A Photo Journey of My Favorite Eats in Florida

After three weeks in Florida (whoa! where did the time go?!), I am back in Pittsburgh, staring at endless loads of laundry, and working on getting back into some semblance of a daily routine. We got back late last night, so I thought it would be the perfect time to share with you some of the amazing food that I got to enjoy while I was gone. I wanted to do a little photo journey of the food I ate in Florida, so I snapped quick pictures along the way. They were all taken either with my cell phone or my point and shoot, and some of them, as you’ll see, I remembered to take after I had already dug in. I included a little bit about each dish and a link to the restaurant. Hopefully if you plan a trip down to southern Florida, this list will give you a head start when looking for a place to eat!

The drink above is actually one of the last things that I had on our trip. It was my first mojito, and I ordered it while out to eat for my birthday. My Chief Culinary Consultant has mentioned many times how much he enjoys mojitoes; I’d never had one and finally decided that my birthday was the perfect occasion for giving it a go. I don’t usually order mixed drinks (I’m more of a beer girl), but I could definitely get on board with the mojito. Crazy delicious! Bright, clean, crisp, minty, with a hint of lime, not too sweet, and the rum wasn’t overpowering. It was basically the perfect drink for me. Bottoms up! Read on for the rest of my little foodie tour…

Conch Fritters. By far our favorite Florida indulgence, we order them no less than 3 times when we’re in the area. We’ve tried them from at least 5 or 6 different places and have found our favorites to be at Benny’s on the Beach in Lake Worth. The fritters are crispy, spicy, and served with an even spicier dipping sauce. Also, on this particular day, we ordered them before breakfast. Totally acceptable. [Benny's on the Beach, Lake Worth, FL]

Omelet and Home Fries. This is the meal that came after the conch fritters pictured above. I had a mushroom, ham, and Swiss egg white omelet with home fries, toast, and melon. I fell in love with these potatoes during our last trip to Florida in October and wasted no time ensuring that I would have them again. They are perfect – crispy, tender, and heavily seasoned. Love! [Benny's on the Beach, Lake Worth, FL]

Fish Tacos. While I’ve made my own grilled fish tacos at home, I still had never ordered them out at a restaurant. One day when we were enjoying lunch across the street from the ocean, I spied them on the menu and decided there would be no better place to give them a try. They were fantastic! So flaky and crispy, served with a cabbage slaw and a spicy aioli. [50 Ocean, Delray Beach, FL]

Coconut Shrimp. I declared these the absolute best coconut shrimp I had ever eaten after my 3rd bite. Jumbo butterflied shrimp that were battered and coated with a coconut topping. We’ve been making coconut shrimp on Christmas Eve… I need to work on recreating these! [Bimini Twist, West Palm Beach, FL]

General Tso’s. Because some times, even on vacation, Chinese take out just sounds so good. This definitely did not disappoint. Huge portions and tons of spicy flavor. [Wong's of Lantana, Lake Worth, FL]

Entenmann’s Doughnuts. We may have splurged a little on old-school doughnuts. We saw a box of the classic variety (yellow doughnut with chocolate frosting) at the grocery store early on in our trip and snatched them up. They disappeared rather quickly so during our next trip, we grabbed another box. This time, the chocolate/chocolate, which I totally adore. We almost bought another box for the trip home, but practiced some willpower.

Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza. One of my very favorite Florida finds from our trip last March, I can never get enough of this pizza. They have since opened a location out in Robinson (south of Pittsburgh), but it’s such a haul from where we are north of the city that we’ve only gone once. I can’t wait until the next location opens closer to us! We love the Paul and Young Ron (sausage, peppers, meatballs, ricotta, and mozzarella) and the classic pepperoni. Awesome, awesome pizza. [Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza, Wellington, FL]

Prosciutto and Arugula Pizza. We spent an afternoon shopping at the Sawgrass Mills Outlets, and were in desperate need of nourishment by around 3:30. Talk about shopping until you drop! Clearly, I was not sick of pizza yet. I love the combination of prosciutto with greens and good cheese. Awesome flatbread-style pizza. [Grand Lux Cafe, Sawgrass Mills, FL]

Grand Lux Burger Melt. This was one of the more memorable meals that my Chief Culinary Consultant had back in the fall when we were down in Florida. We had hit the same restaurant before heading to a hockey game, and he ordered this amazing burger. It’s a chop house burger on grilled Parmesan cheese bread with cheddar cheese, grilled onions, and Thousand Island dressing. It’s a serious burger! [Grand Lux Cafe, Sawgrass Mills, FL]

