The Weekend Dish: 9/10/2011

Happy weekend folks! And for any other football fans out there, happy opening weekend of the NFL season! I’m definitely ready for some football, as well as game day food. Be sure to check out my 150 Best Fall Recipes – there are oodles of awesome hot dips and appetizers that are perfect for munching on while you’re watching the game. This is my third year playing fantasy football with my boyfriend and some of his family and friends, which is always a great time. On top of that, I’m also in another all-girl food blogger fantasy football league this year. How fun! I’m playing with Tracy from Sugarcrafter, Dara from Cookin’ Canuck, Tracey from Tracey’s Culinary Adventures, Elle from Elle’s New England Kitchen, Jen from My Kitchen Addiction, Jackie from The Spicy Lens, and Marie from Meandering Eats. Looking forward to fall, football, and lots of fun!

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

150 Best Fall Recipes – A roundup of all of my favorite recipes for the fall season.

Chunky Peanut Butter Cookies – Big, thick and chewy peanut butter cookies made with chunky peanut butter and loaded with tons of chopped peanuts.

My Fall Baking To-Do List – A list of recipes I hope to tackle this fall, plus a few new kitchen toys I’m looking forward to buying.

Congo Bars – An  adaptation of blondies – chock full of toasted coconut, with semisweet and white chocolate chips, as well as pecans.

Most Viewed Post This Week: 150 Best Fall Recipes

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too:

Bourbon Peach Hand Pies (use real butter)
I love hand pies (my apple hand pies always get rave reviews!), and this peach and bourbon version sounds to-die-for.

Breakfast Potato Hash (A Communal Table)
An awesome breakfast casserole with potatoes, eggs and cheese that looks totally delicious.

Cheesy Bacon Ranch Pull Apart Bread (Buns In My Oven)
I recently made friends with a cinnamon-sugar pull apart bread that I now absolutely adore. Substituting cinnamon and sugar with cheese, bacon and ranch sounds like a superb idea. YUM!

Fig Tart with Amaretto Pastry Cream (KarmaCucina)
An absolutely gorgeous way to enjoy a bounty of fresh figs.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cheesecake Bites (The Craving Chronicles)
The ultimate combination of my favorite sweet foods, yum!

Have a delicious weekend!

11 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 9/10/2011”

1. Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on September 10, 2011 at 3:37 am

That sounds so fun being in an all girl, food blogger fantasy league! I’m doing fantasy football for the first time this year! I don’t know much about football, but I’m trying to learn. It definitely made watching the game on Thursday more interesting since I have Drew Brees on my team :)

2. Lauren at Keep It Sweet on September 10, 2011 at 6:32 am

It is definitely exciting that football season has begin! Have a great weekend:-)

3. Liz @ Microwave Goddess on September 10, 2011 at 8:48 am

The fantasy league sounds like a blast, GO PACK GO!
    I enjoyed your Fall recipe list, I’m making a version of your Jalapeno Popper Dip to bring to a cookout tonight. Have a great weekend!

4. Andrea on September 10, 2011 at 10:57 am

Love your website and all the recipes! Live in Pittsburgh and Love all the sports teams also. Trying some recipes for the Steeler season opening that you have listed. Have a great weekend! GO STEELERS!

5. Nancy@acommunaltable on September 10, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Hi Michelle!

Thank you so much for including my Southwestern Potato Hash in your Bookmarked recipes!!! I love that you are doing a Fantasy Football league – so happy that football season is here!!

6. Karly on September 10, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Thanks for including me in your list!

Good luck with the fantasy football! :)

7. Ally on September 11, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Thanks for sharing some fab links!
    xo

8. Thomas Andrew on September 12, 2011 at 8:29 pm

My sister loves football and is constantly looking for new recipes to make and serve for the game. I will be passing these along to her and I know she will be excited!

9. Soroya on September 12, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I would like $100 to go to my daughter’s spanish immersion elementary school. Each year the parents raise money to provide each classroom with a native spanish speaking aid. With the super tough economy in Michigan, funding is at an all time low (and so are donations). Your contribution could help a teacher provide much needed assistance in a classroom. Thanks!

10. marynika on September 13, 2011 at 2:18 pm

How fun! Foodie Fantasy Football! And thanks for the 150 best fall recipes link, I will be checking in on those for sure!

11. RisaG on September 19, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I want to make Congo Bars too. I haven’t had one in many years. There was a post about them awhile back on Leite’s Culinaria and David and I were talking about them. I used to get them at this small movie theatre in Cambridge, MA when I was a college student. They showed mainly foreign films. It is no longer there. It was privately run and the owner had congo bars in the snack bar. I had never had one before then and they were excellent. I couldn’t find a recipe for years. Now i have 2. I have to make them. They bring back such great memories.