The Weekend Dish: 8/20/2011

I hope that everyone had a wonderful week, and that you are enjoying a great weekend with awesome weather! I am gearing up to enjoy these last couple “official” weeks of summer with some light and fresh baked goods. And although it’s already nearing the end of summer, I am about to take my first baby steps into the world of canning. I can’t wait to tackle it and share it with you! What do you have on the agenda for the rest of these warm summer days? Are you making the shift to school lunches yet? As much as I hate the high heat and humidity, I’m going to miss the warm evenings. That being said, bring on the fall baking!

I was honored this week to find out that I am a finalist for “Most Valuable Blogger in Pittsburgh” in the Lifestyle category. Thank you to any of you who may have nominated me! If you’d like to cast a vote, you can do so here. It’s super easy – no registration or signing up, just click the “vote” button next to Brown Eyed Baker. You can vote once a day until September 9th. Thank you for your support!

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy! :)

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

Top 10 Lists: The Roundup – A recap of all the Top 10 lists I have published over the last few months.

Pepperoni Pizza – A classic homemade pepperoni pizza.

Five Ingredient Challenge + Giveaway – A little guessing game with a prize!

Zucchini-Pineapple Cupcakes with Orange Sour Cream Frosting – A deliciously sweet way to use up some of your bounty of zucchini.

Most Viewed Post This Week: Homemade Peanut Butter Cups

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too:

Bacon Cinnabon-Style Cinnamon Buns (The Bacon Bible)
Oh goodness, tons of bacon baked into cinnamon rolls and topped with a maple cream cheese icing. I’m in heaven.

Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Closet Cooking)
I love all of the creative grilled cheese sandwiches that Kevin makes, and this one is no exception!

Nutty Coconut Caramel Brownies (A Spicy Perspective)
These look sublime. Fudgy brownies with a layer of dulce de leche and topped with coconut, almonds and chocolate chunks.

Peach Cupcakes with Peach Cream Cheese Frosting (Week of Menus)
These sound like such a bright and fresh way to enjoy cupcakes during the summer!

Salted Caramel and Chocolate Pretzel Cups (Bakers Royale)
Love this spin on peanut butter cups – love the salted caramel and pretzels combined with sweet chocolate.

Have a delicious weekend!

11 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 8/20/2011”

1. Celina on August 20, 2011 at 2:19 am

Totally voted for you! You are awesome! Loved your top ten lists. Are you going to be posting your canning exploits? We have lots of great berries this time of year where I am and have been mulling it over. Will miss the summer too but am also looking to the fall and making another sourdough starter. It will be nice to have fresh bread every week again.

2. Penny Wolf on August 20, 2011 at 8:00 am

I voted for you and GOOD LUCK!

Have fun with canning too. I have a feeling you will be hooked once you do it.
    I think the hardest part is dragging everything out and getting it organized first.
    I like to do that the night before and wake up ready to go.

3. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective on August 20, 2011 at 9:16 am

Thanks honey, I’m honor you like the brownies! All the recipes sound amazing. :)

4. Charlie on August 20, 2011 at 10:25 am

I loved canning!
    I don’t do a lot now, as I am on my own with my Mama.
    We don’t eat a lot and she discourages it, seeing no point in it for just two.

Here is a great website I frequent, trying to keep myself informed and to read the recipes.

• Elizabeth on August 22nd, 2011 at 8:43 am

We are now only two empty nesters but I find canning is still very rewarding and not wasteful…you can get a lot of receipes now in small batches and they make lovely additions to gift baskets for new moms, illness, new neighbours etc.

5. Ally on August 20, 2011 at 1:24 pm

You are most deserving, lovely lady! x

6. Ann on August 20, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Congratulations! I know you’re going to win – you are a truly amazing blogger and your recipes inspire and awe me… I’m headed to cast a vote!

Once again..another great round up!

7. Letty on August 21, 2011 at 12:05 am

You are the best! I read your site almost everyday and have been trying lots of your recipes. I just made cowboy cookies tonight and they were amazingly delicious! Thanks for inspiring me!

8. Mona on August 21, 2011 at 12:36 pm

You’ve got my vote! The best of luck to you and I like others here think you deserve to be The Most Valuable Blogger in Pittsburgh : )
    I look forward to hearing about your canning adventures as I am going to be starting myself : )

9. Dawnie on August 22, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I voted for you! Good luck!

10. Kim Bee on August 22, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Went over and voted for you. I think your pizza was my fave this week. Great lineup. I tend to find blogs I haven’t discovered yet so really look forward to this. Have a great week.