There’s someone I’d like you to meet…

He’s almost 4 years old, he’s blonde, and he sheds like no one’s business…

My golden retriever, Einstein.

You may have seen a post or two about him when I made peanut butter doggy treats or when I baked him his very own birthday cake. But I thought he deserved an official introduction over here on Unplugged. I grew up with a dog, my mom got a dog while I was in college, and I’ve been around a lot of friends’ and family members’ dogs, and I can say, unequivocally, that Einstein is, by far, the most hysterical dog I have ever met. He is full of personality and character, and I’m pretty convinced that he thinks he’s a person.

A little about him…

- He’s a bottomless pit and will gladly eat anything he can get in that mouth of his. Including, but not limited to: Food of any kind (but he especially loves peanut butter and bananas), napkins, paper towels, stockings, toys that he manages to shred apart (see below), flip flops, etc. He has, however, developed an aversion to anything mint-flavored after an unfortunate incident that involved him polishing off an entire batch of custard I made for mint chocolate chip ice cream. That didn’t end well.

- When he’s most exhausted he sleeps upside down. I had never seen a dog do this before him, but he’s done it since he was a puppy.

- He loves the snow. He’ll throw himself down in it and just writhe around.

- He loves my mom’s dog. They’re best buds.

- He’s insanely smart. Which is both awesome and horrible at the same time. He picks up on tricks and commands super fast, but he also knows how to pull his own manipulative tricks. Little bugger.

I’m sure you’ll be hearing (and seeing) quite a bit of Einstein over here, so I thought you all should get acquainted. Stay tuned for the adventures ;-)

Do you have any pets? Tell me about them!

19 Responses to “There’s someone I’d like you to meet…”

1. Lori on December 3, 2010 at 6:35 am

Einstein is adorable! I don’t own any pets now but growing up we had a German Shepherd named Ginger. She too was very smart and had human qualities. My mother had baked cookies and when going out had left 5 or 6 of them on the counter for my father when he came home. The dog ate 3 or 4 but knew to leave him 2. She was found out when my dad asked my mom how come she only left him a “taste” on the counter. We all knew the answer when Ginger slinked away. lol

• Michelle on December 5th, 2010 at 10:45 pm

That’s so funny!! Einstein would never leave anything behind, haha!

2. lisa on December 3, 2010 at 7:05 am

Im such a dog lover, so I love this post! He looks so cute!
    I have two dogs, cheyenne & angel. Angel is the grumpy old women in the house, she will be 15 and cheyenne is a bottomless pit too. Shes 5 but only sticks to food. She will never turn anything away! haha

3. Erin on December 3, 2010 at 11:50 am

Einstein sounds a lot like my golden retriever/st. bernard mix Maggie! She’s ridiculously smart and so human-like I always joke that she’s got more personality than most people I know ;-) She also likes to sleep on her back! She’s gotten into SO much stuff that I’ve been tempted countless times to start a blog devoted to her antics… one day in the life of Maggie:

(Mother’s Day last year) I awoke at 6 am to hear her barking crazily. She had a skunk pinned in the corner of the yard… she got skunked (for the 4th time). I had baked cookies for Mother’s Day dinner, naturally, and decided to go for a jog. The cookies were cooling on a rack on the counter. I returned 30 minutes later to find that Maggie had broken into my house (she knows how to open unlocked human doors!), had eaten all 24 of my chocolate chip cookies, and was sound asleep on my couch (covered in skunk spray!) :D

This is just one of MANY of these stories. I love her so much!!! :D

• Michelle on December 5th, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Oh man! Skunk on your couch, eeeeek!!! Sounds like Maggie had herself a little party ;-) Einstein pounced a groundhog in the yard a few months ago and I started screaming at him, I thought he was going to destroy thing in front of me. The groundhog got away and he chased it through the woods for awhile (I just saw trees rustling!) then came back.

4. Marycke on December 3, 2010 at 4:02 pm

We have a Golden too. She’s 2 yrs old and she sleeps JUST like Einstein, we had never seen that either. Our previous Goldens never did that. That is so funny!
    She (Sophie) is wonderful…so people friendly and also will eat almost anything.
    When I’m chopping food at the counter she squeezes between me and the cabinets to catch anything that might come her way. She loves carrots, bananas and cheese especially.

• Michelle on December 5th, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Goldens really are wonderful – so friendly and sweet. Einstein loves carrots too!

