The Weekend Dish: 3/3/2012

Well hello there, March! How on earth did it get to be the third month of the year already?! Usually March is the time that starts to feel like we’re hitting our big thaw, but I barely feel like we even had a winter here. Tons of days in the 40′s and 50′s, and only two or three very minor snow events, all less than a few inches. I have to say, I’m slightly bummed there wasn’t at least one nice, big snow fall. All that aside, my Chief Culinary Consultant and I are hitting the road this week and this time next week we’ll be in sunny south Florida. Hopefully toes in sand, staring at the ocean, perhaps a conch fritter in hand ;-) Don’t worry though, I’ve been clocking some overtime hours in the kitchen and won’t be missing a beat here, so the recipes will continue on as normal. And I’m sure I’ll be sharing my food adventures with you along the way! Although we’ve been down there multiple times, I’m always looking for somewhere new to eat. Any restaurant or bakery recommendations for the West Palm/Del Ray/anywhere around there, area?

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies – Buttery shortbread-like peanut butter cookies sandwiched together with a creamy peanut butter filling. Reminiscent of homemade Nutter Butter cookies.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars – A knock-off of my one-time favorite afternoon snack. These taste exactly the same!

Beer Battered Cod – This stuff is amazing any time, but it’s especially popular at fish fries during Lent. Now you can make it at home!

Capirotada (Mexican Bread Pudding) – Totally new to me, but wow’ed me into submission. Love this dish!

Homemade Snickers Bars – 100% as addicting as you’d imagine they might be. I could eat the whole pan. And yes, the taste exactly like a Snickers bar.

Most Viewed Post This Week: Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too:

Easier Buttermilk Fried Chicken (Tracey’s Culinary Adventures)
Really good fried chicken is one of my favorite foods (and one of the only ways I truly enjoy chicken), so this recipe is right up my alley. It looks absolutely incredible!

Green Velvet Cheesecake Shamrocks (The Novice Chef)
I love this spin on red velvet – totally festive and no doubt delicious as well!

Homemade Frozen Pizza (Love and Olive Oil)
I love having a ball of homemade pizza dough and a container of sauce in the freezer, but this takes it one step further – assembling an entire pizza. Love this tutorial, and definitely need to get busy stocking my freezer with some homemade pizzas for easy dinners!

No-Bake Milk Chocolate Bailey’s Truffle Cake (How Sweet It Is)
No oven? Chocolate? Bailey’s? Truffle? Count me ALL.IN.

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies (Two Peas and Their Pod)
Maria and I both had peanut butter sandwich cookies on the brain this week! I love her version with the addition of oatmeal; I definitely need to try these ASAP!

Have a delicious weekend!

14 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 3/3/2012”

1. Kristen on March 3, 2012 at 12:45 am

Those cheesecake shamrocks look super cute!

2. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on March 3, 2012 at 9:17 am

Oh yum, you booked marked some wonderful recipes! Not to mention I plan on making your Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookie this weekend!!

3. sharon on March 3, 2012 at 11:02 am

Two places I highly recommend in Delray…. the Sundy House (for brunch) and Jimmy’s Bistro (a very small, maybe less than 10 tables?, chef run kind of restaurant). The Sundy House is also a B & B. I live down here….so please fill us in on any good restaurant/bakeries you find! : ) Love your blog, everything I’ve made has turned out perfect and goes in the file to make again!

• Michelle on March 3rd, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Thanks for the recommendations Sharon! We always hit up Boston’s in Delray for their conch fritters after some time at the beach; I’ll definitely check out the Sundy House for brunch!

4. Tracey on March 3, 2012 at 11:10 am

Have so much fun in Florida!! Such a good time to escape these last few weeks of winter, even if it has been mild. I can’t wait to make your cod, my husband loves fish and chips so he’ll be thrilled :)

Thanks for including my fried chicken!

5. JulieAnn on March 3, 2012 at 11:28 am

Yes! Go to the Sundy House! Our favorite Cuban in the area is Havana (and they have a 24-hour pickup window that we’ve used too). I’m headed to the area this weekend to see my inlaws and will let you know what else I think of :)

6. sharon on March 3, 2012 at 11:38 am

….and I forgot to say….if its not too hot, eat outside at the Sundy House, the grounds are beautiful (at least take a walk around after you eat). And… its stone crab season down here! Of course Joe’s is the most famous (in Miami Beach), but I’m sure they will be somewhere in the Palm Beach area.

7. Ellen @ The Baking Bluenoser on March 3, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Great find with the shamrock green velvet cheesecakes! So cute, and I love making marbled things.

8. Vera on March 4, 2012 at 11:38 am

my cousins go to a jewish deli somewhere in the boynton area, not sure how far that is from where you guys will be staying…i’m sure you can find someone to lead you in the right direction :) tell everyone i said hi!

• Michelle on March 4th, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Hi Vera! Is it Flakowitz? We went there a couple of years ago with Joe’s grandpap. The food was awesome, we are overdue for another trip back there, thank you for the reminder! I will definitely tell everyone you said hello! :)

• Vera on March 5th, 2012 at 6:44 am

Yes! Gina took our uncle there last time he visited too…guess it is rite of passage when visiting! I havent made it there yet

9. Katherine on March 4, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I nominated you for a Sunshine Award! I am so excited to be a nominee myself, and immediately thought of you since every time I visit your site, I come away with a smile! Huge fan!

10. Marce on March 5, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I don’t know much about West Palm, Delray or Boynton because I live in Miami, but if you have one day for expend a good time at Miami you must go to the Food Trucks! everyone is unique, is delicious gourmet food at street and the prices are affordable the better of the Latin fusion cuisine, here is the site because they aren’t always in the same location, I recommend this, you have to try it! http://miamifoodtrucks.com/locations/ ;) and welcome to South Florida :)

11. Shelly on March 5, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Thank you for finding the frozen pizza recipe! I was thinking this week that I would love to have homemade frozen pizzas on hand after we get our new freezer/fridge this week. I’m thinking cheesy-garlic bread would freeze just as well.