My 10 Favorite Recipes from this Summer

Ahh, summer. It’s been a good one, hasn’t it? What were some of your summer highlights? I enjoyed ballgames with cityscapes in the background, a U2 concert, playing board games outside on warm summer evenings, making pickles, 4th of July fun, and much more.

Since summer is coming to a close and we’re only two weeks away from Labor Day, I wanted to share with you 10 of my most favorite recipes that I’ve made this summer. I’ve made a lot of my tried-and-true recipes, but these are all new ones that immediately stole a little piece of my heart. Whether you decide to tackle them between now and the end of summer, or tuck them away for snowy baking days, I definitely think they deserve a spot on your “to-bake” list!

1. Blueberry Muffins – I made these right after Memorial Day and they were the perfect recipe to welcome summer with open arms. Tons of fresh blueberries and such a bright flavor, these have become my all-time favorite muffin recipe. Amazing!

2. Date, Rum & Pecan Ice Cream – Sometimes summer makes you want to kick things up a notch. Or spike foods that you otherwise wouldn’t spike (ahem, vodka watermelon). This ice cream is utterly incredible – rum-soaked dates, rum ice cream and candied pecans.

3. Easy Homemade French Fries – I’ve always wanted to try my hand at homemade French fries, but have also always shied away from frying. I am now totally sold on it – these are outstanding, and way better than any restaurant or frozen version.

4. Homemade Peanut Butter Cups – Possibly the best thing to come out of my kitchen this summer. No more Reese’s for me – these babies have my heart.

5. Jalapeño Popper Dip – The end of summer also means ushering in the start of the football season, and nothing says game day quite like jalapeño poppers. Enjoy this dip at any of your summer gatherings, or throughout the fall and winter sports seasons!

6. Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars – One of my oldest and most favorite recipes finally made its way onto the site, at long last. Most deservedly so, as these are phenomenal. I keep extras in the freezer to snack on when the urge hits :)

7. Peanut Butter and Jelly Pie Bars – O.M.G. These literally left me speechless. And with absolutely no willpower. They are magical.

8. Pepperoni Pizza – My absolute favorite pizza, and homemade is always the best. Plus, a tip on how to prevent that river of grease on top of the cheese from the pepperoni.

9. Portobello Pesto Pizza – Mmmm, my favorite new pizza! Fashioned after a pizza from a local restaurant, this is probably now my second-favorite recipe (behind pepperoni, of course!).

10. Sweet and Salty Brownies – These are pretty much the ultimate brownie – rich, fudgy brownies with a layer of salted caramel baked into the middle, and fleur de sel sprinkled on top. They are heaven.

Of all the new recipes you made this summer, which one is your favorite??

30 Responses to “My 10 Favorite Recipes from this Summer”

1. Lisa on August 22, 2011 at 12:19 am

How did I manage to miss the PB&J bars?!?!? Good thing you do these top ten posts!

2. Jen of My Tiny Oven on August 22, 2011 at 12:40 am

I can’t decide what I want to make most, so guess I will have to make them all!

3. Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking on August 22, 2011 at 2:48 am

They all look SO good, but what really jumps out at me are those PB & J pie bars! I’m with Lisa, I missed them, too!

4. Sasha (The Procrastobaker) on August 22, 2011 at 4:34 am

Those blueberry muffins and the pizza and the bars and Oh My Goodness ALLLL of them, please never stop doing round-ups…haha

5. Penny Wolf on August 22, 2011 at 6:15 am

That ice cream is on my list! It can carry me right into those days of Indian Summer.

6. Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance on August 22, 2011 at 6:23 am

How did I miss that portobello pesto pizza!!??

7. Hoxiesgirl on August 22, 2011 at 7:45 am

Now this is something to wake up to! What a list of incredible deliciousness … yum! I have a real thing with peanut butter, too. Back in the dark ages (1960′s), my dad started it all with peanut butter and bologna sandwiches. My grandmother ALWAYS had peanut butter fudge at Christmas and it was my favorite treat. Are we twins, separated at birth??

8. sherri lynn @ life of a wife on August 22, 2011 at 8:59 am

I can’t wait to make the pepperoni pizza and the peanut butter cups!

9. Robyn {Planet Byn} on August 22, 2011 at 9:24 am

the best thing i made this summer was a strawberry-rhubarb tart with brown butter crumble. amazing. i’m definitely making that portobello pizza after i get more basil at the farmer’s market next weekend!

