The Weekend Dish: 4/23/2011

Happy Saturday once again! It’s Easter weekend, which, for me, sort of signifies the beginning of the “light and refreshing” food season. Lots of fresh berries, flavors like lemon, and things like angel food cake instead of heavy tortes. Not that heavy cakes don’t have their place, do they ever! But once spring and summer rolls around it feels good to lighten up a bit and enjoy the bounty of local fresh produce. What do you all have planned for the holiday weekend? Any Easter egg hunts or breakfasts with the bunny? It’s pouring in my neck of the woods, so hopefully April showers bring May flowers!

Now as always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy! :)

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

Best Ever Potato Salad – Handed down from a friend’s grandmother, and the last potato salad recipe you will ever need!

Deviled Eggs – An Easter classic!

Scalloped Potatoes – A homemade recipe that knocks the socks off any boxed version.

Broccoli Salad – One of my grandma’s standby recipes and one of my most favorite.

Hot Cross Buns – An old English Easter tradition – sweet, spiced rolls with dried fruit and an icing cross.

Most Viewed Post This Week: Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too:

Frozen Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pie (Tracey’s Culinary Adventures)
The peanut butter and chocolate lover in me cannot resist this. Also, this is the second pie in as many weeks I’ve salivated over from Martha Stewart’s new book, Pies and Tarts. I think I need to grab a copy!

Frozen Hot Chocolate (Kitchen Karate)
It must be time for summer, I’m being drawn to “frozen” recipes this week! I have heard of the frozen hot chocolate served at Serendipity in NYC, and have always wanted to try a homemade version – this looks perfect!

S’mores Cake in a Jar (How Sweet It Is)
Holy genius. Seriously. I want this now. For breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Strawberry Butterfly Ice Cream Sandwiches (Living Sugar Free)
I have always wanted to make a homemade version of those classic ice cream sandwiches. This looks like the perfect recipe, and you can experiment with different shapes and your favorite ice cream flavors!

Tim Tam Cake (raspberri cupcakes)
I have never had a tim tam cookie, but this cake looks outstanding – so much chocolate!

Have a delicious weekend, and for those of you celebrating, a wonderful Easter!

8 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 4/23/2011”

1. Nisrine M. on April 23, 2011 at 2:33 am

Yes, there is so much to get excited about this season. I love spring and its produce.

2. Katrina on April 23, 2011 at 3:01 am

I bookmarked many of the same recipes this week! And your scalloped potatoes and potato salad of course :)

3. Gwenevere on April 23, 2011 at 7:19 am

In reading your post it made me think how funny we are….in winter we eat heavy rich food and in summer light and better for you, but winter is when it’s hard to get out and exercise and summer, we are out and about all the time. I guess it has more to do with the food available during the season rather than what we have the ability to exercise off. Well lets raise a glass of cucumbered water to the idea of working off any winters stored calories!

4. Jessica @ How Sweet It Is on April 23, 2011 at 8:21 am

Thanks so much for sharing my s’mores cakes! :)

5. Jordan @ Kitchen Karate on April 23, 2011 at 9:23 am

Thank you for sharing my Frozen Hot Chocolate post! :)

6. Tracey on April 23, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I’m with you, bring on the fresh spring/summer produce! I can’t wait. Settling in here to watch the Pens game and then my Bruins later. Looks like there’s a chance we could meet in the next round!

Thanks for sharing my pie :)

7. Barbara | VinoLuciStyle on April 23, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Had to check out the Tim Tam cake…my daughter brought a package of Tim Tams home from a trip to Australia on a college choir tour and they are REALLY good. Pepperidge Farm has Tim Tam cookies for a period of time each year but they are not quite the same. That cake is fabulous and I know what I’m making for Emily’s next birthday…thanks for sharing it here.

8. Aimee on April 24, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I LOVE Tim Tam cookies. Cake would be great :)