POLL: Magazine Subscriptions

So, I think I might be addicted to magazines. I’m kind of old school when it comes to newspapers and magazines (and also books). I’ll check the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s website if I see a link to an interesting article or want to skim “breaking news”, however, for me, nothing can replace paging through a newspaper, curling up with a new magazine or a good book (that leaves me out of the Kindle arena too).

At current count I subscribe to Real Simple, Martha Stewart Living, Cook’s Illustrated, Bon Appetit and Everyday Food. I typically renew my subscriptions in December, and I’m planning to renew all of them but am still undecided about Martha Stewart Living. It’s kind of craft-heavy and I usually only find something that peaks my interest about once every 3 months. So I may let that one go. However, there are quite a few I want to add to the list. Currently considering: Pittsburgh Magazine (obviously local), Women’s Health, a news/current events one (Time? Newsweek?), a photography mag (any recs?), and a personal finance mag (thinking Money).

And now for the poll: How many magazines do you subscribe to? Which ones do you receive? Any recommendations for some new ones I’m looking at? Do I have a magazine addiction problem? ;-)

37 Responses to “POLL: Magazine Subscriptions”

1. Lori on December 6, 2010 at 6:43 am

Yes I have an addiction. I currently only subscribe to two magazines. Taste of Home and an online subscription to Cooks Illustrated. My problem, I can’t bear to throw any of those pretty magazines away hence the online subscription to Cooks. By the way just wanted to let you know that I made your lemon Burst Cookies yesterday. Big hit with the family. It was a trial run for the neighborhood cookie swap next week. I was told this one is a keeper! Thanks so much for posting it.

• Michelle on December 6th, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Oooh glad you liked the lemon burst cookies! They are one of my mom’s favorites :)

2. Jessica on December 6, 2010 at 7:35 am

I’m a magazine junky! I’m embarrassed to even list them all here, but I will say that when I got married 3 years ago, I cut them in 1/2 and I only kind of miss them! The one you didn’t mention that I RUN to the mailbox for every month is the Food Network Magazine. I absolutely LOVE it!

3. Amanda on December 6, 2010 at 8:28 am

I only subscribe to Food & Wine. I love it, and like Lori said above, I can’t bear to throw any of them away, so they’re piling up in my tiny apartment!! I still go back to certain issues over and over again for recipes and travel/restaurant recommendations.

4. Cara on December 6, 2010 at 8:59 am

I would have to say I’m a magazine junkie too! I LOVE Martha Stewart Weddings and have been collecting them since 2003. Yes, every single issue. and I am married too. I get Everyday Food, food network magazine and southern living and better homes and gardens, woman’s day, and family circle.

5. Nicole on December 6, 2010 at 9:55 am

I, too, like having a real newspaper to read while I sip my morning tea. Currently we subscribe to Bon Appetit, Saveur (just subscribed & really enjoying that one), Cooks Illustrated, National Geographic, Scientific American, Time, and Pittsburgh Magazine. Pgh Mag is nice and has lots of listings of things to do/see/places to go/eat and food reviews, but I’m not sure I’d subscribe if it cost more because it’s a little ‘light & fluffy’ — but we love the best restaurants and best places issues. Those alone are worth it! The weekly one, Time, we like but with everything else to read (books, plus other hobbies and sports to watch and chores to do and just life in general), they tend to pile up and everytime one arrives in the mail, we kind of groan. We’re not going to renew that one.

• Michelle on December 6th, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Thanks for the tip on Pittsburgh Magazine! And for the thoughts on Time as well, much appreciated!

6. Trudy on December 6, 2010 at 10:15 am

I’m afraid I don’t subscribe to any food magazines, although there are two I subscribe to that have food recipes in them. I too read books I can hold in my hand and enjoy, big time library patron, and the local paper each morning with my tea. I subscribe to: Yankee, Southern Living, National Geographic, Smithsonian, Oklahoma magazine, Lupus Monthly, Newsweek, Natural History, and a mail subscription to The Oregonian newspaper out of Portland, OR. I consider OR my “home” although I’m a military brat and was a military wife and live in Okieland!

7. Merry on December 6, 2010 at 10:26 am

My husband would say that I definately have a magazine addiction. I subscribe, and then I KEEP. Last summer I made my big project to go back through six years of Taste of Home magazines and clip the recipes I wanted to keep and then discard the magazine. Instead of a bulging cupboard of cooking magazines, I now have a bulging according file of recipe clippings. It takes up less room, however, so he his happy.

I subscribe to Taste of Home (although I made another deal with my husband that if he bought me the cookbook I’d give up the subscription: he held up his end of the bargain…I’m not sure if I’ll be able to do the same, though…), Family Circle, Better Homes and Gardens, Fitness, Diet and Nutrition, and Parents.

