The Weekend Dish: 10/29/2011

How many of you are waking up to snow this morning?! I couldn’t believe when I looked at the forecast yesterday that there was 1-3 inches of snow forecasted for Pittsburgh today. It came out of nowhere! I hope everyone has power and can stay hunkered down if the roads are treacherous. A perfect weekend to stay in and do some cozy baking! (Hopefully no Halloween trick-or-treating plans were foiled!) I am off to the Steelers/Patriots game, woo! Here We Go, Steelers, Here We Go! Have a great weekend everyone!

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

35 Awesome Halloween Recipes – Halloween isn’t really my thing, so to make up for the lack of ghoulish treats here on the site, I rounded up 35 festive recipes from around the blog-o-sphere. I hope you enjoy browsing!

Creamy Potato & Leek Soup – A dish that I enjoyed years ago at a wedding and finally made a delicious version at home!

Pumpkin Cookies with Brown Butter Icing – I may not be much into Halloween, but I am all in when it comes to pumpkin! These cookies are amazing, and the brown butter icing is outstanding.

Favorite Hardcore Chili – I’ve had this on my to-make list for months, and was glad when the cool weather finally arrived so I could give this a go. It’s absolutely as good as advertised, and now one of my two go-to chili recipes. You’ll be amazed at some of the ingredients!

Most Viewed Post This Week: Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too:

Beer Battered Onion Rings (Pennies on a Platter)
So far I have only done oven-fried onion rings, but I have been dying to make a beer battered (and authentically fried) onion ring. These look great, I can’t wait to try them!

Brown Butter Malt Blondies (Sweet Twist of Blogging)
Since I got my feet wet this week with brown butter, this blondie recipe jumped right out at me. Plus, I was on a malt kick this summer so this sounds like the perfect blondie to try!

Caramel Crumb Bars (Lisa is Cooking)
I love crumb bars, but usually only see them with some sort of fruit filling. I love the change of pace with the caramel!

Pumpkin Semifreddo with Gingersnaps & Caramel Sauce (Hungry Girl por vida)
This looks so elegant and also so very comfort food-like. I really need to try my hand at more semifreddos, and this sounds like a perfect place to start!

Salted Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars (Dishing Up Delights)
Oh my. These have rendered me almost speechless. Must.Make.Immediately. I’m in love.

Have a delicious weekend!

16 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 10/29/2011”

1. Choc Chip Uru on October 29, 2011 at 3:20 am

Haha here in Aus in summer?
    Yep so much snow :P
    Thanx for the line up!

2. amanda @ fake ginger on October 29, 2011 at 7:45 am

We had no earlier this week and it’s in the forecast for next. Boo. :(

Enjoy the game!! I’m crazy jealous that you get to go!

3. Greer on October 29, 2011 at 9:14 am

I can’t find the recipe for the caramel crumb bars!

4. Debbie B. (DebaRooRoo) on October 29, 2011 at 9:36 am

What a great round up!! We are supposed to get some snow here is DC but I’m hoping it will blow over! Have a great weekend :)

5. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes on October 29, 2011 at 1:05 pm

We just dodged the snow here in upstate NY…I’m sure it won’t be long, though! Have a great weekend!

6. Katrina on October 29, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Mmm so many yummy fall recipes!

7. Brenda on October 29, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I live about 3 hrs north of you in Western PA. We got about 4″ of the white stuff today. Very wet and heavy. It’s still coming down. Gotta LOVE PA weather!!!

8. Ann on October 29, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I’m amazed at the snow y’all are having up north. My hubby is from your neck of the woods so we’re keeping in touch with family. GREAT re-cap as always!

9. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga on October 30, 2011 at 12:11 am

I can’t believe it snowed there…whoa. Makes me grateful for San Diego weather :) I grew up in MN and yes, we got Halloween blizzards all the time. I don’t miss those!

Your links look great…and those pumpkin cookies with the brown butter icing…oh, beautiful! I need to make those.

10. Esi on October 30, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Can you believe I’m actually jealous of your snow? We rarely get cozy baking weather in Los Angeles. Thanks for linking to me and I hope you enjoy the bars if you make them!

11. jane on October 30, 2011 at 1:53 pm

couldn’t find the recipes on Lisa is cooking. Looked at several other recipes on that site and couldn’t access them. Is there some way to access them?

12. Ally on October 30, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Your pumpkin cookies sound d.i.v.i.n.e.

xo

13. Beth on October 31, 2011 at 4:55 pm

My favorite halloween candy is sweet tarts – not smarties. The bigger ones, green, blue, and pick. YUM.

14. Beth on October 31, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I “liked” you on facebook!

15. Beth on October 31, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I have subscribed to your email feeds. :)