Pretzel Bread. We ordered this as an appetizer at a place called The Office. It was served with mustard and Taleggio cheese, and was quite possibly the best hunk of pretzel I have ever eaten. I also loved that the appetizer portions weren’t so ridiculous that we were actually still hungry for our meal. [The Office, Delray Beach, FL]

Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread with Pimiento Cheese and Maple-Pecan Butter. A second appetizer to go along with the pretzel bread. It was tender, moist, packed with spicy flavor, and the accompaniments really made it. Both the cheese and the butter were insane. I want to eat this every, single, day. [The Office, Delray Beach, FL]

The Prime Office Burger. The Office had a very similar vibe to Burgatory back in Pittsburgh, although they didn’t have all of the custom burger offerings that Burgatory has. I went with the “Prime Office” – a classic burger made with cheddar cheese (I added bacon, naturally), lettuce, tomato, onion, and house sauce. Phenomenal burger. I always order my burgers well done (I have issues with pink or red ground meat, yuck!), and this was by far the juiciest burger I’ve ever had. Big bonus points for the branded bun! Also, I love shoestring fries. [The Office, Delray Beach, FL]

Couture Cupcakes. On our walk from the car to The Office, I spied a cute cupcake shop across the street. There was no question that we would be stopping in there after our meal. It was the cutest place – such a fun, retro feel – it was outfitted like an old-school candy shop, with all types of old-fashioned candy lining the walls. And then the cupcakes. Oh, the cupcakes. The owner of the shop worked as a luxury interior designer for 20 years, and has come up with the most awesome names for her cupcakes. Totally original and fun – you have to check out their menu! I couldn’t leave without getting some cupcakes, and spent some time dwelling over which six to pick. I ended up with the following (clockwise, from the top left): Boston Couture, Hi-Halston, Jimmy Chooocolate, Jean Paul Peanutier, Red Valentino, and Christian Louboutinilla. I already can’t wait to get back to Florida so I can try more flavors! [Cupcake Couture Sweet Boutique, Delray Beach, FL]

Warm Crab Dip. Following the mojito pictured above, this was the food starter for my birthday meal. My Chief Culinary Consultant and I have sampled a ton of crab dips, especially since he was in Maryland for so long. We’ve had them everywhere from the Inner Harbor to Annapolis, and decided that this one ranked up there as #2 on our list. [Old Key Lime House, Lantana, FL]

Coconut Shrimp. Again. I know, more coconut shrimp. After I already declared that I had eaten the best I’d ever had. But, I couldn’t resist. It sounded so good. I couldn’t decide between these and skewered shrimp, and when I asked the waiter which he would recommend, the question was barely out of my mouth when he jumped at coconut shrimp. Sold. And for good reason. These rivaled the last dish of coconut shrimp, and I loved that these were served with a papaya relish. Totally took them over the top. [Old Key Lime House, Lantana, FL]

Birthday Cheesecake. My Chief Culinary Consultant went out on a secret mission on the morning of my birthday and returned with a birthday cake for me! It was perfect – a smooth and creamy cheesecake with a chocolate swirl, and topped with glazed strawberries. I enjoyed it on my birthday and each day afterward until we left. Such a fabulous dessert! [Palermo's Bakery, Boynton Beach, FL]

Honorable Mentions

Some other foods I enjoyed while we were gone that I didn’t snag pictures of:

• Cinnamon Life Cereal – I rediscovered how much I love this stuff while we were gone. I ate it for breakfast most mornings, and for some late-night snacks.
  • Edy’s Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream – One of my all-time favorites, perfect for a nightly sweet fix.
  • Lindt Truffles – We got free samples at the Sony Ericsson Open and my CCC’s dad bought another package. I can’t get enough of them!
  • Brooklyn Water Bagels (Boynton Beach) – Very cool place, you can see them making the bagels in the back, and their whole water system. A lot of different bagel varieties. Most importantly – delicious!
  • I’m sure I ate more stuff that I’m not remembering at the moment. Suffice it to say, my tummy was completely happy!

We spent a lot of time being active, either playing tennis or going for 3-mile walks almost each day, so I didn’t think twice about what I was eating, and enjoyed pretty much whatever I wanted. Now, back to the daily grind, regular food, and cooler weather. I’m hoping it doesn’t get too chilly so I can keep up the outside activity!

What are some of your favorite eats when you go on vacation??

