The Weekend Dish: 8/27/2011

Happy hurricane weekend! How many of you have been affected by Hurricane Irene? Living in Pittsburgh, you don’t really feel the effects of hurricanes, however when Ivan hit in 2004 it came right up through and caused some major flooding. I hope any of you that are in the path of the storm stay safe and don’t experience any damage! That being said, when you are holed up due to a storm, what are some of your favorite snacks or treats to keep on hand? I think I would stock up on chips, salsa and guacamole! :)

I mentioned last week that I found out that I am a finalist for “Most Valuable Blogger in Pittsburgh” in the Lifestyle category. You can still vote once per day until September 9th. If you’d like to cast a vote, you can do so here. It’s super easy – no registration or signing up, just click the “vote” button next to Brown Eyed Baker. Thank you for your support!

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

My 10 Favorite Recipes from this Summer – Of all the recipes that I’ve made from Memorial Day until now, these are my top 10 favorites.

Cinnamon Sugar Pull-Apart Bread – A great twist on cinnamon bread – fun to eat and tastes like a cinnamon roll!

Honey Fig Scones – My love affair with scones continues and I absolutely love the figs in these!

Bread and Butter Pickles – Getting my feet wet with homemade pickles – delicious and no canning equipment needed!

Garden Zucchini Pizza Casserole – One of my grandma’s famous zucchini recipes.

Most Viewed Post This Week: Homemade Peanut Butter Cups

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too:

Blueberry + Peach Milk Bread (Syrup)
A fruit version of foccacia – sweet bread baked up with blueberries and peaches nestled on top.

Chewy Chocolate Chunk Marshmallow Cookie Bars (How Sweet It Is)
A combination of chocolate chip cookies and rice krispy treats, oh my!

Creamy Mango Coconut Bars (food + words)
These just scream summer! The combination of flavors sounds totally amazing.

Fig, Mascarpone, and Pistachio Tart (Desserts for Breakfast)
A combination of some of my all-time favorite flavors and ingredients. I can’t wait to make this!

Honey Cinnamon Peach Pie (My Kitchen Addiction)
One of the most gorgeous pies I’ve ever seen! I can almost taste it.

Have a delicious weekend!

10 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 8/27/2011”

1. Katrina on August 27, 2011 at 2:05 am

Great posts this week!

2. Lauren at Keep It Sweet on August 27, 2011 at 6:50 am

Just voted for you! Great roundup this week.

3. Melinda on August 27, 2011 at 8:45 am

Voted! I’m in Northern Virginia, so we’re expecting some bad weather, but nothing horrible I don’t think (the earthquake was enough for me anyway!). We’ll be holed up inside with 2 kids, so we’re planning on some movies, a few Wii tournaments, and I’m going to tackle a few recipes I’ve been wanting to try….your Cinnamon Sugar Pull Apart bread is one. Also corn dogs (kids), vidalia onion dip, fried pickles (both for husband) and iced coffee (me). My biggest concern is that my parents own a house on the coast, and they have a hurricane warning. And in their yard, is my source of figs – I’m worried the storm will empty the fig tree!

4. Abby on August 27, 2011 at 9:06 am

In Maryland we’re just looking at some wind and rain…but usually a few fallen trees keep things interesting. I, too, am baking your Cinnamon Pull Apart bread! I am going to add diced fresh peaches, we’ll see how it turns out! And of course, I have the Philadelphia Story and Sabrina…so I have my Hepburn Fix covered. :)

5. amanda @ fake ginger on August 27, 2011 at 9:25 am

Ivan was a beast of a storm! I was living right on the coast in FL and ended up with so much mold in my room that I had to move. I got so sick. Yuck.

Voted for you! Good luck!

6. Lori on August 27, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I am in New York….the storm will hit hear late tonight, early tomorrow. I was thinking about making your peach crumb cake. We were going to have our fantasy football draft party tomorrow but had to cancell. I was going to make it any way…so why not while I still have power! Everyone be safe out there.

7. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on August 27, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Thanks so much for including my peach pie! Hope you’re having a great weekend :)

8. colleen on August 27, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Just voted for you- good luck!!

9. Ann on August 28, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Another fabulous round-up! I enjoy every post…but I look forward to the weekend dish to see what captured your eye!

10. Diana @ a girl, a dog and an oven on August 30, 2011 at 11:30 am

Voted for you! I love your Weekend Dish, BTW – it’s one of the highlights of my food-reading week! :-)