10. Ali B on August 22, 2011 at 9:55 am

I missed the peanut butter and jelly bars too! So cute! My favorite recipe from this summer was the mini blueberry tarts I made. I love baked blueberries!

11. Nelly on August 22, 2011 at 10:50 am

Wow! Everything looks so delicious! That portobello pesto pizza looks amazing, oh and the salty brownies… and the cookie bars… and the…

Oh it all looks amazing, who am I kidding!

12. CouponClippingCook on August 22, 2011 at 10:59 am

All of these recipes look so good. The blueberry muffins sound so good right now for breakfast. But actually so do the french fries which I could also eat for breakfast…along with that pizza!

13. Abby on August 22, 2011 at 11:37 am

good picks! i can’t wait to try the Triple P ( portabella, pesto pizza) and the jalapeno dip!

14. Roxana GreenGirl on August 22, 2011 at 11:55 am

it’s been such a wonderful summer here too. your summer recipes collection looks great, especially the salty brownies which I made for a party couple of weeks ago.
    Thanks for sharing Michelle

15. Nicole @ Bake Me Blush on August 22, 2011 at 12:52 pm

MMM… Those all look DELICIOUS, and I especially want to try those peanut butter cups! I love peanut butter cups!

16. Amy @ Gastronome Tart on August 22, 2011 at 2:02 pm

These all look fantastic! I printed out the recipe for the Date, Rum and Pecan Ice Cream as I actually have some dates in my pantry as we speak. Can’t wait to try it out!

17. Michelle O on August 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm

It’s the popper dip for me… 100% I can’t wait to make it when the actually football season starts.

18. Andrea@cleanupandeatup.com on August 22, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I love this idea of counting down your summer dishes – and these all look so tasty – if I had to choose one to try it would be the chocolate peanut butter cups – I’m a sucker for sweets!

I made these great spicy black bean burgers from scratch this summer – they were super light compared to your regular grilled burger! Here’s my link!

19. Kathryn on August 22, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Wow, what a line up. They all look so good! Particularly sold on your pepperoni pizza and the jalepeno popper dip.

20. Paula on August 22, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Great top 10…don’t know how you whittled it down to just 10 though ;)

21. Ann on August 22, 2011 at 10:15 pm

What a great top ten. You have made some of the most amazing recipes – I am in awe. I think my favorite of yours is the ice-cream….without a doubt. I love the idea of rum soaked raisins! My favorite that I made this summer for me is my healthy fried chicken – it was incredible! It tasted just like southern fried chicken without frying at all!

22. Baking Serendipity on August 23, 2011 at 12:11 am

You have been eating good this summer! I think I’ve gone back to simple cravings…your blueberry muffins and pepperoni pizza are my favorite :) I made smoothies and ice cream sandwiches like crazy this summer.

23. Ally on August 23, 2011 at 8:35 am

“Left speechless & with no willpower”? That’s what all your recipes do!

xo

24. Kaitlin on August 23, 2011 at 8:47 am

Wow you’ve made some really great recipes this summer! My favorite is the sweet and salty brownies. I am planning on making salted caramel brownies this weekend!

25. Jess Wakasugi {Life's Simple Measures} on August 23, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Gosh, I just love your blog so I can’t imagine how hard it was for you to pick out just 10 of your favorite recipes. Every one you chose looks absolutely delicious, I’m especially loving those blueberry muffins! My favorite recipe I made this summer has to be my Blueberries & Cream Sweet rolls since they’re a family recipe and I literally can not say no to these suckers!

26. Firefly on August 23, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I love your recipe list, all yummy and so good. Can’t wait to try some of them.
    My favorite new recipe that I made this summer must be the Ham and Cheese Chicken Rollatini http://fireflyblog.org/ham-and-cheese-chicken-rollatini/ :)

27. Chef Tom on August 24, 2011 at 1:15 am

Thanks for sharing your top 10! These might just become my favorite 10 soon…lol Bookmarking this post for some future cooking sessions!

28. Melanie on August 24, 2011 at 11:40 am

love love LOVE your choices, Michelle! You inspired me to share mine–http://www.kevinandmel.com/2011/08/top-ten-best-recipes-from-this-summer.html

29. Courtney on August 25, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Seriously, you have the best recipes ever. I made your broccoli salad over the weekend and it was divine (and fed a lot of us for 2 nights in a row!) – I am dying to try the jalepeno popper dip and the brownies…you are such a source of inspiration in the kitchen!

30. Becki's Whole Life on August 25, 2011 at 9:14 pm

This is a great list. The layers in the PBJ bars look amazing!!