46 Responses to “A Photo Journey of My Favorite Eats in Florida”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks on March 29, 2012 at 2:08 am

Sorry that you’re back home and back to reality after what looks like a spectacular trip…at least the food aspect. And I imagine the whole trip was pretty fabulous!

2. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes on March 29, 2012 at 4:28 am

This all made me drool! Especially the coconut shrimp!

3. Kerry on March 29, 2012 at 6:42 am

Next time you are in South FL, head a up to Jupiter and go to Guanabanas. It’s my favorite restaurant to go to when I go home to visit my family. Food (especially the coconut shrimp and shrimp burrito) are out of this world!!

• Michelle on March 31st, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Oooh thanks for the recommendation Kerry! That’s a little bit north, but if we’re ever up there I will definitely check it out!

4. Lori on March 29, 2012 at 7:13 am

They just opened an Anthony’s pizza not too far from my house. I’ll have to try them out. Those pictures look amazing. I am glad to see such good food being served out of state.

5. Sally on March 29, 2012 at 8:19 am

Yay! I’m glad you enjoyed The Office. And Anthony’s Coal-Fired is by far, THE BEST, pizza evah!

6. Regina on March 29, 2012 at 9:01 am

I love the key lime pie at the Old Key Lime House. Also I second Guanabanas for next time. Good stuff.

7. Sara on March 29, 2012 at 9:48 am

Couture Cupcakes is one of my most favorite places to go in Delray. Next time you go, try the dark chocolate and coconut flavor – to die for!

The Office is great as well…I’ve had the buffalo chicken sandwich – wow!! Mellow Mushroom is another gem off Atlantic Ave. They also opened a Burger-Fi off Atlantic and A1A…gourmet burgers, milkshakes, and craft beers!

• Michelle on March 31st, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Thanks for the additional recommendations, I will definitely check out Burger-Fi and Mellow Mushroom the next time we’re in town. And will certainly add the dark chocolate/coconut cupcakes to my next round of flavors :)

8. Mandy on March 29, 2012 at 10:00 am

All of this looks so delish! But I’m disappointed – no John G’s?!? Best breakfast ever! The French toast and also the stuffed croissant are both to die for.

I’ve never made it to Couture Cupcake, but I’ve heard great things about it.

If you like Mexican, you should check out Taco Lady in downtown Lake Worth. It’s literally a hole in the wall restaurant (I recommend ordering to go because there’s only 2 tables) and it’s off of a side street so it’s hard to find but definitely worth it.

• Michelle on March 31st, 2012 at 6:48 pm

We love Mexican, so I think a take out order to Taco Lady will be in order the next time we’re down there! Also, we have had John G’s on previous trips, but unfortunately this time the only time everyone could eat together on the weekends was mid-late morning and we didn’t want to have to wait in such an insane line.

9. Tracey on March 29, 2012 at 10:11 am

Oh man, i’m staaaaarving after reading this post!! Everything looks fantastic, sounds like a great trip. Those Entenmann’s donuts are beyond dangerous – I can’t buy them or I’ll devour the box myself in a day :)

10. Jess D on March 29, 2012 at 10:12 am

All looks delish! Where is the #1 Crab dip? I need to know! (I’m in Baltimore!)

My favorite travel food is back home in NY, i stock up on pizza and bagels. And mom’s gravy (tomato sauce!)
    In NOLA— can’t get enough of po’ boys, beignets, and muffalettas! mmmm

• Michelle on March 31st, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Hi Jess, It was at a restaurant in the Inner Harbor. Neither of us can remember the name of it; we just remember the killer crab dip and horrendous service ;-)

11. Mireia on March 29, 2012 at 11:14 am

Everything looks amazing but I was impressed with the Pretzel Bread, it looks huge and very yummy!!

12. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Pepper on March 29, 2012 at 11:27 am

Dam it all looks so good! What amazing foods you had!!

13. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts on March 29, 2012 at 11:28 am

Now that is a trip! You had some amazing food!

14. DRTVrMoi on March 29, 2012 at 11:45 am

What excellent timing. I’m in Florida now and we are close to Delray Beach & Wellington. I will definitely check these out. If you are having a culinary adventure, you must check out Jupiter. The Food Shack, Left Overs and Hog Snapper are all strip mall joints with excellent food. Now if they would only take reservations……

15. Jeri Barry on March 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Perfect timing on this post. I am leaving for Singer Island on Saturday and will use your information and suggestions with gratitude. Great photography as usual!

• Michelle on March 31st, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Have a fabulous vacation, Jeri!