5. Debbie on December 3, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Einstein looks like he has a ton of personality. I love the way he sleeps when he is exhausted! We have a 65+ lb mutt named Sadie. We adopted her when she was one year old and now she’s 10. Much like Einstein, she has a bottomless pit. In fact, when we came home from dinner tonight, there were three movie theater sized boxes of candy on the floor. The box of Goobers was still intact, the box of Life Saver Gummies was torn to shreds but the inside foil package had not been opened & the contents of the Hot Tamales box were spread out on the carpet. It appears she had tasted some of the Hot Tamales but decided they weren’t for her! I’m sure she made a beeline to her water bowl after tasting the Hot Tamales. Too bad we don’t have a surveillance video of her escapades this evening! Now I need to go buy more candy for the kids in my 6th grade Sunday School class.

• Michelle on December 5th, 2010 at 10:52 pm

I always thought it would be great to have a hidden camera to see what he does when I’m not home! It sounds like Sadie had a little movie party, ha! I’m sure she didn’t appreciate the Hot Tamales, LOL!

6. Marci on December 4, 2010 at 8:43 am

What a handsome boy! The hubs and I have a nut ball of a lab named Bailey. She’s a counter surfer. The first time she discovered that she could get food off of the counter, it was filet, my filet. She’s been doing it ever since. Her latest feat is opening up a mayonnaise jar, like twisting it open and eating the contents. Nothing is safe on my kitchen counters or table…still love her though!

• Michelle on December 5th, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Hahaha! Mayonnaise! Einstein can unscrew the tops to water bottles. And I totally hear you – nothing safe for me either. He has eaten entire baking sheets of raw meatballs, and chocolate chip cookies individually wrapped in plastic wrap – plastic wrap and all!

7. Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on December 4, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Michelle! I think my cat Milo and Einstein were separated at birth. Milo sleeps like that too. And he’s wickedly smart. He knows how to count. If I don’t give him 2 scoops of dry food, he cries and whines and moans and bugs me until he gets that second scoop. He knows how to open doors, and once, when he was bored and annoyed at me, spent an entire afternoon pulling his kibble out of his automatic feeder, one bit of kibble by one bit of kibble – so that by the time I realized he was being far too quiet, an entire 4 quart automatic feeder’s worth of dry food was in a nice little mountain outside his bowl. He also loves butter. Anything with butter. And will beg for it like a dog. And he drinks out of the toilet. *groan*

His ‘brother’, Connor, is just as diabolical. Connor knows that I keep my glasses and contacts on the bed side table. I think he’s also figured out that I’m blind as a bat without them. Because when he’s really super mad at me, he walks across the bed, over to the table, and smacks one or the off and into the nether regions behind the bed/table. Mind you, he *only* does this when I’ve got neither item on. He *knows* I can’t see!

James and I like to joke that if they had thumbs, we’d all be in trouble. They’re very Pinky and The Brain-like.

I just love Einstein. I’d love to have a dog, but Connor won’t hear of it. Milo grew up at his breeder’s with Golden Retrievers, so he’s okay with it. Connor, however, does things with my glasses any time I even say the word ‘puppy’.

• Michelle on December 5th, 2010 at 10:56 pm

OH! Einstein can count too!! He gets three scoops of food and he watches me put them in his bowl and as soon as the third scoop hits the bowl, he runs to the kitchen where I put his bowl down and waits. I’ve also pulled an entire stick of butter out of his throat. *sigh* ;-)

8. Tina from PA on December 5, 2010 at 4:38 pm

How super cute! I’m a dog lover also. We have 3 Bichons ,Molly ,Tyler and Abby. They are so much fun and they will be going to Pappy’s in Greensburg Pa for Christmas! They love to “go bye bye for a ride” the trip takes us 4-5 hours and if we didn’t stop to exercise them ,they really wouldn’t care.

• Michelle on December 5th, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Aw so fun! Have a safe trip up for Christmas!

9. Amber on December 6, 2010 at 7:51 pm

It’s EINY!! He is just as handsome as I remember. I sure wish him and Cole could meet. Cole could teach him some new tricks, like fetching slippers and showing off his stocking when asked where it is. Cole sleeps upside also, its quite hilarious. Cole’s other habits include chewing his nails, snoring, and licking absolutely everything!

• Michelle on December 6th, 2010 at 10:29 pm

I always thought Cole and Einy would be great friends :)

10. Paula on December 11, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Your friend is really cute!!! I have a cat at home, and I know how you can love a pet!! I hope you can be together lots of time!!

11. pedaling on December 19, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Our golden looks just like yours! and sleeps like him too!