I’m in a Food Coma

More specifically, the type of carbs and sweets coma that only a holiday can sufficiently provide. It’s possible that I may have OD’ed on dinner rolls, potatoes and multiple rounds of dessert yesterday. Oops. Not only that, but getting holiday food out and sitting down to eat didn’t afford me the opportunity to take pretty pictures of all the dishes. Oops again.

Since I’m sluggish today I thought we could play a little game of “What was the best thing you ate over the holiday weekend (whether that included an Easter celebration or not)”?

Me: Broccoli salad, dinner rolls with butter, strawberry pretzel squares, and two pieces of the Oakmonter from the Oakmont Bakery (oops a third time).

You??

Since I did whip the camera out for some post-dinner photos, I thought I’d share a couple…

My cousin’s mastiff that he brought to dinner (his 1st birthday was yesterday! Happy Birthday Marcello!):

And here’s my grandma and her sister (they are 91 and 79, respectively):

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

34 Responses to “I’m in a Food Coma”

1. Katrina on April 25, 2011 at 1:09 am

I’m also in a food coma. Momma Mia!

2. Gwenevere on April 25, 2011 at 5:57 am

I wish I was in a food coma…but this week I go to the dr. to find out if we dare start adding food back into my diet, we’ll see. But of all the food I DIDN”T eat this weekend, the food I miss the most would have been….the dinner rolls.

3. Penny Wolf on April 25, 2011 at 6:36 am

It was just my husband and I for Easter dinner this year and we may have started a new tradition. I made ham loaf with a pineapple glaze that was off of the charts good!

4. Marie @ Chocolate & Wine on April 25, 2011 at 8:05 am

I too am in a food coma. If I didn’t have work today, I think I could’ve slept all day. The best things I had: sauted mushrooms, (my) red velvet cupcakes with buttercream frosting and my boyfriend’s mom’s Italian cookies. Commence 2 week detox program.

xo – Marie
    Chocolate & Wine

5. Claire @ Live and Love to Eat on April 25, 2011 at 9:17 am

My food coma is now a food hangover.

And nothing from the Oakmont bakery should ever be refused for any reason.

6. christyd on April 25, 2011 at 9:38 am

My great grandmother’s German rye bread! It was wonderful.

7. Lauren at Keep It Sweet on April 25, 2011 at 9:55 am

I think that the rules are that you must finish any holiday in a food choma, it is only right.

8. jaclyn@lifeoftodayslady on April 25, 2011 at 10:13 am

You’re not alone with your food coma! I’m definitely there with you on that one! It was worth it though. Especially for the yummy roasted roots vegetables, crown and ginger (yes I love this drink), and apple crisp with custard and butter pecan ice cream. Hmmm despite my food coma, I just made myself want some more dessert….. weird how that can happen.

9. Robyn {Planet Byn} on April 25, 2011 at 10:18 am

i had a weekend full of good eats, the best was my mom’s easter feast yesterday – turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes – and my butterscotch cream pie for dessert!

10. Grace on April 25, 2011 at 10:35 am

I was alone this weekend and just not in the mood for Easter food, so I made 25 lbs. of Italian meatballs and a huge pot of spaghetti sauce from my grandmother’s recipe. Talk about a food coma! I love to make big batches of food so I have something real that is ready in the freezer for easy weeknight meals.

11. Maria63303 on April 25, 2011 at 11:02 am

There were so many good things yesterday to eat but I will admit to having extra crescent rolls, a 2nd helping of my sister’s mother in laws scalloped potatoes and a huge piece of the strawberry triple layer cake she bought at The Blue Owl in Kimswick, MO……surprisingly I’m not in much of a coma….lol

12. Maris (In Good taste) on April 25, 2011 at 11:30 am

I am intrigued by strawberry pretzel squares. What a face on that puppy!

13. Jen of My Tiny Oven on April 25, 2011 at 11:55 am

The best thing I ate this weekend was a huge pile of Reese’s eggs and the Lemon Cheesecake I made for desert last night!

14. Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on April 25, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I hear ya on the food coma! We enjoyed two great desserts this weekend – carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting that I made and my grandma’s strawberry pie. Her pie crust is seriously the best I’ve ever had. Love family time & delicious food! Oh, and my grandma’s rolls and my mom’s mac n’ cheese were my other two favorite parts of the meal. :)

15. annie on April 25, 2011 at 12:05 pm

No Easter would be complete if it didn’t have lamb roast with potatoes and vegetables, ricotta pie, and other incredible goodies. The vino helped everything go down smoothly. What a lovely picture of your nonna and great aunt. And that dog is HUGE, but adorable.

