Happy New Year!

Like most years seem to do, 2011 came and went in a New York minute. Looking back, it seems to be but a blur. Good thing I took a lot of pictures! The collage above is a nice little snapshot of the fun I had this year.

• I got to see a lot of hockey, including Brent Johnson KO’ing DiPietro, a playoff game at Consol, Sid’s comeback game (which is now bittersweet), and much more.
  • I spent a few warm summer evenings at the ballpark with a great view of downtown Pittsburgh.
  • I went to my first U2 concert and loved every single second of it.
  • I went to Florida twice and soaked up the warm sun, tennis matches, a drive-thru safari, more hockey, shopping, and many, many conch fritters.
  • I spent a day in Annapolis, MD. Such a pretty little town!
  • I saw the Steelers beat the Patriots at Heinz Field.
  • I played a lot of fetch with Einstein.
  • I baked a lot. A. LOT.
  • And much, much more.

The one (and large) dark spot on the year was the loss of my grandma this past October. It took us all by surprise, but I continue to be comforted by the knowledge that she lived an incredibly full and happy life, always surrounded by friends and family that loved her just as much as she loved them. One day we’ll make gnocchi and ravioli together again…

I want to wish each of you an incredibly Happy New Year. May 2012 bring you all the goodness that life has to offer.

And a special thank you for being a part of this community, for continuing to make this site fun for me, for sharing your ideas, your life and your kitchen adventures with me. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your lives, in and out of the kitchen. I’m excited about all the new projects we’ll tackle together in the coming year!

11 Responses to “Happy New Year!”

1. Angie on January 1, 2012 at 1:01 am

I lost my grandmother in November also suddenly and in her sleep. She was 89 and I’m glad that she was a part of my life. Happy New Year.

2. Jenny on January 1, 2012 at 8:52 am

Sounds like a full year. I am so sorry about your grandmother :(

I hope you have a wonderful year of fun and baking in 2012 :)

3. Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers on January 1, 2012 at 9:06 am

Happy New Years! 2011 sounded like it was a good year for you! Cheers to you, here’s for a great 2012!

4. Deb on January 1, 2012 at 10:45 am

I just recently found your blog and I wanted to tell you how talented you are; every recipe I have tried has been so well received by my family! Thank you for helping to make me a much better cook. About your Grandma, I am so sorry for your loss, but I am so very glad you had such a loving relationship in your life, and that you know you will see her again. I hope 2012 will be a year filled with many blessings in your life.

5. Charlie on January 1, 2012 at 11:14 am

Michelle: Praying your New Year is filled with blessings!

6. Anna on January 1, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Thank you for sharing all those wonderful recipes with us this year! Looking forward to new ones in 2012. Happy New Year!

7. Carol on January 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Happy New Year to you also. I hope this year is better for you, for our country, our world. I hope for peace, safety and that we can all get along. Keep baking, love your recipes, thay make a lot of people (including me ) happy. Carol

8. leslie on January 1, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Happy New Years to you as well! You sure did have a sports/baking filled year!!

9. deborah on January 1, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Love Love Love your site!

Happy New Year! Grandmothers are such an influence on our lives, it’s evident she is the reason you do what you do today! What a blessing to have such an inspirational role model!!! I did too!

Thanks!

10. Vickie on January 1, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I saw U2 as well, in Chicago! Such a special night for me. My third time seeing them! Also, we got to meet the Edge before the show. He signed my iPhone case and shook my sister’s hand. *swoon*

In 2005, I got to meet Bono too! xoxoxo

11. RisaG on January 1, 2012 at 11:04 pm

U2?? Lucky you. One band I have never seen and have always wanted to – the other was R.E.M. and they are no longer together (a sad day in my life when they split).

Sounds like 2011 was a good year for you, minus the passing of your grandma. 2011 brought the passing of my mom (a big surprise) and shook me bad. 2012 has to be better for us all.