Grilled Corn

Of all the things that get thrown on the grill over the summer – hamburgers, hot dogs, brats, steaks, vegetables – one of the most underrated has to be corn on the cob. Nothing beats that slightly charred, smoky flavor with each juicy bite of corn. And the best part? It couldn’t be easier to do. Clean up the corn a bit, throw it on the grill to get a little charred, and then dig in. Season it with salt and pepper, butter (or an herb compound butter maybe?), mayo, whatever you fancy on your corn. Grilled corn on the cob is definitely one of summer’s simplest pleasures!

First, you need to take the husks off all the way down to the very last, itty-bitty layer. You should have one last thin silky piece of husk left on the corn, and it should be fairly transparent, so you can see the corn kernels through it:

Next, snip off the silky ends on each ear:

Now, get the grill ready! You’ll want medium-high heat for these. (An unexpected thunderstorm moved me indoors!)

Grill them, turning every 1 to 2 minutes until the husks are charred and pulling away from the corn.

Remove the corn to a platter, pull off the remaining husk and silk and get ready to dig in!

Then enjoy it however you’d like! Or, if you’re like me and can’t get enough homemade salsa, cut the kernels off of one ear…

And make yourself some black bean and corn nachos for lunch :)

Two years ago: Pizzelle (Italian Waffle Cookies)

Grilled Corn

Yield: 6 ears of corn

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

6 ears of corn, husks still attached

Directions:

1. Remove all but the innermost layer of the husk. The kernels should be covered by, but visible through, the innermost layer.

2. Use scissors to snip off the tassel (long silk ends), at the tip of the ear.

3. Grill the corn over a medium-hot fire, turning the ears every 1½ to 2 minutes, until the dark outlines of the kernels show through the husk and the husk is charred and beginning to peel away from the tip to expose some kernels, 8 to 10 minutes.

4. Transfer the corn to a platter. Carefully remove and discard the charred husk and silk. Season the corn with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with butter, if desired.

(Recipe adapted from Cook's Illustrated)

24 Responses to “Grilled Corn”

1. Katrina on June 9, 2011 at 12:29 am

Yum! Summer corn is the best!

2. Jen of My Tiny Oven on June 9, 2011 at 12:32 am

I kinda need a plate of those nacho’s right now! LOVE LOVE LOVE corn on the cob!

3. Kelly @ Kell's Kitchen on June 9, 2011 at 5:28 am

I love corn just with butter & salt, it’s so good!

4. sana on June 9, 2011 at 6:19 am

In India grilled corn is a very common street food.. they dip a large piece of lemon in a mix of salt and red chili powder and then rub the lemon on the grilled corn.. if you can take the heat it is amazing!!

• Penny Wolf on June 9th, 2011 at 6:34 am

That sounds really interesting and good. Have you ever tried it with lime?

5. Lauren at Keep It Sweet on June 9, 2011 at 6:52 am

I love grilled corn- the extra flavor you get from that cooking method is just so good!

6. Erin on June 9, 2011 at 9:50 am

I LOVE grilled corn on the cob wrapped in its husk still!

7. Emily Malloy @Cleanliness on June 9, 2011 at 10:29 am

Add chili powder and Parmesan cheese and I’m done for!

Great tips. Grilled corn is simply the best!

8. Tabitha (From Single to Married) on June 9, 2011 at 11:19 am

I have to admit that I’ve never had grilled corn but now I’m curious to try it…

9. Sheli on June 9, 2011 at 11:43 am

I love grilled corn. It’s a sure sign of summer in my house. But try grilling it without any husks. The corn actually get grill marks on it, and the char gives a wonderful flavor and look to the corn, even when you cut it from the cob to use in other things. I just brush it with olive oil or butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper and grill it.

10. Erin on June 9, 2011 at 11:59 am

Love my grilled corn with lime juice + seasoned salt + chili powder – SOOOOOOO good!!!

11. Jessica D. on June 9, 2011 at 11:59 am

Grilled corn is a summer staple at my house! My uncle grows corn, so I always have plenty around. If you get tired of the “normal” spices, try parmesan with a little pepper or garlic and butter. Both make excellent corn seasonings!

12. Farrah on June 9, 2011 at 12:30 pm

That looks good :) I usually soak mine in water for about an hour and let it steam in the husk on the grill and it comes out SO good! I love cooking corn on the cob on the grill!

13. Barbara on June 9, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I cannot remember the last time I used the stove for corn, I always grill it these days. I usually do what Farrah does, soak for 30 min and let it steam in the husks on a high heat charcoal fire. I then unwrap it and let it cook for like 30 seconds a side to get some charcoal marks. But first I fold down the husks and de-silk and then fold the husks back up.

14. Paula on June 9, 2011 at 1:03 pm

the corn looks good, but the salsa looks *great*! I want some of that today! :) I can’t wait until corn is really in season here. :) It’s going to be awesome to see just how much I can consume in a few short months. :)

15. leslie on June 9, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Ahhh yes…grilling corn is my favorite way to cook it!

16. Adam on June 9, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Grilled corn is beyond fantastic. I could eat it and eat it until I explode :). I usually wrap in foil, just easier. And for me as long as you have good corn it doesn’t need butter, salt, pepper or anything… I know, strange :).

17. RisaG on June 9, 2011 at 9:32 pm

We were having a thunderstorm during my cooking time tonight. I had already planned to make the Roasted Corn Salad from Pioneer Woman Cooks. When I looked at the recipe, it actually asked for grilling the vegetables. Since it was pouring out, and we were having a thunderstorm, I decided to make it indoors. I brushed the corn, red onion, and bell peppers with vegetable oil and sprinkled them with smoked sea salt. I put them on the cast iron grill and cooked them until browned all over. I let them cool and then took the kernels off the cobs, cut up the veggies, put it all in a bowl with some chopped cherry tomatoes and poured on the dressing and it was so good. Hubby and I loved it. I ate 2 servings. I think Grilling corn, in any form, is the best way to cook it.

The sugars are caramelized and really brings out the flavor of the corn. I love summer veggies!

18. teri@thefreshmancook on June 10, 2011 at 12:41 am

I love grilled corn, and I love homemade salsa even more. Thanks for a great post and I think I will be having grilled corn this weekend.

19. Felice on June 10, 2011 at 3:54 am

I can still vividly remember the first time I ever had corn on the cob. We had just moved to Toronto and were feeling very homesick, so we took a drive. There was a little street market and we saw a huge kettle with fresh corn in it. I don’t know if I have ever tried anything better than that first bite. Thanks for sending me down memory lane with your corn.

20. jess white on June 10, 2011 at 4:28 am

mm, i love what you did with the mexican twist. i cant wait till my first bbq of the season so i can have some corn on the cob. love your site!

21. madge @ vegetariancasserolequeen on June 10, 2011 at 7:41 am

My m.i.l. made some grilled corn several weeks ago while on vacation. She claimed she cooked them for 10 minutes, but they were pretty much raw. I wonder if she hadn’t used enough heat? It was a propane grill.

So it looks amazing and it sounds amazing, but I don’t own a grill! And the herb compound butter is calling my name…

22. Pretty. Good. Food. on June 12, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Yum! I’ve been crazy for corn these days. This looks perfect :)

23. Sunny on June 12, 2011 at 9:27 pm

http:pantrychef.wordpress.com
    Try making this to slather on freshly grilled corn:
    1 tbsp. mayo
    squeeze of lime juice
    dash of chili powder
    dash of cumin
    dash of salt
    Then sprinkle Parmesan over the slathered corn. It is to die for!!!