10 Best Soup, Stew & Chili Recipes

You’d be hard-pressed to find something more comforting and soul-soothing on a cold fall or winter day than a bowl of warm, homemade soup. Homemade soups usually don’t take too much effort to make and you can let them simmer away for hours until you’re ready to ladle yourself a bowl. I love experimenting with different types of soup, stew and chili dishes, but like anyone, I definitely have my favorites. I have a long list of new soups I want to try (I’m thinking some tomato, potato, pumpkin and clam chowder to start off) and a new chili that uses cubed beef instead of ground beef, but in the meantime I wanted to share with you some of my all-time favorite warm-you-up dishes (and, bonus! you get a healthy dose of old-school food photography from me!). Enjoy!

1. Beef Mushroom Barley Soup:

2. Butternut Squash Soup:

3. Cheddar Corn Chowder:

4. Cream of Mushroom Soup:

5. French Onion Soup:

6. Ham and Split Pea Soup:

7. Hearty Beef Stew:

8. Italian Wedding Soup:

9. Pasta Fagioli:

10. Thick and Hearty Chili:

What are some of your favorite soups, stews or chili recipes?
Any requests for recipes you’d like to see here?

24 Responses to “10 Best Soup, Stew & Chili Recipes”

1. CouponClippingCook on October 17, 2011 at 12:49 am

All of these look so delicious and perfect for this time of year. Love how each recipe is something different from the other. This is a great post to bookmark!

2. Katrina on October 17, 2011 at 6:13 am

You’re right. There’s nothing more comforting than soups and stews!

3. Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers on October 17, 2011 at 7:24 am

I love your Best Of Links! This one is also a keeper. The chili looks so good!!!

4. Pam on October 17, 2011 at 8:27 am

They all look wonderful, but the picture and recipe for Pasta Fagioli isn’t there.

• Michelle on October 17th, 2011 at 11:09 am

Hi Pam, So sorry about that, it must have saved a previous version. I have fixed it now and it’s there. Thank you for the heads up!

5. Abby on October 17, 2011 at 8:44 am

Great collection! Soup season is here!

6. Becky on October 17, 2011 at 9:25 am

I love a bowl of soup, cool temps and a football game at home on the couch. Another fall favorite of mine is Taco soup! Serve it with tortilla chips, sour cream, cheddar cheese and diced onions…. yum!

7. Erin on October 17, 2011 at 10:17 am

I made your recipe for Ham and Split Pea Soup last fall and fell in LOVE with it! Can’t wait to try some of the others :)

8. Rhyann @ CookingCollegeChick on October 17, 2011 at 10:57 am

What a great idea! I love soups and stews!

9. Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) on October 17, 2011 at 11:34 am

Perfect timing for this post. My throat is getting scratchy and my heading is getting light. It might be a soup filled week for me :( . These look so good!

10. kitchenvoyage on October 17, 2011 at 11:41 am

Great a lot of ideas for this autumn

11. Jen of My Tiny Oven on October 17, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I am all over that cream of mushroom soup, I totally need to make that asap.
    Awesome top 10 list, as usual!
    have a great week!

12. Marilyn on October 17, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Ooo…the cream of mushroom looks very comforting. Have you ever made a spicy lentil soup? I’ve eaten (and enjoyed) them a lot, but I’ve never tried to make one myself. That might be fun.

• Michelle on October 18th, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I have not, but that sounds delicious!

13. Babou on October 17, 2011 at 1:16 pm

You are my hero !
    Comparing your old and new picture makes me believe I too can do it !

14. natalie (the sweets life) on October 17, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I love this time of year NOT for the weather (I’m a summer girl) but because of soups! Great list! We have a few favorites that I make again and again…sweet potato & kale, plus a creamy wild rice soup…I can’t wait to try your mushroom soup! :)

15. sherri lynn @ life of a wife on October 17, 2011 at 5:42 pm
  16. Maria on October 17, 2011 at 9:11 pm

So glad you posted this. I spotted your mushroom soup last year when I discovered and devoured your blog…this reminds me I need to make it. And I made your Italian Wedding Soup. My goodness, that is one tasty soup! As for my favorite: Chicken Tortilla Soup. It’s a recipe I found online ages ago and hubby always requests it. It’s even one of the most tried recipes from the whopping handful of people who subscribe to my blog ; )

17. Becki's Whole Life on October 18, 2011 at 7:37 am

These all look delish – I love the variety you have here. That corn chowder looks divine!

18. SJ on October 18, 2011 at 9:38 am

I love your “10 best” posts! There are quite a few soups I will be trying on this post. Thanks for the fun posts!

19. Lilly on October 20, 2011 at 6:18 am

I wish I could have a bowl of each and every one of them for lunch/dinner. They’re all amazing! I love soup because there is always one that you like and there is no way you can go wrong with it.
    My all time favourite is “erwtensoep” or Dutch split pea soup. I make it multiple times in the winter and even in spring/summer if I can get all the ingredients. Will be making it soon!

20. Ambel on November 15, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I’d be interested in a lentil soup recipe, anyways, that corn cheddar soup looks REALLY GOOD!!!

21. Alanna on January 25, 2012 at 7:16 am

I would love to see a cheddar broccoli soup recipe

22. Susan on October 21, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I made the pasta fagioli and the thick and hearty chili this weekend to freeze to eat for the coming week and they are both awesome! Thank you for sharing the recipes.