Pocket Rockers – The Original iPod

I am a child of the ’80s. I had a banana hair clip. I wore layered, neon-colored socks. I wore jelly shoes. I had a Gameboy. I loved the show “You Can’t Do That on Television”. Later, I would peg my jeans*.

And I owned a Pocket Rocker. Which, to me, was just about the coolest thing ever. You could listen to your favorite songs over and over, on a little portable player. I haven’t thought about those things in years, but I was in the car today listening to 80′s on 8 on XM and the song “Dance Like an Egyptian” came on. And the first thing that popped into my head was the Pocket Rocker – The Bangles tape was one of my favorites (it had Walk Like an Egyptian and Manic Monday)! Amazing how a song can bring back such specific memories from so long ago! And then I started remembering all of the songs I had that I loved…

Bon Jovi – “Livin’ on a Prayer”
Belinda Carlisle – “Heaven is a Place on Earth”
Jan Hammer & Glenn Frey – “The Miami Vice Theme” & “The Heat is On”
Huey Lewis & the News – “Doing It All For My Baby” & “The Power of Love” (it helped that I also loved Back to the Future)

I think Fisher-Price had a step on Apple for a brief moment.

Did you have a Pocket Rocker? Do you remember your favorite songs?

*A guy my boyfriend works with is in his early to mid-20′s and had never heard of pegging jeans and had no idea what it meant. Wow, did I feel old!

16 Responses to “Pocket Rockers – The Original iPod”

1. Bobbi on April 12, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Yes I had all of those things too except the pocket rocker, always wanted one. And we didn’t call it pegging our jeans but we called it tightrolling them. Ahh I miss the 80′s. I wonder if my parents rolled their eyes at You can’t do that on Television the way I roll my eyes at the shows my kids watch :)

I love your blog! I have been reading it for awhile now and you are the first place I go to check out recipies, I have tried so many of your recipies and they always turn out amazing! Thanks for sharing your amazing recipies with us! and thanks for taking me down memory lane :)

2. Glenn Ferrell on April 12, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Well, if you want to feel younger, I was way too old for pocket rockers. I was 16 when they came out! My early music memories involve 8-tracks and AM radio. :-)

And by “pegging” do you mean “tight-rolling” the jeans? If so, I definitely remember that. I’m STILL not used to the jeans flopping on the back of my leg… and I haven’t right-rolled my jeans since about 1991.

3. Maureen on April 13, 2011 at 9:00 am

Loved the pocket rocker! Except that we only had two “tapes” – Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” and Tifany’s “I Think We’re Alone Now”. Every time I hear those songs, I remember thinking how cool we were with our pegged jeans, pocket rockers, and t-shirt clips :)

• Michelle on April 13th, 2011 at 11:16 am

Ahh I totally forgot about t-shirt clips! Those were sooooo cool ;-)

4. Erin on April 13, 2011 at 11:13 am

While I think I was a little younger in the 80s (not of age to rock a Pocket Rocker), I lovingly remember all of these things :D Every time I hear any song from that Bangles album, it makes me want to dance around my living room like the little kid I once was. Happy memories :)

5. Black Martha on April 14, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I love this post! I had a pocket rocker! I jammed to my Jets and The New Kids On the Block tapes. Their songs had me dancin’ in my L.A. Gears all the time!

6. Brandy on May 19, 2011 at 12:13 am

I actually still have my pocket rocker. I showed it to my kids not too long ago,they were not impressed.

• shannon on October 17th, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I’m trying to buy one soooo cool you still have yours

7. Brienne on June 3, 2011 at 7:30 am

TOO FUNNY! We must be about the same age…I had the same pocket rocker I think and my three tapes that I remember were the same Belinda Carlisle & Bangles you had and the Tiffany one.

8. Katie @ NYCitified on June 14, 2011 at 2:00 am

Yes! A million times, yes, I totally had a Pocket Rocker and it was totally rad. I remember the sound quality being about equal to a cellphone speaker (which I know because I live in NY and have endured numerous subway riders trying to use their Blackberry’s as makeshift boomboxes). Actually my fiance and I were just recently talking about our pocket rockers and how his favorites were Hall & Oates and “Eye of the Tiger.” Awesomeness.

9. Alea on July 24, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I still have mine! I had Huey Lewis, Bon Jovi, Tiffany, Debbie Gibson and New Kids on the block!

10. Stephanie on August 8, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Ahhh yesss Pocket Rockers!!! I was just talking about pocket rockers to my boyfriend the other day. Oh how I miss the 80′s sooo much!! I had Whitney Houston “I Wanna Dance with Somebody”, Tears for Fears “Shout” and “Everbody Wants to Rule the World”, Tiffany, Bengals, New Kids, Debbie Gibson and a bunch others. ‘Shout’ and ‘Everbody Wants To Rule the World’ are still two of my favorite songs til this day…..I luv it!!!!

11. Stephanie on August 8, 2011 at 10:27 pm

cont. from previous post:

wait…..I’m thinking back and I don’t think New Kids on the Block were on Pocket Rockers. I did have their album though :-)

12. Megan Brown on August 23, 2011 at 11:42 pm

AHHHHHH! You just took me back to the 80′s! What a glorious time. Hypercolor. Good Saturday morning cartoons. Perms. I loved my pocket rocket!!!

13. shannon on October 17, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Ooo were can I buy one I’ve looked and looked gotta have sompeople who still have em my 6 yr old would love love one

14. Laura Malartsik on June 25, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I found my pocket rocker from when I was a kid and just gave it to my daughter. She loves it! The cassette doesn’t work. Does anybody have the “Walk like and Egyptian/Manic Monday” cassette I could buy from you? My daughter was an 80′s girl for Halloween and this was one of her favorite things. Please if anyone could help I would really appreciate it. Thank you.