The Weekend Dish: 7/30/2011

Happy Saturday everyone! Today is not just any Saturday, but it’s National Cheesecake Day! I’m not sure who creates or assigns these foodie holidays, but they sure make a great excuse to enjoy some of my favorite treats. Most of you know that cheesecake is pretty much my favorite thing ever, so I have a nice collection of cheesecakes here on the site. If you’d like to celebrate the national holiday today, feel free to check out the cheesecake archives!

I hope you all had a great week! The highlight of mine was seeing U2 in concert for the very first time. They closed out their 360 tour on Tuesday night here in Pittsburgh. It was just as amazingly brilliant as I imagined it would be!

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy! :)

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

Top 10 List: Favorite Pie & Tart Recipes – My 10 favorite pie and tart recipes – perfect for summer!

Easy Homemade French Fries – My first attempt at frying, and I’m totally smitten with these homemade fries!

Oil and Vinegar Coleslaw – A great summer alternative to the classic mayonnaise-based coleslaw recipes.

Homemade Primanti Bros. Sandwich – A hometown favorite, it’s easy to make at home, as long as you have the right fries & coleslaw!

Buttermilk Doughnuts – My second attempt at frying, and I am pretty sure I’m addicted. These are fabulous!

Most Viewed Post This Week: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too:

Double Chocolate Mocha Crunch Cupcakes (Bakers Royale)
Holy moly, these are some seriously chocolate cupcakes, and I can’t wait to make them!

Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream (Diethood)
Not just any ice cream, but this peanut butter ice cream is layered between melted chocolate for molded “peanut butter cups”. Genius, and right up my alley!

Root Beer Float Cupcakes (Bakingdom)
Absolutely amazing root beer cupcakes, with root beer filling and topped with a vanilla swiss meringue buttercream. Drooling!

Root Beer Float Popsicles (Dine and Dish)
It’s quite possible I’ve already bookmarked root beer float popsicles for you before (I’m on a bit of a kick), but I absolutely love the story behind this particular recipe, heartwarming!

Six-Layer Dark Chocolate & Strawberry Buttercream Cake (Sweetapolita)
The cake is gorgeous! Such dark chocolate and bright pink frosting – maybe my next birthday cake?!

Have a delicious weekend!

18 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 7/30/2011”

1. Kristen on July 30, 2011 at 1:18 am

Oh perfect timing with the link to the cheesecake archives! I told my husband that I felt like baking something this weekend and he suggested cheesecake. I’m thinking an Oreo cheesecake.

2. Lauren at Keep It Sweet on July 30, 2011 at 7:05 am

Happy weekend! National Cheesecake Day sounds like a pretty good day to me:-)

3. Nisrine on July 30, 2011 at 7:52 am

I have to say I love homemade fries. They taste amazing and you did such a wonderful job with these.

4. linda on July 30, 2011 at 7:57 am

happy NCD! your cheesecakes are the BEST!

5. Kate@Diethood on July 30, 2011 at 9:30 am

Ooooh I am so happy you chose the PB ice cream cups! Thank you so much for loving them and including them with all the other delicious treats. ♥

6. Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking on July 30, 2011 at 10:28 am

Yes, am right now trying to decide which cheesecake to make for today.
    Like your recap. You seem to have been craving root beer floats this week, hunh, Michelle? ;-) They are so yummy!

7. JCHokie on July 30, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Love your blog. I’m in Pgh and went to the U2 concert too. It was my first U2 concert and I loved every minute of it. They def put on a great show!

• Michelle on July 30th, 2011 at 6:39 pm

It was my first too, I loved it! Such a great show!

8. Ally on July 30, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Ohh my … root-beer float cupcakes? My 12 year old inner self is SO in. xo

9. Julie @ Sugarfoot Eats on July 30, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I bet the U2 concert was amazing!!

10. Jennifer on July 30, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Love all your recipes! I saw U2 in 2009 on the first leg of their tour. It was a dream-come-true!

11. sara826 on July 30, 2011 at 6:30 pm

What a great week! I saw U2 the night they opened the tour in Chicago! Loved every minute! That sandwich looks amazing!

12. Christine on July 30, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Glad you had fun at the concert.

13. Michael Richardson on July 30, 2011 at 11:02 pm

U2 how cool have not seen them in years. I actually seen them at The Dandeloin Market in Dublin before they were well known..
    I will have to check your cheesecake archive.. Some great links as usual

14. Baking Serendipity on July 31, 2011 at 12:05 am

I like your affection for root beer floats this week :) And your concert picture. Wishing you another good week ahead!

15. June on July 31, 2011 at 6:59 am

The Pittsburgh concert was no doubt the last show in the US, however the last show of their 360 tour was in Canada. http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1256060.html :)

16. Kathi on July 31, 2011 at 9:59 am

Cheesecake and U2! Yum! Yum! I saw U2 back in 1983 at a small venue in New Haven, CT. What an incredible show!

17. Ann on July 31, 2011 at 11:19 am

It was another great week! I remember sending my son to U2′s Joshua Tree Concert for his 17th birthday….their music has stood the test of time!