soft and light – perfect for pairing with your favorite fall soups!

Pittsburgh, in a Sandwich – The most iconic of Pittsburgh food traditions: the Primanti sandwich.

The Baked Brownie – The famous recipe from the Baked NYC bakery. It totally lives up to the hype!

Most Viewed Recipe This Week: Garlic Knots

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too:

Apple Cinnamon Rolls (montecarte)
These are so light and tender and with the addition of apple, the perfect cinnamon roll to make during the fall season.

Baked Potato Soup (Two Peas and Their Pod)
I love thick, creamy soup. I love potatoes and cheese. This soup is allllll me.

Chocolate Marble Black Bottom Cheesecake (Baking Bites)
I’m close to having no words. This is gorgeous, it’s a cheesecake, it’s part chocolate. Heavenly.

Pumpkin Flan (Bitchin’ Camero)
This is what pumpkin desserts look like in a fancy prom dress. Perfect for a dinner party – great way to integrate pumpkin into a fall dessert and make it look elegant. This is stunning.

Vanilla Rice Pudding & Chocolate Panna Cotta (Tartelette)
These were too gorgeous and perfect-looking to not want to make immediately. I am sure they are every bit as delicious as they look!

Weekend Fun

Some random musings about stuff that has gone on in the last week…

1. My fantasy football team is now 4-0. Kinda crazy! But fun, especially since I’m the only girl ;-) Trying to go 5-0 this week. Thinking of leaving my #1 pick, Ray Rice,  on the bench. I’m walking on the wild side people!

2. I want this shirt. If you’re from Pittsburgh, I bet you do too.

You can buy it here.

3. Pens opened the season at the new Consol Energy Center on Thursday night. Thank you, Mario Lemieux, for saving the franchise by buying it, keeping it in Pittsburgh, and getting us a new arena. And thank you for creating a complete class act organization. Example: kids started lining up for student rush tickets on Wednesday night (first of all, how great is it that they still do student rush, even though they easily sell out every game?). Thursday morning, David Morehouse (VP), Ray Shero (beloved GM), and Dan Bylsma (head coach) delivered donuts and coffee to all of the kids standing in line. I’m beyond proud to be a fan.

After Mario christened the new arena, we lost to the Flyers, which is a bitter pill to swallow. But it’s only one game. Tyler Kennedy scored the first Pens’ goal at Consol and as Rob Rossi (the Pens reporter for the Trib) pointed out, the last time Tyler Kennedy scored the first goal of the season was two years ago. Ya know, the year we won the Cup. So, I’ll ride that wave for now. I’ll be there for the game against Montreal tonight. Let’s Go Pens!

4. Steelers on a bye. Hopefully Ben isn’t up to any shenanigans during his first week back. Fingers crossed.

5. BlogHer Food. Shout out to all of my fellow food bloggers hanging out in San Francisco this weekend at the BlogHer Food conference. I’m sure it’s a blast and everyone is having a fabulous time. I can’t wait to hear all about it and hope I can make it next year!

That’s all I got this week. Hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend and your respective teams win, as long as you’re not rooting for the Canadiens ;-)

20 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 10/9/2010”

1. Cindy Manwarren on October 9, 2010 at 3:22 am

I’m having a great time at Bloghetr Food ’10. Hope you can attend next year! I love reading your blog and would love to meet you at Blogher.

• Michelle on October 10th, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Thanks Cindy! I am definitely planning on attending next year!

2. Lauren at KeepItSweet on October 9, 2010 at 8:18 am

have a great weekend! i have so many recipes i want to try i can’t decide what to do first lol

3. Lori on October 9, 2010 at 8:49 am

I made a stew and pot roast the other night so I’m set for dinner tonight. Today is all chores – no cooking or baking. Tomorrow is a day in NYC at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and afternoon tea at the St. Regis. Can’t wait. Weather is to be sunny and beautiful.

• Michelle on October 10th, 2010 at 7:19 pm

That sounds like a fabulous day Lori! I hope you had a wonderful time!

4. Rachel on October 9, 2010 at 9:52 am

You know I’ve never been to a hockey before but I’ve always wanted to. Reading about it on your blog makes me want to go to one even more!

• Michelle on October 10th, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Yay, so happy to hear I’m spreading hockey fever! You should definitely try to get to a game – I think seeing a hockey game live is the best sporting event ever!

5. Tanya on October 9, 2010 at 11:01 am

I am LOVING your Pittsburgh posts! Makes me feel like I’m home!

• Michelle on October 10th, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Aw, yay Pittsburgh love :)

6. Katie on October 9, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I can’t believe it’s mid October either! We went to an apple orchard today and picked a big bag so apple stuff-bread, crisp, maybe cheesecake?- are going to be happening this week for sure. I made a super awesome Thai style butternut squash soup with coconut milk, red curry paste and red lentils. Spaghetti squash is piling up from my CSA so that will need to be dealt with too.. any good recipes to share?

7. MonicaB on October 9, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Love the shirt…I might have to get one of those. We are huge Steeler fans even thought we never lived there. I need a new shirt for game day!

• Michelle on October 10th, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Isn’t that a great shirt?! And how awesome that you’re Steeler fans even though you’re not from the ‘Burgh; love it!

8. Katrina on October 9, 2010 at 9:58 pm

My favorite post of yours this week was your brownie recipe. It looks amazing!

• Michelle on October 10th, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Thanks Katrina, they are awesome, I hope you try them!

9. Lisa S on October 10, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I just came across your blog and love the recipes… the brownies look outrageous! I hope you didn’t sit Ray Rice today… :-)

• Michelle on October 10th, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Hi Lisa, great to have you here! Umm, I did sit Ray Rice (hanging my head in shame). I’m hoping that I lose by more than what he would have gotten me so I can say the loss was out of my hands ;-) Peyton Manning and Arian Foster were crap for me today!

10. Maria on October 11, 2010 at 1:03 am

I hope you like the soup! Missed you this weekend. Next year you are coming and going to be my roomie! Hope you enjoyed your hockey and football though!

• Michelle on October 11th, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Yes, it is a definite plan!

11. foodlvr on October 11, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I made a Butternut Squash Quick Bread, a batch of my son’s favorite banana muffins, and I roasted some tomatoes. I took out the crockpot, made some Chicken Cacciatore in it, and tonight I am making a ravioli casserole in it. Fall is definitely here.