16. Melissa on April 25, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I had completely forgotten about the Oakmonter since moving from Pitt. Oh yum!!!

17. Jen at The Three Little Piglets on April 25, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I’m only in a sugar coma from eating too many Cadbury Cream Eggs. They’re SOOO good though…

18. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel on April 25, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Thankfully no food coma here BUT my fav thing yesterday had to have been the mac n cheese. I know… strange perhaps but it was so good. Then it’d be a toss up between the caesar salad and the turkey.

19. Mollie on April 25, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I’m in a food coma from the Funfetti Cakeballs I made yesterday – luckily I brought them to work to share today! Yum!

20. Nancy B on April 25, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I’m in a Cadbury Egg coma… I tried to “improve” your deviled egg recipe and still ended up with a “melting” mess… I figured it was a good way to start my National Egg Salad Week of posts :-)

21. Janet on April 25, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Thats what wrong with me! :)

22. Colleen on April 25, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I’m in a food coma from making your Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake! It was a-MAZING. I’d never made cheesecake before but now I’m getting a lot of requests. Thanks for the recipe!

23. Aimee on April 25, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I hear ya! Too many pieces of candy out of my kids Easter baskets, and my Dad’s Bread Pudding! Now, time to go do some P90X, haha!!
    By the way, LOVE your site!

24. leslie on April 25, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Food coma?? I am in a candy coma!!

25. Tracy on April 25, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I had way too much homemade garlic bread. And then way too much sour cream coffee cake. ;-)

26. Cookin' Canuck on April 25, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Yes, we were in a major food coma after brunch at our friends’ house. It sounds as though you had a wonderful day!

27. Robin O. on April 25, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Grazing on leftovers today. The best things I made (and ate) this weekend has got to be the Blue Cheese, Bacon, and Chipotle Scalloped Potatoes, the made from scratch Dinner Rolls, and last but not least, Lemon Meringue Pie!!!! MMmmm. I made some other good things as well but those three are my top fav’s. There was one piece of that pie left last night (and it is my favorite pie, that I rarely make) and while my back was turned my husband gave it to a relative that stopped by…… let me repeat …HE GAVE MY PIECE OF PIE TO THEM!!!! I am still not talking to him. Jeez!

28. Sandra on April 25, 2011 at 9:16 pm

For sure I’m in a food coma. From my hubby’s out of this world bbq ribs and my Pink Velvet Champagne Cheesecake, and your Broccoli Salad. It was awesome, thanks for the recipe!

29. Lori @ Girl Meets Oven on April 25, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Your scalloped potatoes were a big hit at our house. My husband loved them so much he kept hoarding them, and the rest of us had to keep reminding him to pass them around the table. :)

30. Maria on April 26, 2011 at 10:37 am

Glad you had a nice Easter with lots of tasty food!

31. Amanda V on April 26, 2011 at 7:40 pm

My friend’s mom’s Indian food, I forget what it is called, but so good :)
    Close second was my cheesecake for Easter.. lol

32. Gayle on April 27, 2011 at 1:46 am

Food coma here too! Feel like I’m going to burst and still picking on the Easter sweets, Neopolitan Easter Wheat Pie, Black Forest Cake and of course Jelly Beans. I should’ve just stuck twith the honey ginger glazed ham, ove roasted asparagus and an amazing dish of fresh mozzerella cheese , topped with mint pesto, sliced strawberrier and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Delicious!

33. Nuts about Food on April 28, 2011 at 10:21 am

We stayed on a farm in the mountains. Needless to say everything was amazing, starting from the freshly churned butter for our breakfast rolls. Another delicious thing were the fried, spinach stuffed fritters that were served alongside a wonderful barley soup (see post), to be dunked directly into the soup. And so much more…

34. redraven on April 30, 2011 at 6:44 am

O MY CUPCAKES!!!

I had a Mastiff long ago, Duchess was her name, and your grandma, and her sister look gr8, must be all of your healing food. Thanks for sharing this with us, love your site. I live on Oakmont Drive. I went to site of the bakery, and I wish I was there, here in Flagstaff, Az, not any such as this wonderment.
    blessings,