Online Bake Sale: Win cookies from me and support a cause close to my heart

How would you like to receive some fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies from me this week?! Read on…

Fellow food blogger Stephanie, from Steph’s Bite by Bite, has signed up to run the San Diego Rock n’ Roll Marathon as a part of the Team In Training program through The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The Team In Training program provides participants with training and support, and in exchange participants raise money for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society to aid continuing research in the area of blood cancers and to support families who are affected by the diseases.

As a fundraising activity, Stephanie has rounded up a ton of great food bloggers for an online bake sale, auction style. Today, and today only, you can head on over to her site and bid on a baked good that you would like to receive from a food blogger. I always try to help The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society whenever I get the opportunity, as my dad passed away due to a form of leukemia 12 years ago at the age of 45 (more on that below). I am offering up a dozen of my Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies to the lucky winning bidder. They are by far my favorite cookie, and I have not made another chocolate chip cookie recipe since first making these almost three years ago. That should speak for itself!

To bid on these cookies, head on over to the auction site. The sale will close at 9pm EST this evening.

Continue reading to hear about how leukemia has affected my family…

Back in the fall of my senior year of high school (1998) my dad went for routine bloodwork to get his cholesterol checked and the doctor called a few days later and said he needed to go over the results with him. There were irregularities. After some follow-up testing, my dad had his diagnosis: chronic lymphocytic leukemia. My dad was in great shape – woke up early each morning and walked a few miles on the treadmill, had boundless energy and I can’t ever remember him being sick, ever. None of the doctors seemed overly concerned, said they caught it early, and “if you have to have cancer, this is the one to get.” (What a phrase, eh?) The plan was to monitor his bloodwork and eventually they might need to start treatments, but they thought that would be years away.

Things didn’t necessarily go according to plan. Bloodwork found that the disease was progressing quickly and soon my dad began chemo. Through all of his treatments, he still never really got sick, never missed a day of work. But still, the leukemia continued to progress. The doctors said my dad would need a bone marrow transplant. Neither of his brothers were a match, so after a failed attempt to use his own (cleansed) marrow, he went on a donor list. A match was found and he and my mom flew to Boston where he was to have the procedure done.

The transplant was a success and my dad flew through his recovery. He was discharged from the hospital 6 weeks later and he and my mom had to stay in the area for a couple of days so he could have some final doctor’s appointments. The day before they were to come back home my dad woke up with a high fever and was readmitted to the hospital. His body had started to reject the new marrow and numerous complications arose. After a couple of weeks things were looking like they might be headed in the right direction when it was discovered that my dad had a serious lung infection, most likely a result of his brand-new (and not yet super strong) immune system. He fought and fought, but in the end, did not win the battle. I was 19 and a freshman in college, my sister was 16 and a junior in high school, and life changed forever.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society was very instrumental for my mom during the time she spent in Boston. They helped her with flights, helped her find a place to stay while my dad was in the hospital, and directed her and us to countless resources to help with seemingly everything and anything you could imagine that would need tended to. They are a wonderful organization and I always jump at the opportunity to give back for the support they provided my family during a very difficult time.

So, if you would like to receive some homemade cookies from me and support a great cause that means so much to me, head on over to the auction and bid on my cookies! Or any other baked good that tickles your fancy :)

Thank you everyone for your support!

UPDATE: The auction has closed and it raised over $1,700 for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society! A great success! Thank you to everyone who took part!

13 Responses to “Online Bake Sale: Win cookies from me and support a cause close to my heart”

1. Beth on January 31, 2011 at 10:46 am

Dave was the best, and I still think about him often…I, too, donate to the society every chance I get and even started a volunteer effort with my department at work to help set up for the light the night walk every year, in memory of such a great man. xoxo

2. Tina from PA on January 31, 2011 at 10:57 am

I too have a family member that has Lymphoma ,my sister has been fighting it for about 6 years now . She also doesn’t look sick ,worked through chemo,she is amazing! She lives in Allison Park Pa ,her husband died 71/2 years ago ,and guess what? She has a “MAN FRIEND” she just started dating a few months ago, I’m so happy for her ! I’m headed over to the auction! Thank You for sharing your story and support!

3. Becky on January 31, 2011 at 1:23 pm

My Mom had Multiple Myeloma, and my brother has a rare “chronic” form of Leukemia and is currently in remission. when I saw that your Dad had a “chronic form of Leukemia, I stopped for a moment. My brother gas been diagnosed for 6 yrs., so I’ll keep my fingers crossed, and head on over to the auctions

4. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on January 31, 2011 at 1:26 pm

What a wonderful cookie for a wonderful cause. I’m so sorry to hear about your loss at a young age, but I can sympathize. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is also very close to my heart, as I lost my dad to lymphoma at age 17. Thank you for shining a light on a very important cause and contributing these delicious looking cookies. Going to check out the auction now…

5. carri on January 31, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. our friend’s little girl is battling it right now. life is so crappy sometimes.

6. Lauren at KeepItSweet on January 31, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Thanks for sharing that story about your dad. I know too many people who have been diagnosed with lymphoma, some turned out ok and some not as much. So happy that your dad survived the experience.

7. Courtney on January 31, 2011 at 1:52 pm

thank you for sharing your story. i am sorry for your loss, your father sounds like a good man and a great inspiration for you. I think its great you are supporting a cause that you are passionate about.

8. Jen on January 31, 2011 at 3:31 pm

So sorry about your dad! I joined the donor registry 14 years ago. 2 years ago I was asked to do further testing for a little boy but his transplant was canceled. I hope I am called again someday!

9. Steph@stephsbitebybite on January 31, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I know when I had first emailed you, you had told me a little about your connection to the LLS, but now reading your story I can see how much this society means to you and the many others out there. It makes me even prouder to know that I am one small person helping to fight against such a big huge disease.

Thank you so much for being a part of the great bake sale. I think your dad (even thogh I don’t know him) would be very proud :)

10. Cookin' Canuck on January 31, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Michelle, I did not know about your dad and am so sorry for your loss. He would be very, very proud of everything you have accomplished. I will certainly spread the word about this bake sale.

11. LaDonna on January 31, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your father. You are correct – the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is great. I have referred to them multiple times in the last 5 years. I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in 12/05 and had chemo in in ’06 & again in ’07. I had a bone-marrow transplant in ’08. This is a terrific organization & I am sure they appreciate all you do.

12. Ang on February 1, 2011 at 8:14 am

Michelle… I promised myself I wouldn’t cry while I was reading this post, but I lied…. Your dad was an amazing man. I have so many great memories of him that make me smile from ear to ear when I think of them… What you’re doing here with this online bakesale is such an example of how his generosity and kindness live on in you. I’m sure you don’t need me to tell you this, but I am certain that he is so very proud of the woman you’ve become.

13. Peggy on February 1, 2011 at 8:55 am

This is definitely a great cause and thank you for sharing your story with us! It looks like the bake sale was a great success (although I was outbid, but that’s okay!)