What Are You Thankful For?

We spend a lot of time leading up to Thanksgiving planning menus, nagging relatives that haven’t RSVP’d yet, going grocery shopping, figuring out how to fit a card table for the kids in the dining room, and fretting about getting the house clean and in order before everyone shows up. With everything going on it’s easy to forget the nature of the holiday, so I thought I would take a short breather from the hustle and bustle and think about the question that many ask around the Thanksgiving table: What are you thankful for this year?

As for me, I am thankful for…

♥  Having a roof over my head and a job that pays the bills, when so many right now do not.

♥  Parents that never tried to force me to be anything other than who I wanted to be, and who gave me the confidence to be it.

♥  A dad who, although he passed away much too soon, taught me to laugh, not take life too seriously, and to follow my gut when making decisions.

♥  A mom who will always do anything to help her kids.

♥  A sister who, although we can’t figure out how we came out of the same womb (can you say night and day?), is always there for me.

♥  Two best friends that I have known since before I was a teenager. Going through those teenage years together forms an exceptional bond.

♥  Being able to witness a massive blizzard and a beautiful beach sunrise within 6 months of each other this year (snow and the beach being two of my favorite things).

♥  Love.

What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving holiday season?

39 Responses to “What Are You Thankful For?”

1. cardamom hills on November 15, 2010 at 2:29 am

such pretty pictures…touch wood! so many things to be thankful for!!

2. Katrina on November 15, 2010 at 6:17 am

Awww what a nice tribute! I’m thankful for family and friends, for a roof over my head, and for a university education. I forget how lucky I am sometimes.

3. Holly on November 15, 2010 at 7:59 am

Very nice post. I am thankful that I discovered food blogs this year. Yeah, a little late to the party, I know. Moreover, I am thankful for my family and my home.

4. Paula on November 15, 2010 at 8:14 am

What a lovely post! Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving and continued blessings throughout the coming year :)

• Michelle on November 15th, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Same to you Paula! Thank you :)

5. Tabitha @ From Single to Married on November 15, 2010 at 8:18 am

So many things but this week especially I’m grateful that my sister and her family are coming to stay with us (on Friday). I can hardly wait! :)

6. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on November 15, 2010 at 8:22 am

What a beautiful post… And a great reminder to put things in perspective. I have so much to be thankful for. This time of year, my mind is always drawn to those who cannot afford a roof over their head and food to eat, two things that I have never truly worried about.

7. the blissful baker on November 15, 2010 at 8:37 am

aww this is a sweet post!

8. Maria on November 15, 2010 at 10:08 am

Such a great post! I loved all of the photos and it was a great reminder to truly enjoy the Thanksgiving and holiday season. We all have a lot to be grateful for!

9. Sara on November 15, 2010 at 10:27 am

Wonderful pictures! I have a lot to be thankful for this year. Firstly, I am thankful for my family who will see me through every event in my life, good or bad. I am thankful to be working close to full time through 3 jobs, when I know that some people have no job at all. I am thankful to have finally found a man who loves me for everything that I am. I’m just thankful!! :D

10. Marly on November 15, 2010 at 10:37 am

I’m thankful for grateful people who share their stories of gratitude that causes me to reflect on the ways I’m grateful as well. Thank you!

11. Jenny Flake on November 15, 2010 at 10:59 am

LOVE this Michelle. Such a perfect time to year to express our gratitude for all we are thankful for. Loved all of the photos :)

12. Sarah R. on November 15, 2010 at 11:06 am

I like this post! It is so easy to get caught up and forget to be thankful- I know I need to spend more time focusing on what I HAVE than what I do not have.

I am most thankful for my husband and son. I am also thankful for having a healthy pregnancy. (After 2 miscarriages this year- it is the best gift).

On a lighter note- I am thankful for being able to eat again! I was so incredibly sick at the beginning of this pregnancy that I could not really eat much for almost 5 months without getting sick! I missed eating- it is one of the great things about being alive! haha! Plus now- I can get back to cooking and making the delicious foods your post on this blog!!

13. Rachel on November 15, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Great post. This is, after all, one of the reasons we get to enjoy all this great food on Thanksgiving!
    I’m thankful for the freedom to explore and try all sorts of directions in life without committing to any one passion for good.
    I’m very thankful for my wonderful fiance, everything he does, and how happy he makes me.
    I’m really thankful for happiness at this point in my life!

14. Lisa McBrayer on November 15, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Very nice things to be thankful for.

15. Janene on November 15, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I have a lot to be Thankful for this year, too. Mainly – above EVERYTHING else – I’m Thankful for healthy, happy kiddos and a loving hubby.

Great post – and honestly, you and your sister look more alike than me and mine!! ;)

• Michelle on November 15th, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Haha that may be true Janene, but in terms of personality and likes/dislikes, I don’t think we could be more different. On Friday we were driving somewhere together and I turned on sports talk radio and she looked at me and said, “How are we even sisters?” We laughed. We seriously can’t figure it out ;-)

16. Casey on November 15, 2010 at 1:05 pm

This was such a nice reminder of what’s important in life. It may be different from person to person, but hopefully we can all find something that gets us through the day, makes us smile and connects us to each other. Can’t explain the unsubscribes, but you have to be true to yourself. Frankly, I think it’s kind of nice to be allowed a peek inside your life and what matters to you, beyond the beautiful photos and delicious recipes which we have all come to know and love! Hope you have a great holiday season with your friends, family and great food!

