Baked Hot Chocolate

Happy Valentine’s Day! I hope you all are enjoying the day and taking time to celebrate the love you have in your life, whether it’s a significant other, your family, children, or friends.

If you’re making a special meal tonight and are stumped about what to have for dessert, or are scrambling for something quick and easy, this decadent beverage-turned-dessert certainly fits the bill. While you don’t actually bake hot chocolate (I think you would just end up with really hot hot chocolate, right?), I love the cute play on words and that you bake these in individual mugs. Warm from the oven, this is a cross between a very moist brownie, a baked pudding, and a chocolate soufflé. Basically, it’s one of the most amazing chocolate concoctions I have ever baked up. It’s quick, it’s easy, it’s rich, and it’s the perfect way to cap off just about any meal.

My Chief Culinary Consultant gets the Wall Street Journal and I usually browse through it every day or two; I usually stick to the main news section, the Marketplace section because there tends to be a lot of tech-related stories in there, and the Personal Journal section at the end, which is right up my alley. That’s the “fun” section, and in the weekend edition it’s loaded with all sorts of recipes. I’ve started clipping favorites, and a few weeks ago my CCC caught this as he was reading through the paper and brought it to my attention. We both thought it sounded fabulous and couldn’t wait to try it. What better time than for Valentine’s Day, right?! We both gave it two big thumbs up; I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

What’s on your menu for tonight?

One year ago: Boston Cream Pie

Baked Hot Chocolate

Yield: 4 servings

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

9 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
4 eggs
¼ cup granulated sugar

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange four 1-cup ovenproof mugs or 8-ounce ramekins in a baking pan or roasting pan.

2. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a double boiler set over barely simmering water. Whisk occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.

3. Stir the eggs and sugar together in a mixing bowl, then set the bowl over the simmering water. Stir until warm to the touch.

4. Remove from heat. Beat the egg mixture with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Gently fold the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture.

5. Divide the batter evenly into the cups. Add enough very hot water to the baking pan to come halfway up the sides of the cups. Bake until the tops lose their glossy finish, 15 to 20 minutes. Carefully remove the cups from the pan.

6. Serve warm or at room temperature with marshmallows or whipped cream, if desired. You can refrigerate the baked hot chocolate for up to one day. To reheat, bring them to room temperature and then set in a 350-degree oven until warm, about 5 minutes.

(Recipe adapted from The Wall Street Journal)

45 Responses to “Baked Hot Chocolate”

1. Mary @ Bake Break on February 14, 2012 at 12:03 am

Oh my. This looks perfect!! Anything served in a mug is bound to be a winner, and if it has chocolate… no brainer! I can’t wait to try this!

2. what katie's baking on February 14, 2012 at 12:39 am

ahhh i love hot chocolate… but baked hot chocolate? yes please.

3. Miriam @ Overtime Cook on February 14, 2012 at 12:50 am

Oh man that looks like some serious fudgey goodness! Yum!

4. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga on February 14, 2012 at 12:50 am

I drink hot chocolate all the time lately! I need to do this and bake it…and then add lots of marshmallows :)

5. Jnl2211 on February 14, 2012 at 12:57 am

Now…top it with chocolate or peanut butter mousse and whipped cream!!!

6. Im At Home Baking on February 14, 2012 at 2:44 am

Wow, looks amazing and all it needs is some hot chocolate to drink on the side :)

7. Mireia on February 14, 2012 at 3:37 am

A tinny bit of whipped cream and I would be in heaven!

8. Kathryn on February 14, 2012 at 4:32 am

This would be an absolute perfect dessert for tonight, it looks so rich and chocolatey!

9. Kiri W. on February 14, 2012 at 5:54 am

This is such a cute idea :) And it looks delicious! Perfect with the marshmallows!

10. Lauren at Keep It Sweet on February 14, 2012 at 6:03 am

My dad sent that WSJ article to me and I’ve been wanting to try the recipe. Looks delish!

11. Katrina on February 14, 2012 at 7:12 am

I am in loooove!

12. Priyanka on February 14, 2012 at 7:16 am

Awesome I often make a similar dessert , its just relaxing

13. Vicky on February 14, 2012 at 7:24 am

Yum! It looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it!

14. Lori on February 14, 2012 at 7:35 am

Thanks for sharing. I might make this tonight as my son has a swim meet and won’t be getting in until late. This will make him very happy!

15. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on February 14, 2012 at 7:37 am

I love this, what a perfect little dessert!! I am now craving chocolate!! Yum!!

16. Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables on February 14, 2012 at 8:39 am

this looks like the PERFECT chocolate valentine’s day treat-thick, rich, chocolate-y. Emailing to my fiance as we speak….

17. Jen at The Three Little Piglets on February 14, 2012 at 8:43 am

What could be better!? Yum! Happy blog anniversary BTW. I know well wishes kind of got buried in your landslide giveaway the other day!

18. Lucía on February 14, 2012 at 8:48 am

Great idea! I will try it :)

19. Tamara @jemofthesouth on February 14, 2012 at 9:15 am

Wow. I could so make this dessert today because I have all of those ingredients. Looks yummy!

20. Karen@Mignardise on February 14, 2012 at 10:18 am

I saw this in the WSJ too and I am SO making it tonight for my two girls. Thanks for the reminder and happy Valentine’s day!

