Ears, Books & Ginger Ale

The bulk of my week so far has consisted of the following:

- My ears being poked and proded at the doctor’s…

- Multiple trips to the pharmacy…

- Antibiotics, ear drops and sprays…

- And a depleted appetite (to put it mildly).

What has my week not included? Any time in the kitchen. {sad face}

But I’ve been putting the non-kitchen time to good use and have totally engrossed myself in Plate to Pixel – a wonderful book on food photography written by the fabulous Helene from Tartelette. I am on the 5th chapter and am already gathering a wealth of information that I can’t wait to put into practice. Some tidbits I have heard here and there, but what a wonderful and concise book with all of the information in one place! If you are a blogger or interested in food photography, I highly recommend it!

I’m also about to pick up Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. Have any of you read it? Thoughts?

Now, back to my mint ginger ale (Tom Tucker shout out for all you Pittsburghers!)…

28 Responses to “Ears, Books & Ginger Ale”

1. SAB on May 19, 2011 at 4:19 am

That book is good! A little sad, but good. The middle is bitter and the end is sweet, like the title says…hehe! Check out Goodreads.com too for other reader reviews!

2. Paula on May 19, 2011 at 4:44 am

Sorry to hear you are sick. :( Lame way to spend a week. :( I’m motivated by your post to buy this book since it’s not available at my local library. I don’t often buy books, so I hope it’s amazing! :) I need all the inspiration I can get. :)

3. Rosanne on May 19, 2011 at 4:46 am

Loved the book, it’s a nice and relaxing read…a curl up on the couch kind of read. Hope you feel better.

4. Apron Appeal on May 19, 2011 at 5:05 am

Still blogging when you are sick…when I’m sick, It just takes me down! I have this book on reserve at the library…but mostly styling books just make me wish I had a better camera. It’s good to want things. :)

5. laine on May 19, 2011 at 6:46 am

Great book. Quick read. Hope you feel better soon!

6. Vanessa on May 19, 2011 at 7:07 am

I just bought that book! Can’t wait to dive head first into it! Feel better!

7. Kelly @ Kell's Kitchen on May 19, 2011 at 7:21 am

Could definitely use a copy of Plate to Pixel; taking pics of food is so difficult (and very time-consuming and sometimes even a little frustrating?!). Don’t know the Jamie Ford book.
    Hope you feel better soon!

8. linda on May 19, 2011 at 8:04 am

hope you feel better very soon…so we can “play” with you in your kitchen!
    ginger ale does it for me also…when i am sick.
    i so enjoyed “the hotel on the corner of bitter & sweet” … good read!

9. Terri A. on May 19, 2011 at 8:58 am

Sorry you’re not feeling well – will have to look into the food photography book – my pictures are less than stellar. Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet is great!

10. Amber @ Caleigh's Kitchen on May 19, 2011 at 9:14 am

I just bougt that book last week, should get it any day in the mail! Cannot wait to learn. I also bought the online digital photography class taught by Penny Robinson! Can’t wait to watch that too!
    Hope you get to feeling better soon!!

11. Tina From Pa on May 19, 2011 at 9:33 am

Hope you feel better real soon! Miss all the great posts . What a blast from the past ….Tom Tucker Mint ginger ale, my mom loved the stuff! Thank You for a great flash back moment!

12. Nicole Shugars on May 19, 2011 at 9:42 am

You are going to love the book — it is a wonderful story of friendship between young people especially given the time period of this piece. It is one of my favorite books. Have you read “The Help” or “A Reliable Wife”? Others I read about the same time as the one you are reading. Hope you are feeling better…

13. Tracey on May 19, 2011 at 9:52 am

That sounds miserable – I hope you’re feeling better soon! I’ve been meaning to pick up Plate to Pixel, thanks for the review.

14. Alice on May 19, 2011 at 10:44 am

That sounds like an awesome photography book. First I need a better camera!

I think you’ll like the fictional book – it was really interesting to read about that whole time period from the perspective of children and the story was touching. I enjoyed it a lot!

15. Paula on May 19, 2011 at 11:10 am

Hope you are back to normal soon.

16. Jen of My Tiny Oven on May 19, 2011 at 11:15 am

Sorry to hear about the ear! That is terrible! Thanks for sharing the book, I am totally going to get a copy this weekend!! I need all the help I can get!
    Feel better soon.

17. Linda on May 19, 2011 at 11:30 am

I loved Hotel On The Corner Of Bitter And Sweet. Especially since it’s set in Seattle where I live!

18. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on May 19, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I can’t wait to get a copy of Plate to Pixel… I am sure it’s wonderful!

Hope you’re feeling better soon!

19. MARY LYNN on May 19, 2011 at 12:16 pm

We still drink Tom Tucker Mint Ginger Ale….When we were sick, Mom always added a cherry..made us feel better. It can’t hurt! Hope you feel better soon.

20. Nicole on May 19, 2011 at 12:16 pm

LOVED that book! I am sure you will love it too! I am battling my own ear and allergy problems this week. I would just like to hear clearly again!

21. sherri lynn on May 19, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I have read that book. It was good. It didn’t make my list of all-time favorites, but I did enjoy reading it.

22. Lindsey on May 19, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I’ve been thinking of picking up Helene’s book (I’ve been a longtime admirer of her blog and styling). I also have read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, as I love a good historical fiction novel, and it was really good!

23. Tracy on May 19, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Aww, I’m sorry about your ears. I had an infection back in January and it was no fun at all. I hope you’re feeling better soon!!

24. Terri on May 20, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Mint Ginger Ale rocks!! It is the best thing when you don’t feel well. Hope you feel better soon as the sun my actually make an appearance in Pittsburgh over the weekend!

25. NanaBread on May 24, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Michelle,
    Thank you SO much for highlighting Helene’s “Plate to Pixel” book. I’ve been looking for something that would help me with food photography. It just arrived this afternoon, and I’m completely enthralled. Thanks for the recommendation!
    -Jeanne

26. Lori @ Girl Meets Oven on May 29, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Plate to Pixel book. I ordered a copy online last week and can’t wait for it to arrive. Hope you are feeling better soon.

• Michelle on May 31st, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Lori, I hope you enjoy the book. I think it’s fabulous!

27. Tammy L. on June 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm

After you read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, pick up Unbroken for a look at the other side of the war (POW’s in Japan). Unbroken is a true story….amazing