Best,
    Casey

17. Penny Wolf on November 15, 2010 at 1:13 pm

In a nutshell I am honestly grateful for every aspect of my life. Trust me there are some heartaches but compared to my blessings my complaining is almost a luxury. Thank you for reminding us that Thanksgiving is everyday.

18. Tracy on November 15, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Beautiful post! I’m thankful for my hubby! :-)

19. Amanda@Choc-Chip-Cookie-Recipe.com on November 15, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I needed this today! I am thankful for my health and the health of my husband and children. We take it for granted. We know some people who lost their two year old in a very tragic accident last week. I think that Penny puts it rather well. In light of this recent event in my life “my complaining is almost a luxury.”

I plan to be with family this holiday and thank God for everything I have every day because I just don’t know when that can change. Thanks for the reminder Brown Eyed Baker!

Regards,
    Amanda

20. Natalia - a side of simple on November 15, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I really enjoyed this post :) I’ve been making it a point each day when I wake up to say one thing that I am thankful for right away, so that no matter how my day may turn out, it started off on the right foot. This morning I was/am thankful for the wonderful weekend I had with my mom and sister.

21. Mariko on November 15, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Sometimes I get to feeling sorry for myself.
    But seriously. I may not be rich (or even uppermiddle class), but I have a job, health insurance (!!!), a place to live, food in my fridge, TONS of leisure time (even though I think it’s not enough– I’m way better off with that than most), and a lot of opportunity.
    I think that’s pretty awesome. Thanks for giving us another chance to remember that.

22. edna murga on November 15, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Thank you for the beautiful reminder to “Be” thankful…iam thankful for my 5 children, two grandchildren and my wonderful husband and our life together here in Portland, Oregon…iam thankful for my health and that of my family and the for the blessed opportunity to spend one more year together…Sometimes i get caught up in the ordinary life and forget that within my life extraordinary things do happen, if i pay attention…Brightest blessings to you and yours…e*

23. Pamela on November 15, 2010 at 9:28 pm

I’m thankful for joy and peace…for family love, immediate and extended. We had a man in one church we pastored who always answered that question with “I’m thankful for turkey.” They never had money for turkey when he was a child.

24. April on November 15, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Last year a few of my friends and I started “gratitude e-mails” where we would send an e-mail every day or two saying three things we’re thankful for. It sort of died off halfway through the year, but three of us have started them up again. So, I am thankful for gratitude e-mails with two of my closest friends from high school, the fact that I am still in touch with those close friends, the technological advances that we have that allow me to stay in touch with friends that are far away, my wonderful family, many luxuries that we take for granted every day, and all the love that I both give and receive every day.

25. Cookin' Canuck on November 15, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Lovely sentiments, Michelle. As much as we love the Thanksgiving feast, this is what the holiday is really about.

26. vicki in ga on November 15, 2010 at 11:41 pm

The recipes on your web site.
    My mountain home in Georgia.
    Not living in California any longer!
    A peaceful life.
    A job that I love.
    Memories of my lovely grandparents.
    I’m too blessed to be depressed!

• Vicki in GA on November 15th, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Oh, i forgot….Miller Lite!

27. Jane on November 16, 2010 at 7:45 am

Very nice post. It was thought provoking and a nice way to start my day.

28. Nuts about Food on November 16, 2010 at 8:22 am

With a few people close to me getting seriously ill this year, the thing I am thankful for is my health and my family’s health.

29. Maggy@ThreeManyCooks on November 16, 2010 at 9:00 am

I am thankful to be home for Thanksgiving for the first time in 7 years!

30. Ali @ Three Baking Sheets on November 16, 2010 at 12:13 pm

My favorite kind of post. Thanks for the reminder to breathe and reflect.

I’m eternally thankful for:

having a tight-knit family
    a very awesome husband
    2 equally awesome cats
    my steady job
    good food
    craft beer
    Alan Rickman

31. Cheryl Pope on November 16, 2010 at 1:50 pm

OMG! It is that time of year, isn’t it. Of course, you should be thankful all year. I am of course thankful for my husband, children, health, friends and family. I am definitely thankful for the opportunity to share my vision with the masses:)

32. mayra on November 16, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I am thankful for my family, for our health, and for having the luck of being a stay at home mom. For my doggie!

33. pitterpatter4 on November 16, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I’m thanking the Lord for:
    a. a year of feeling wonderful because of humira
    b. that I still can’t wait for weekly date night with Hubby even after 20+ years
    c. love, love, love of/for family & friends

34. Tanya on November 16, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I’m thankful for so much. What I am most thankful is all the wonderful people in my life who love and support me as I do them. And my amazing cat Emeril. He makes life interesting and nothing beats snuggling with a purring a cat!

Have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

35. Kelsey on November 16, 2010 at 10:07 pm

1) my parents. for their love and their financial assistance.
    2) my amazing roommate. if you knew my situation last year, you would understand
    3) my job. a paycheck that appears in my account every two weeks? hellz to the yeah

36. Carrie on November 17, 2010 at 12:23 pm

i’m thankful for not being sick. i was in extreme pain this time of year last year and went to the doc and was told i had a tumor the day after thanksgiving.