21. Amber on February 14, 2012 at 10:57 am

Oh man! I’ll definitely be trying these out. Love me some chocolate and anything I can fit in my cute ramekins. Thanks for this!

22. Fran@fransfavs.com on February 14, 2012 at 11:52 am

Looks like a lot of us are in a chocolate state of mind today! Your baked hot cocoa reminds me of my molten chocolate cakes reheated the next day when it tends to firm up. Yum! Happy Valentine’s Day!! http://www.fransfavs.com/2012/02/molten-chocolate-cakes-with-mint-fudge-sauce/

23. Liz at Cooking By Moonlight on February 14, 2012 at 12:22 pm

These look fantastic – definitely craving some chocolate now!

24. Asiya on February 14, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Yum! Some whip cream would be perfect with this :)

25. Choc Chip Uru on February 14, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Looks amazing – love the name of the dish :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Healthiest Natural Sugars Muesli Bars

26. modernworkinggirl on February 14, 2012 at 2:12 pm

totally making these for dessert tonight.

27. Jessica on February 14, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I had the best of intentions for a great Valentine’s dessert, but with a newborn and not much sleep my plans have long since faded. Hopefully my husband won’t notice that I haven’t showered today when I serve him these!

28. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen on February 14, 2012 at 8:01 pm

This is my favorite kind of dessert. Fast, easy, and chocolatey!

29. Janet@FCTC on February 14, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Ahhh, I cut this recipe out of my WSJ too and just hadn’t made it yet. Now I know I need to get a move on and make this!

30. RisaG on February 14, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Beef Tenderloin encrusted with Penzey’s English Prime Rib Seasoning, seared in a cast iron pan and then roasted, served with sauteed cauliflower and garlic and some roasted fingerling potatoes. Dessert is where my gifts came in – made hubby your Peanut Butter Cup Bars (in the shape of a heart) and some mini ones for me (in heart shaped silicone candy molds) and Krispy Treats (w/S’Mores Sprinkles) for my son. The sprinkles are from Duff Goldman’s line of cake decorating stuff that I got at Le Gourmet Chef. Yum. Best sprinkles I ever tasted.

BTW, the Baked Hot Chocolate will be made soon. It looks so good.

31. Ann on February 14, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Oh, this does look delicious! I had no idea the WSJ carried recipes….thanks for the tip!

32. Jessica @ Hungrygems on February 14, 2012 at 11:42 pm

V-day is the best excuse ever to make something rich and decadent….and then possibly share with someone else. Divine.

33. A Foodie on February 14, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Just found your website this evening and your recipe for Cranberry and Walnut Roll. Can’t wait to try this recipe along with your Babka bread. Looks yummy. Thanks for a wonderful website. Happy Baking and can’t wait for the drum roll (Kitchen Aid Mixer).

PS. Have you upgraded to a Canon 50mm 1.4? Are you happy with the 1.8? Looking to buy my first prime. I too have a Canon Rebel t2i. Eyeing the Sigma leaning on Canon.

PSS. I have a Baklava recipe I’ve used for over 13 years if you are looking for one.

• Michelle on February 16th, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Hi there! I actually have upgraded to the 50mm 1.4, but just about a month or so ago. I love the 1.8, I think it’s a great starter prime, I highly recommend it!

And I would love your baklava recipe, feel free to email it to me: michelle@browneyedbaker.com

34. Katie @ OhShineOn on February 15, 2012 at 12:50 am

I don’t care what form my chocolate comes in… so long as I have it, everything is good. I’ve never tried “baked hot chocolate”, but considering the ingredient list, I’m sure I’d love it.

35. CouponClippingCook on February 15, 2012 at 1:06 am

This is so fun and different. Love the idea of dessert in a cup. Looks delicious.

36. Kristina on February 15, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I made a really similar recipe last night for Valentine’s day only I baked them in little ramekins, I wish I would’ve seen your post earlier, this is such an adorable idea! And I love the title with the little marshmallows, too cute!

37. Tracey on February 15, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Oooh yum, what a fun idea! I made Ina’s brownie pudding for our Valentine’s Day dessert, and it was awesome, but I love the smaller portions here.

38. Ally on February 16, 2012 at 2:31 pm

This is positively perfect! Going to make a brilliant dessert for my next dinner party or potluck!
    xo

39. nodrama4mama on February 17, 2012 at 10:34 pm

This recipe needs to take an express train to my belly. I am so going to make these soon. I am so jealous about how you come up with all these awesome recipes.

40. S on February 18, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I thought this would be supper easy to make——-wrong. Well for me it wasn’t, don’t know about anyone else. And when it came out, I don’t know if I did anything wrong but it just didn’t taste good.

41. mochtin on February 20, 2012 at 1:45 am

yum!can’t wait to try this.

42. Lisa on February 20, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Yum, I have so many fans that like hot chocolate, i am going to have to make this for the girls one night!! Thanks

43. jojo on February 20, 2013 at 3:21 pm

can i substitute cocoa powder for the chocolate? i dont have good quality chocolate available in my region..

• Michelle on February 21st, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Hi JoJo, You won’t be able to duplicate the consistency of melted chocolate with just cocoa powder. You’d have to do a combination of unsweetened chocolate with cocoa powder and sugar.