{book} Food Matters by Mark Bittman: Readalong?

One of my goals for this year is to read at least one book a month, and in an effort to do so I have been selecting books at random from the list of 100 that I created (last month I read Freedom by Jonathan Franzen). This month the random generator popped out Food Matters by Mark Bittman, which I have been looking forward to reading ever since I watched Food Inc. back in December.

While I posted this selection over on Unplugged, I thought that the majority of BEB readers may be interested in it, and some of you may have even read it already. If you would like to pick it up and take a read (it’s actually a rather short read, as a decent portion of the book is dedicated to recipes), I invite everyone to read it along with me.

The book touches on some hot food topics at the moment – government involvement with agriculture business, the impact of farming on the environment, the impact of the current U.S. diet on our health, etc. – and I think we could get a great discussion going.

If you’re interested in reading it, pick up a copy, and then share your thoughts in the comments section! If you’ve already read it, please feel free to get the discussion going! Look forward to chatting about the book with everyone!

17 Responses to “{book} Food Matters by Mark Bittman: Readalong?”

1. Gwenevere on May 4, 2011 at 8:10 am

Don’t cookbooks count?

• Michelle on May 4th, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Not towards my monthly reading goal ;-)

2. Jennifer @ Raisin Questions on May 4, 2011 at 9:32 am

Great book choice! I just had his Food Matters cookbook out from the library, and I got a great introduction to his philosophy there. I am going to try to find the full book now.

3. Kristin on May 4, 2011 at 9:54 am

I just read Bittman’s book about a month ago because I love reading his op-eds. It was a decent discussion of the importance of eating real food. But it says essentially the same thing as Michael Pollan’s In Defense of Food, and I think Pollan’s book is much better. He goes into much more detail than Bittman and his writing is just amazing (Bittman’s writing is good, but not in the same class as Pollan’s). Bittman does bring in a more personal touch, because his changes in diet have really improved his health – my dad has some of the same health issues, so I copied a chapter of Bittman’s book and sent it to him to read, because it gets to the point more quickly. I wasn’t sure he’d have the patience to read any of Pollan.

I have my own reading list, with reviews of the books I’ve read, on my blog! http://pursuitofvegetables.blogspot.com/p/reading-list.html

4. jen @ the baked life on May 4, 2011 at 10:55 am

I read food inc and was very intrigued. Living in Canada, our food system is similar but some thing are very different, like poultry and dairy regulations are very, very different.

This book looks excellent, I’ve never seen it before but I think I need to read it.

Thanks for Sharing :)

• Jamie-Lee on June 3rd, 2011 at 11:30 am

I’ve lived in Canada my whole life until about a month ago when I moved to the Republic of Panama for the summer. I must say, I do miss Canada because I do notice a difference between our hormone free chicken and the monster-sized chickens they have here. One chicken breast here is about the equivalent of 2-3 Canadian chicken breasts. It worries me.

5. Rob G on May 4, 2011 at 11:50 am

I enjoyed reading Food Matters and, like Kristin, I thought it was an easier reading version of Pollan’s In Defense of Food. And while I probably enjoyed reading the more in depth work by Pollan I do tend to recommend Bittman’s book to others first, thinking they might be able to get into it a little more easily. I’ll be very interested in hearing what you think of it Michelle!

6. JenniferA on May 4, 2011 at 11:53 am

I read this awhile back and I still refer to it and the recipes regularly. I found it more accesible than Pollan – Pollan tells us what the problems are but Bittman gives us everyday tools for a solution. I like his “vegan until 6 PM” concept although I struggled to do the same.

7. Tracy on May 4, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I am in… my husband and I have watched the documentary on Food Inc and Food Matters. I will look for the book on Amazon. Also, look into the Gerson Therapy Diet, very interesting.
    T

8. Katrina on May 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I’ve wanted to read this book for a while. Great review :)

9. Mary on May 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Great book, I just found you from Foodbuzz, love your blog.
    Mary

10. Anita F Benton on May 4, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I also made a committment to read 12 books this year. Food Matters is also my book of choice for the month of may. I’ll let you know my thoughs when I’ve completed reading it.

11. Lauren on May 5, 2011 at 9:45 am

I’m in! I have my copy already, and will be starting it very soon!

12. Kimberly on May 20, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I’ve been researching this topic for a few months now. The kids have watched the movie and we’re having discussions every night about the choices I made for dinner and how we are trying to make a change. We transplanted our zucchini and tomatoes to larger pots yesterday for planting in a couple of weeks! Have you checked out the companion cookbook? I was reading your blog today and the ads on the side was for Tyson chicken. “Eating right, a promise you’ll keep.” is the slogan on the package of precooked chicken strips in a bag. Good thing we know better!

• Michelle on May 20th, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Hi Kimberly, I love that you discuss your dinner choices with your children, what a wonderful way to learn about healthful food choices! I haven’t purchases the Food Matters cookbook yet, but it is on my (long) list of cookbooks I want to buy!

13. Barbara on May 23, 2011 at 1:07 pm

So I’m the negative Nelly. I really tried to read this book but its information I already know. I am not sure why I love that more people are exploring real food and local food, but all the recent books on the subject bother me. Maybe bug is the wrong word, they definitely bore me. I’m sure the fact that I’m a vegetarian might have something to do with it. I already know meat industry is messed up, and don’t need to read a book about it. On the positive side I did like that there were recipes. I look forward to future read-a-longs, perhaps I’ll stick to the fictional books. =)

• Michelle on May 23rd, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Hi Barbara, I think a big issue is that the vast majority of those in the U.S. are not aware of what goes on in the meat industry, or how the government is so entwined with the agriculture industry. I think anytime more people are informed, the better!