The Weekend Dish: 1/28/2012

I don’t know about you, but this week seems to have flown by in a flash for me! I broke up my typical work week and squeezed in a couple of fun days this week. My Chief Culinary Consultant and I caught a matinee on Tuesday afternoon (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy – good movie!), and my mom and I had a lunch and shopping date on Thursday afternoon. Sometimes it’s really nice to break up the routine every now and again and enjoy some time away from the computer. Now I need to get back to the theater so we can see the latest Mission Impossible movie before it’s gone! And given that my nearly-full bottle of shampoo spilled all over the inside of my overnight bag and I bought the wrong shade of tinted moisturizer, it looks like I’ll be in need of another trip to the mall as well. Perhaps I’ll have a take two on the movies and the mall next week. Have you seen any good movies lately? I’m always looking for recommendations – theater, Netflix, OnDemand, whatever! We’ve been catching up on the second season of Boardwalk Empire on demand… so addicting! A word of warning though – don’t watch multiple episodes right before bed unless you want crazy dreams!

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

Chipped Ham BBQ Sandwiches – Definitely a Pittsburgh tradition – regional comfort food for sure!

Fig Cookie Bars – These taste just like homemade Fig Newton cookies. Love them!

Cherry Coke Float Cupcakes – Chocolate and cola cupcakes filled with cherries and topped with a Coke glaze and then freshly whipped cream and a cherry.

Cheddar and Ale Soup with Potato & Bacon – A wonderful creamy soup that includes tons of different flavors.

White Russian Winter Milkshake – A wintertime milkshake that’s guaranteed to keep you warm!

Most Viewed Post This Week: Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too:

Chocolate Chip Salted Caramel Cookie Bars (Two Peas and Their Pod)
I love me chocolate chip cookie bars (I have a fav peanut butter version), and I can only imagine how awesome this salted caramel version must be.

Dulce de Leche Pound Cake (Technicolor Kitchen)
Such a pretty cake; gorgeous, actually. This would be a perfect dessert for a light lunch – great balance and subtle flavors.

Hasselback Garlic Cheesy Bread (Lauren’s Latest)
Garlic bread, with cheese, and herbs, in an easy-to-pull-apart loaf? Count me in!

Salted Caramel Pudding (Portuguese Girl Cooks)
Oh goodness, I want to eat all.of.this. Right now. Must be delicious, and such a pretty presentation!

Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream S’morewiches (Tracey’s Culinary Adventures)
I need to get on the toasted marshmallow ice cream bandwagon. So many possibilities! Like these awesome ice cream sandwiches. I wish I had some in my freezer right now.

Have a delicious weekend!

22 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 1/28/2012”

1. Tracey on January 28, 2012 at 9:35 am

We saw the newest Mission Impossible at the Imax theater right after Christmas, it was good! I haven’t seen much else though, so not much in the way of recommendations…

I am making your fig cookie bars this weekend, can’t wait! Thanks for sharing my ice cream sandwiches :)

2. Cristina on January 28, 2012 at 9:40 am

http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2012/01/28/the-weekend-dish-1282012/www.laurenslatest.com/hasselback-garlic-cheesy-bread/ Link does not work.

• Michelle on January 28th, 2012 at 11:32 am

Thank you for the head’s up, I just fixed it!

3. Maria on January 28, 2012 at 9:57 am

War Horse is a beautifully filmed moving and a touching story as well.

• Michelle on January 28th, 2012 at 11:33 am

I keep seeing the previews and it looks great, but… does a horse die? I honestly can’t handle movies or books where animals die, I sob.

4. Caitlin- A girly girl on January 28, 2012 at 11:21 am

i’m seeing One for the Money tonight because i loved the book but i’m apprehensive. I also saw The Waitress on DVD and loooooved it, she’s a pie baker too!

5. Maria on January 28, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Thanks for featuring our Chocolate Chip Salted Caramel Cookie Bars. They are my new favorite dessert!

6. April M. on January 28, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Hello, Saw Mission Impossible last night and it was great!!! See “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo” that movie had me on the edge of my seat!!! #SuperGood

7. Lauren on January 28, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Thanks for including one of my recipes, Michelle! :)

8. Ann on January 28, 2012 at 11:52 pm

As always – another tasty week!

9. linda on January 29, 2012 at 5:28 am

so enjoy the weekend dish!
    michelle, do you watch “homeland?” it is on showtime & claire danes is wonderful…actually the entire cast is… check it out! also, i just started watching abc’s “revenge”…with emily van camp…really enjoying it.
    have a great sunday!

• Michelle on January 30th, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I haven’t seen it, but I will definitely check it out! Thank you for the recommendation!

10. Ann on January 29, 2012 at 8:08 am

“IRON LADY” -Meryl Streep is incredible!

11. Jennifer on January 29, 2012 at 4:07 pm

My mom and I Redboxed four movies this weekend. They were all REALLY good, except the Hangover 2 was just decent. I liked the first one much better. Here is how they ranked – and seriously, the first three were amazing. Best movies I watched in a long time.

1. Crazy Stupid Love
    2. The Help
    3. Friends with Benefits
    4. The Hangover 2

• Michelle on January 30th, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Thank you for the list, I haven’t seen any of those yet, although I have been wanting to read The Help.

12. Brenda on January 29, 2012 at 8:24 pm

One for the Money! It is a great movie!

13. patrick daly on January 29, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Love the Irish car bomb cupcake. What a marvelous idea. But where do I get the shamrock cups?

• Michelle on January 30th, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Thanks Patrick! I bought those at Michael’s craft store last year.

14. Jrzygrl34 on January 29, 2012 at 10:44 pm

“Mission Impossible”(saw it on the IMAX screen) was really good…Afterwards I snuck (don’t tell anyone) into “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” good plot but contains a VERY VERY GRAPHIC depiction of sexual assault…Sorry didn’t mean to spoil it for anyone who hasn’t seen it, but its not for the faint of heart. I received “Bridemaids as a late Xmas gift yesterday, Hysterically funny! Almost as funny as “Anchorman” get either one of those if you love to laugh.

• Michelle on January 30th, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Thanks for the recs! We really wanted to see MI4 on the IMAX, but never made it. I would like to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, but thank you for the heads up on the scene! I have heard great things about Bridesmaids and have that on my list to watch as well, great to know it lived up to the billing!

15. Patricia Scarpin on January 30, 2012 at 5:53 am

I do hope you try the dulce de leche cake, it was a hit with my coworkers – and my boss loved it, too. :)
    Thank you for the shout out! xx

16. Ashley @PeaceLoveYumminess on January 30, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I always love reading your blog and your recipes!