The Weekend Dish: 8/13/2011

Last week I shared with you all the dreaming I was doing about fall baking, with ingredients like apples, pumpkin and cinnamon dancing through my head. Mother Nature must have her finger on the pulse of food blogs, because only a few days passed before the Pittsburgh area was graced with true transition weather. It has been beyond pleasant. Highs in the mid to upper 70′s, hardly any humidity, sun and soft breezes. If the entire summer consisted of this weather, I would be in heaven. Yet there was a certain feel in the air… a smell almost… the slight crispness of early fall. It’s on its way! She must have also known that football started up again this week. Mother Nature might not be so bad after all…

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy! :)

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

Top 10 List: Favorite Yeast Bread Recipes – My 10 favorite yeast bread recipes.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars – One of my oldest and most dear recipes. So cozy.

Two-Ingredient Ice Cream: Reese’s Mini Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream – You can make ice cream with only two ingredients and the mix-ins of your choice. No ice cream maker needed!

S’mores Brownies – A brownie version of the summertime campfire favorite.

No-Bake Creamy Peanut Butter Pie – Shared in memory of a fellow food blogger’s husband.

Most Viewed Post This Week: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too:

Banoffee Pie (Rock Recipes)
This is new to me, but sounds delicious! A graham crust, a dulce de leche-like layer, bananas and whipped cream. YUM!

Hickory-Bacon and Roasted-Corn Gougères (The Galley Gourmet)
I love gougères – savory, cheesy cream puffs, and the addition of bacon and corns sounds amazing.

Homemade Klondike Bars (Mind Over Batter)
My grandma always had Klondike bars in her freezer when we were kids. Making them from scratch is such a perfect idea!

Salted Caramel Chocolate Fudge Cake (Sweetapolita)
Rosie makes the most amazing cakes! I think this might be on tap for my birthday… in 7 months.

Tupelo Honey Coleslaw with Sweet Potatoes and Sunflower Seeds (Eats Well With Others)
A yummy non-mayo coleslaw recipe – right in my wheelhouse. Sounds delicious!

Have a delicious weekend!

9 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 8/13/2011”

1. Bev Weidner on August 13, 2011 at 9:39 am

I am SO with you! It’s felt like absolute hell in KC for so long, that the break we had yesterday sent me straight to tears. I even put on my giddy pants.

2. Ally on August 13, 2011 at 10:10 am

Banoffee pie! Reminds me so much of memories in England. It would be neat to try & make it here in Canada! xo

3. Benthe on August 13, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Here in Holland we haven’t had a real summer yet so I’m still waiting for it. Hopefully our fall ain’t coming already.

4. Barry on August 13, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Hey, Barry here from Rock Recipes. Hello from Newfoundland. Thanks for the shout out about my Banoffee Pie but a small correction. It isn’t a graham crust! It’s actually a digestive biscuit crumb crust which is far more prevalent in the UK and which makes a nice change from the ordinary. I have made 2 of these this week and everybody loves it, including Food Network Canada who today chose it as “Pic of the Week”!

5. The Galley Gourmet on August 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm

What a delicious Weekend Dish! Thank you for including the gougères. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did. Your Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream sounds too easy and sooo good! Enjoy the weather and food:)

6. Margie Orr on August 13, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Envy your weather. It’s horribly hot in Louisiana.

I want to bake some bread, but can’t think about turning on the oven.

However, I did yesterday and made cake balls for a party. Those things are so good, but so much trouble.

7. Tanya on August 13, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I can totally relate about the weather!! We’ve had the hottest summer on record here in central NC with so many days going over 100 degrees (and with the humidity feeling sooo much hotter) that I’ve lost count. But the heat has finally broken and it feels great out! I am seriously anticipating fall–I even thawed out some frozen fresh pumpkin puree and did some baking with it. :) Glad the heat wave finally broke for you too!

8. Ann on August 13, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Another great week….I love your weekly pic article!

9. Joanne on August 14, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Thanks so much for including my coleslaw! I actually can’t wait for fall either…especially since I still have about 10 cans of pumpkin from last year sitting on my shelves!