8. Sarah on December 6, 2010 at 10:40 am

I love magazines, the smells and turning the pages. I currently subscribe to 5 magazines. Food Network, Good Housekeeping, Shape, BHG AND Family Circle. I have a terrible time throwing them away.

9. Martha on December 6, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I cut back on some magazines. Ladies Home Journal was getting boring…so I didn’t renew that one but I still love Good Housekeeping. And I still get Taste of Home and Cooks Illustrated (I love the fact that they have minimal advertising) and I get the National Geographic just because it’s so beautiful. They are REALLY impossible to throw away ! I give them to my mother, who shares them around her senior apartments. I like recipes that are “from scratch”…….. that’s the biggest reason I cancelled some of them. I also a couple of backyard/gardening mags.
    The biggest problem is not letting accumulate on the coffee table!

10. Tracy on December 6, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I subscribed to Bon Appetit this year, but I don’t really like it because every issue seems like it is 90% ads. I won’t subscribe again, but I am definitely planning to subscribe to Taste of Home and Fine Cooking – love them both!

• Michelle on December 6th, 2010 at 2:30 pm

You know Tracy, I sort of ride the fence on Bon Appetit. I feel like one month I’ll get it and be like, “eh, I don’t know if I need to renew” but then the next month I doggie ear almost every other page. I guess I’m afraid I might miss something, ha!

• Dawn on December 28th, 2012 at 5:51 am

Try out their new iPad edition if you get the print version. It’s the first iPad version magazine that’s actually as good if not better than the print one.

11. Rachel on December 6, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I normally don’t subscribe because it seems expensive but not nearly as pricey as buying each magazine you see at the store. I signed up for taste of home this year because I got a really good deal and actually won a subscription to fine cooking. I don’t hang on to magazines. I flip through them almost immediately when they come in the door – rip out what I want and the rest goes into the recycling bin. I can’t be bothered with long articles or ads – I just want good recipes. :)

12. Allison on December 6, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I subscribe to Real Simple, Self and Food Network magazine. LOVE Food Network; Self is solid for fitness and wellness tips. The geek in me wants to subscribe to mental_floss and will soon.

13. Jeannette on December 6, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I, unfortunately due to money issues, don’t subscribe to any. But if I did, Gourmet would have been on my top 5 along with Cook’s and Bon Appetit so you have all the goodies ;) As a new idea: try Taste of Home.

14. Marly on December 6, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I think you definitely might have a problem. I know this because I read about it in a magazine. (smile). I subscribe to only 2: O and Yoga. My hubby subscribes to (and I read) Photography, Mac, and Tennis. My daughter subscribes to American Girl (that one might be expired now) and Popular Science. OMG! I think WE have a problem! I’m going to go get help right now…but first I want to read this article in O…

15. Theresa on December 6, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I get about as many as you do! I subscribe to Bon Apetit, Cooking Light, and Southern Living, and I have an online subscription to Cook’s Illustrated. I like them all for different reasons, and while I like not having one more magazine to clutter up the house with Cook’s Illustrated, I also tend to forget about the online subscription.

16. Amy on December 6, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I just signed up for a free trial issue of Cook’s Illustrated now that I have my very own kitchen, but I’ve been a big fan of Real Simple for years. I gave up on Time, but mostly because I never acutally had time to read the darn thing, and then I’d finally just sit and knock out four of them in one go.

17. Suzi on December 6, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I subscribe to Everyday Food, Time, Family Circle, Bon Appetit, and the Food Network Magazine. I love the FN magazine and I’m obsessed with Everyday Food – I get so excited when it comes each month!

I’ve decided that I don’t care for Family Circle anymore – I only wanted it for their recipe section, but it’s fairly short, and their recipes are lately of the “semi-homemade” variety, which I don’t do. That usually gets tossed aside as soon as it comes in.

I like Bon Appetit, but I don’t think I’ll keep up the subscription. I’ve made ONE recipe in the year or so I’ve subscribed (the Moroccan-spiced chicken with dates on couscous an issue or two ago. It was delicious). Their recipes are often so darned complicated, often using fancy-pants expensive ingredients or just too daunting for me to bother with when I’m only feeding me and my husband. I mean, the recipe for that cake on the cover is TWO FULL PAGES. Come on.

I agree with the comment above about Time magazine – with everything else I read, I don’t find a lot of time to read the weekly editions of Time. They do tend to pile up.

I’m thinking I’d like to subcribe to Real Simple, Everyday Living (although your review of it gives me pause), and Cooks Illustrated.

