40 Healthy Recipes for 2011

The title should most likely read healthier recipes. You’ve probably figured out by now that I don’t count calories, Weight Watcher points, carb grams or anything of the sort. And you won’t find a plethora of uber healthy recipes on this site since I’m so in love butter, sugar and chocolate. But I’m a firm believer in the notion of “everything in moderation”, so I do strive to eat mostly healthy meals so that I can indulge without guilt when I get a craving. Therefore I experiment and try new things and some of my favorites make it onto the blog. They’re usually not highlighted given the natural tendency of this site to hold sweets on a pedestal, but since it’s that time of year when folks like to make resolutions and start to eat healthier, I wanted to share some of my favorite healthier recipes with you. Enjoy! :)

Appetizers/Snacks

Yeast Breads

36. American Sandwich Bread
37. English Muffins
38. Hearty Whole Wheat Bread
39. Honey-Oatmeal Sandwich Bread
40. Pita Bread

What are some of your favorite healthy recipes?

31 Responses to “40 Healthy Recipes for 2011”

1. Justeen @ Blissful Baking on January 4, 2011 at 12:54 am

love this list of healthier recipes! one of my new year’s resolutions is to bake more “healthy” treats rather than goodies loaded with fat and sugar.

2. Blog is the New Black on January 4, 2011 at 5:19 am

Great way to get those resolutions started! ;) Starred this one.

3. Katrina on January 4, 2011 at 6:26 am

Lovely post! I’m HOPING to be healthier this year…let’s see how it goes!

4. Lynn Brown on January 4, 2011 at 7:50 am

You are too funny! Sound just like me! I am vowing to cook more vegetables this year! I just did a oriental cashew asparagus that I really like. Spaghetti tends to be one of my more “healthy” concotions at my house b/c I do homemade sauce and love veggies in the sauce like carrots, zucchini, and red peppers.

5. Lauren at KeepItSweet on January 4, 2011 at 7:51 am

perfectly timed post:-) i’ll definitely be saving some of those recipes!

6. Maggie on January 4, 2011 at 8:48 am

This is great! I love your site, but I typically only come here looking for decadent recipes – it’s nice to have quick links to some healthier stuff! I’ve never tried your version of panzanella, but I’m saving it for the summer!

7. SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen on January 4, 2011 at 10:16 am

These all look so great; I clicked on a whole bunch! Thanks for helping us start off the year on a good note.

8. Amy @ The Savvy Kitchen on January 4, 2011 at 10:34 am

Thanks for sharing all these great recipes! I’ve started a new cooking blog myself and would any feedback or comments you can give, so please be sure to check out The Savvy Kitchen at http://www.savvykitchen.blogspot.com. I look forward to continuing reading your blog in 2011!

9. Amanda on January 4, 2011 at 11:00 am

Those breads look delish! I have some new Christmas present cookbooks that need breaking in too… The list is growing :)
    What happened to Steel&Ice? I don’t see it on the ribbon at the top of the page?

• Michelle on January 4th, 2011 at 11:04 am

I’m rearranging :)

10. Scarletta @ Scarletta Bakes on January 4, 2011 at 11:12 am

I am vowing to cook with more vegetables this year, in addition to making more granola.

Thanks so much for this post and all the delicious recipes – very timely and helpful!

11. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on January 4, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I love the idea of starting the New Year on a healthy note! Thanks for sharing these wonderful recipes, Michelle. I’ll have to give a few of these dishes a try soon! I hope you had a very merry Christmas and a happy new year with your family. I can’t wait to see what’s next from you in the year ahead!

12. Belinda @zomppa on January 4, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I couldn’t agree with your philosophy more. So now I have to figure out how to make every single one of these recipes. Will keep me busy!

13. penandra on January 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Thanks for the great post, it’s fun to re-visit some of the recipes.

I make homemade granola alot (I’m not sure I can eat yogurt without homemade granola in it anymore!) and substitute unsweetened applesauce for the oil — but I had never thought of adding Grapenuts to it (and I’m always looking for stuff to add to my granola! ;-) . . . however, reading through the recipe, I’m not sure if you mix the Grapenuts with the oats and roast them in the oven, or mix them in with the dried fruit — I’ve read the recipe through a couple of times, what did I miss?

• Michelle on January 13th, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Sorry about that! Stir it in at the end with the dried fruit.

14. Becky on January 4, 2011 at 2:10 pm

We try to eat healthy most of the time, my husband had bypass surgery. We also try to use “M” word, as I call it, moderation. Not, easy, bu makes you add healthier items to you diet. We also have to watch the sodium, so we have to make everything from scratch, very challenging. Thanks for your list!

15. Brindusa on January 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I read some oh your healthy (er) recipes. The once from breads are simply amazing. Be sure that I will try them.

16. Kate @ Diethood.com on January 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I love all those choices! I will definitely be trying some of these – thank you for sharing!

17. Tina from PA on January 4, 2011 at 5:57 pm

O.K.I’m jumping on the try to eat healthier wagon,also! I’m doing it more for my husband than anything.( oh,trust me I can afford to lose a few,too) Thanks for a wonderful list for inspiration. By the way my niece and her hubby were at the Winter Classic in the PNC box I told her to look for you and tell you ,”Hey!” from me!LOL!

18. megan @ whatmegansmaking on January 4, 2011 at 6:00 pm

great idea to combine all these recipes in one place! I’m very excited to try the polenta pizza! Hadn’t seen that one before!

19. Rhondi on January 4, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I bookmarked this post. There are several recipes I want to try. I tagged you on my blog: http://bigmamashomekitchen.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-weekday-morning-routineand-ive-been.html
    Have a great day! Rhondi

20. Cucee Sprouts on January 4, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Great collection! I can add another healthy soup recipe to the collection; it is from a Beautiful Bowl of Soup book that I own http://cuceesprouts.com/2011/01/jalapeno-corn-chowder/

21. Joy on January 4, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I love the bread recipes.

22. Jen Moore on January 4, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I just made a Clementine-Date Cake that was in the latest Cooking Light magazine, and amazed with the results. It was something sweet yet not too sweet and a nice citrus flavor…what started out as something I was just going to try once might become something I do to finish off a healthy dinner with company over.

23. Hester aka The Chefdoc on January 5, 2011 at 2:22 am

Aw, yes, healthier recipes they are indeed. Thank you so much for sharing these with us. On the last day of class, my nutrition teacher said, “If you remember one thing at all out of everything we’ve learned this quarter remember this–CALORIES IN, CALORIES OUT. It’s all about how much you take in versus how much you expend.”

24. Peggy on January 7, 2011 at 9:11 am

I’m definitely not a calorie counter, either! I love all of your recipes! Whether healthier or not!

25. Daktari on January 7, 2011 at 11:06 am

I’m sorry, but I have to beg to differ on the “healthy” popcorn recipe. Popcorn popped in oil and slathered in butter and salt is not healthy. Delicious, yes. Healthy, no.

• Michelle on January 7th, 2011 at 11:17 am

Well, as I said, these are healthier alternatives. And I think that homemade popcorn, even if you add butter and salt, is a better alternative that microwave popcorn given the concern over carcinogens and all of the additives and flavorings that are usually included.

26. healthy recipe on January 10, 2011 at 12:12 am

Yummy, i have no words to say. thanks for the share. looking forward for your next post.

27. CaSaundra on January 10, 2011 at 11:27 am

I really enjoyed this post!! Makes eating healthy look even more delicious. Thanks for sharing :-)

28. Almira on April 23, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog! Good choice of recipes. Good photography. Everything is top-notch. Did I say I simply LOVE your blog!