The Weekend Dish: 10/22/2011

Happy Saturday everyone! Did you all have a good week? I took a nice little mid-week, one-day road trip out to the middle of Pennsylvania. Driving the turnpike from Pittsburgh, the trees were absolutely gorgeous – a million different shades of red, orange and yellow. I love this time of year. My Chief Culinary Consultant and I had tickets to see Jay, Grant and Steve from Ghost Hunters (anyone else watch that show?) – they were appearing at the Penn State campus in York, PA. We headed out early and had time for a tour of the Utz potato chip factory in Hanover, PA, which we both loved. It was so cool to see the process from just-picked potatoes to bagged potato chips. Loved it! I came home with two big bags of goodies from their factory store – can’t wait to eat my way through that ;-) Now my primary goal is staying warm – some downright dreary days here in Pittsburgh. I don’t mind the cold, but some sun would be nice!

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

10 Best Soup, Stew & Chili Recipes – A roundup of my 10 favorite soup, stew and chili recipes. I plan on making many more during these cold weather months, but this is a great glimpse into my favorites from the past.

Pumpkin Soup with Apple & Spices – A wonderfully thick and hearty pumpkin soup, packed with flavor, thanks to the addition of apple and savory spices. Incredibly quick to throw together and smells amazing!

Salted Caramel Popcorn, Pretzel & Peanut Bars – A combination of Rice Krispies treats and Cracker Jack – on crack. Or on steroids. Basically, seriously amazing stuff here.

What’s on Your Holiday Wish List? – I’m working on my holiday giveaway list, and would love for you to share what’s on your wish list – it will help me narrow down the list! :)

Skillet Apple Crisp – The most delicious apple crisp I’ve ever made – caramelized apples topped with a crunchy streusel. Started off on the stove, and then finished in the oven, all made in a skillet.

Most Viewed Post This Week: Homemade Peanut Butter Cups

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too:

Alfajores (Hungry Girl por vida)
Squeeeaaal! SO excited to see these! I got a sample package of alfajores cookies a few months ago and nearly died. OMG delicious. Two buttery shortbread cookies sandwiching creamy dulce de leche. I am SO excited to see a recipe, I can’t wait to make them at home!

Bread Pudding with Brown Sugar Crumble (Crustabakes)
While I love bread pudding, few things make me weak in the knees like an awesome crumb topping. On top of just about anything. This looks awesome!

Loaded Potato Soup (Zoom Yummy)
I adore potato soup, and love this version with all the fixin’s – cheddar, bacon, green onions, yum!

Pumpkin Spice White Hot Chocolate (TidyMom)
I had my first hot chocolate of the season last Saturday and now I’m hooked. I love this version, using pumpkin spice and white chocolate – sounds totally delicious!

Tater Tot Casserole (The Domestic Mama & The Village Cook)
I’ve heard of tater tot casseroles before, but haven’t made one. THIS has me running to the kitchen. It looks totally delicious. Plus, how awesome are tater tots? Seriously.

Have a delicious weekend!

17 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 10/22/2011”

1. Choc Chip Uru on October 22, 2011 at 3:22 am

Those salted caramel pretzel popcorn bars took the trophy this week – I love reviewing all the recipes you make in this one traditional weekly post of yours – I would hate to miss out!
    Thanks :)

2. TidyMom on October 22, 2011 at 6:54 am

Sounds like a fun mid week trip!!
    Great round up of recipes!…….thanks so much for all the shout outs on my hot chocolate!!

3. michelle @ The Domestic Mama & The Village Cook on October 22, 2011 at 7:02 am

Wow! Thanks sooooo much! I am honored! Woo~hoo! I hope you have a fabulous weekend and stay warm and toasty. Cheers!

4. michelle @ The Domestic Mama & The Village Cook on October 22, 2011 at 7:07 am

HOW COOL! :)
    Thanks sooooo much for bookmarking me! I feel so honored! Hope you have a fabulous weekend, and stay warm!

5. Katrina on October 22, 2011 at 7:19 am

Everything you made this week was mouthwatering! Love it.

6. CathyB. on October 22, 2011 at 7:45 am

Oh Michelle! This post made my weekend! You see, I’m a former Central-PA girl(now transplanted in northern WI)…I grew up not far from State College! Just hearing you talk about those familiar towns, and yes, Utz potato chips made me smile and think of “home” :)
    Keep up the great blog…I’m a regular reader who happens to run a small artisan bakery from my home…so I’m always excited to see what you’re baking up!

love,
    cathy b.

7. Lauren at Keep It Sweet on October 22, 2011 at 8:45 am

Sounds like such a fun trip! Have a great weekend:-)

8. Michelle on October 22, 2011 at 9:01 am

I was lucky enough to stumble upon your site a few months back while searching recipe ideas for my sister’s bridal shower. Your site instantly became a “jack-pot” find, and “The Weekend Dish” has become something to look forward to. Your posts are always enjoyable to read! But, this weekend’s post I had to share with my husband… he runs a kettle chip plant in the Wilkes-Barre, PA area that has recently become a division of Utz. We thought it was great that you had the opportunity to tour the facility. Like you said, watching the process from potato to chip is pretty “cool”! Thanks again for all the tasty recipes you kick out every week! My daughter and I have spent many afternoons bonding over your meals (and a huge YUM over the pumpkin fudge) ;-)

Best wishes to you and yours,
    Michelle

9. cindy on October 22, 2011 at 10:58 am

Nice roundup! Thanks for the link-love too!

10. Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on October 22, 2011 at 2:14 pm

You were in my college town! I went to York College of Pennsylvania. You’re so right about the gorgeous trees in PA this time of year…I grew up in NJ, and used to love my drive back to school from fall break every year, just because the leaves and scenery were so pretty. Somehow, foliage managed to make the terrifying PA turnpike enjoyable :)

11. fiorucci7 on October 22, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Yay! I was so excited to see you were in my town this past week. If you are ever in Hanover again try the Snyder’s tour too! We liked their’s a lot more and we are an Utz chip family. I love all your recipies and am making your rice crispie treats on crack this evening. Thanks for sharing.

12. Kelly @ Kelly Be Well on October 22, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Funny! I’m from near Pittsburgh, and currently live in York – it’s not often one of the bloggers I follow comments on both! HA! :)

13. Terri on October 22, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Love the Utz factory store. If you are ever in the York area again you need to stop at Maple Donuts. I am not a donut fan but love their donuts. I read somewhere they use potato flour and that must be the difference.

14. Baking Serendipity on October 23, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I don’t think I could get enough of that skillet apple crisp…so perfect for fall. And a drive down the Pennsylvania turnpike sounds wonderful about now. I grew up in the midwest and now live in Phoenix, where there is no fall at all. I miss it!

15. Gail Smith on October 24, 2011 at 7:02 pm

My dad grew up in
    York, Pa on York st.

His siblings still live in York and Dover, Pa.

We were there last month. We ALWAYS load up the car with UTZ !!! We also bring back Dried Beef and lebanon bologna and swiss cheese. Yes the swiss tastes different from Memphis swiss. We also go to Littiz, Pa to Sturgis pretzel on Main st,. and Wilbur’s chocolate and get BUDS!! Some times we get lucky at holidays and Walmart will carry UTZ pretzels in halloween shapes and Christmas tree shapes.
    We also go to Lancaster and Kitchen Kettle and farmer’s market and then supper at SHADY MAPLE SMORGASBORD!!

• CathyB. on October 25th, 2011 at 11:35 am

Shady Maple? GAH!!! I love that place ;)

16. Carrie on October 28, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Indeed, stay warm! It is getting very cold out there.