18. Bonnie Haile on December 6, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Country Living is the best, even for those in the north

19. Alisa on December 6, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I am a total magazine addict! I subscribe to 17 magazines (and those don’t include the couple my husband gets). Women’s Health, Glamour, Consumer Reports, Family Fun, Everday Food, American Baby, Living, Good Housekeeping, Fitness, Parenting, Shape, Parents, Self, Real Simple, Ladies Home Journal, Family Circle, & Shop Smart. I love them all and can’t bear to not read them all (which I do, even with 2 kids…good eliptical reading material). I do pass every single magazine on to one of my friends or my sister, so they all get a double (or more) reading, making me feel a little better about my crazy addiction :)

• Michelle on December 6th, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I love the idea of passing on magazines to others once you are done with them, I am definitely going to start doing that!

20. CathyN on December 6, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I’m with you on Martha Stewart Living, sometimes it’s great and sometimes I wonder does anyone really make some of the recipes. I wouldn’t be able to find most of the ingredients in my town. I like the Food Network magazine a lot and being in the south, Southern Living is a must!

21. Delishhh on December 6, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Great topic. I used to subscribe to many magazines. But what would happen is that they would pile up on the kitchen table and at the end of the year i had not even opened 1/2 of them. So i canceled ALL of them and started with ones i would really read every month. Today i only subscribe to a few things: Cooks, Food & Wine, Women’s Health, Seattle Magazine and that is it. I have even managed to get ride of 90% of my catalogs that i get in the mail and through http://www.catalogchoice.org/which is awesome i got ride of most of them. I especially hate during the holidays when my mailbox is just filled with catalogs i would never even open. It took me awhile but now i hardly get any and love it, plus good for the environment.

• Michelle on December 6th, 2010 at 10:34 pm

I am definitely checking out the Catalog Choice site – I agree, I get way too many catalogs that I would never open!

22. Books n' Cooks on December 6, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I’ve got a couple different subscriptions, but the one must have is Fine Cooking magazine. I’ve never made anything from it that I haven’t loved.

23. Lisa @ Dishes of Mrs. Fish on December 6, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I love magazines!

I subscribe to Runner’s World and Cooking Light. I don’t think I’ll be renewing Cooking Light. But I plan on keeping Runner’s World, and may add Food Network Magazine and Cook’s Illustrated.

24. Val on December 6, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I subscribe to a magazine I was introduced to about 5 years age, Cuisine At Home,
    All reccipes NO advertisements.. . . .Recipes one would make. . . . 6 issues a year. I quit geting Bon Appetit as I found I rarely made any of the recipes. I must have missed something in the Food Network Magazine I did not enjoy as I thought I would.

25. Michelle on December 6, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I see lots of happy customers of Food Network magazine and Taste of Home – will definitely be checking those out!

26. Karen on December 7, 2010 at 12:49 am

I love magazines! My favorites are Fine Cooking (the best cooking magazine, in my opinion), Cook’s Illustrated, Cuisine at Home, Food Network, & Everyday Food. I also like Self, Real Simple, Women’s Running, & In Style.

27. Robyn on December 7, 2010 at 11:26 am

is no one else a celebrity gossip hag like me? i don’t subscribe, but i usually pick up one of people, us weekly or entertainment weekly off the newstand every week! guity pleasure, what can i say? i recently got a gift subscription to everyday food, so i’m looking forward to that. i don’t read any other food magazines though. only now realizing how weird that is!

• Michelle on December 7th, 2010 at 11:52 am

You know Robyn, I used to be totally into them – I would pick up USWeekly at the grocery store every week. The last couple of years though, my habit seems to have waned ;-)

28. Niki on December 7, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Only Bon Appetit and Everyday Food for me. Though I’ve just decided to not renew Bon Appetit. I found that I wasn’t making many of the recipes and the magazines just keep piling up. Plus the recipes can all be found on Epicurious anyway. I have been eyeing Cooks Illustrated and Cook’s Country though…

29. Courtney on December 13, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I love magazines as well! I’ve been lucky enough to receive two gift subscriptions–one for Real Simple and one for Better Homes and Gardens. Better Homes and Gardens is a really great one to get ideas for all sorts of things in the home–decor, gardening, and food! I always liked the food section the best, but I have to admit I pulled quite a few pages out of the home decor section when we were painting our house.

I would definitely recommend gifting a magazine subscription. It’s just so exciting to receive a new publication every month! I got one of my magazine subscriptions for a wedding gift and the other for being a bridesmaid in a wedding. I thought it was a really thoughtful and different gift. I’m actually doing subscriptions for Christmas gifts for a couple people this year. There are magazines for every hobby and interest. I even found a gluten free food magazine for my mom who has Celiac’s!

30. Candace on December 16, 2010 at 7:27 am

3! Well two now one ran out..

Woman’s Day