• Jeri Barry on April 1st, 2012 at 8:06 am

Hi MIchelle,
        En route from the airport in Miami yesterday on our way to Palm Beach we stopped in Delray Beach and had an incredible lunch at the Office. Wow! My family loved every bite and we then splurged on a 6 pack of cup cakes from Cup Cake couture. We may stop back on our return trip to Miami on Thursday it was that good! Many thanks for the spot on recommendation!

16. Erin @ Brownie Bites on March 29, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Now THAT is a vacation!

Isn’t it funny how a trip or special occasion will spawn a random craving for some nostalgic snack? Like those Entenmann’s doughnuts.. totally sounds like something I would do. One time I just HAD to have a can of plastic-y Easy Cheez, and I wanted to squirt it over some pretzel pillows and ritz crackers. Yep.

All of this food looks delicious – you guys ate well, for sure!!

17. Kerry on March 29, 2012 at 1:29 pm

WOW – what a trip!

Funny thing is Benny’s and Old Key Lime are down the street and Wong’s is literally across the street from my house. Another good restaurant by Wong’s is Chris’ Taverna – greek.

Glad you had fun!

• Mandy on March 29th, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I forgot about Chris’ Taverna – totally yummy. I can make a meal out of just the warm pitas and tzatziki sauce

I just remembered another great plce – Sweet Surrender in Boynton Beach has awesome cupcakes. The red velvet is the best store baked cupcake I’ve ever had.

And for something greasy but so darn good – Bud’s Chicken and Seafood! Sometimes it just hits the spot, especially if you hit it on the way back from the beach. Get the chicken fingers there.

• Michelle on March 31st, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Mandy, We found Sweet Surrender by accident, but it was on Monday, and they were closed! Bummer! I’ll definitely get back there next time :) Adding Bud’s to our list too!

• Michelle on March 31st, 2012 at 8:42 pm

That’s so awesome! Will definitely add Chris Taverna to my list for next time too – we love Greek!

• Kristin on April 30th, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Hi Michelle,

I just got back from visiting this area of FL myself and I wanted to recommend a few places next time you go back. Athena Restaurant in Lake Worth is a Greek place, they have the best falafels I’ve ever had! Sugar Chef Cupcakes in West Palm Beach had the most amazing cupcakes and it takes a lot to please me when it comes to any dessert :) We also ate at 50 Ocean and I have to recommend the Lobster Po’ Boy, such a unique flavorful combination!

~Kristin

• Michelle on May 1st, 2012 at 12:30 am

Hi Kristin, Thanks so much for the recommendations, I am definitely saving them for next time!

18. Dee on March 29, 2012 at 1:46 pm

OMG that looks like some of the best food ever!

19. Kristin on March 29, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Hi Michelle,

I am actually heading down to the Boynton / Delray Beach area in a few weeks. Anytime I travel, I do major food & restaurant research so thanks for helping me out! Just out of curiosity, have you heard anything about 51 Supper Club & Lounge in Palm Beach Gardens? That is on my list of “Place to Go”.

Thanks again,
    Kristin

• Michelle on March 31st, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Hi Kristin, I have not heard of it. If you go, definitely let me know how you like it!

20. carol on March 29, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Too bad the recipies were not included.. Kind of a tease.

• Michelle on March 31st, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Hi Carol, I’m sorry you were disappointed, but I did not make any of these dishes. This was a post to share the meals I had while on vacation, and to recommend some specific restaurants.

21. Paula on March 29, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Everything here looks so appetizing, even the 90% eaten Crab Dip and Anthony’s Pizza Box! Coal fired pizza…I bet it tastes great. What a lovely little shop Cupcake Couture has. Would have love to have been travelling with you…if only for the leftovers! LOL

22. Laura on March 29, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I want to know what the #1 crab dip is too! I am also a Baltimorean :)

• Michelle on March 31st, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Hi Laura, I honestly can’t remember. It was a place in the Inner Harbor. I can’t remember the name of the place. We just remember the crab dip was phenomenal and the service was atrocious ;-)

23. Darcie on March 30, 2012 at 12:00 am

Mmm, mojitos… The food looks amazing! Definitely have to check some of those places out if Im ever down in Florida (One day, it will happen).

As to favourite travel eats, it’s not a road trip unless you hit up Tim Hortons on your way out. It’s not awe-inspiring, but a double-double and a breakfast bagel just scream road trip, especially at 7 am and you’re just heading into the rockslide-ready Fraser Valley. Plus, the large box of Tim-Bits helps when all the good radio stations die in the mountains.

24. hannah on March 30, 2012 at 1:31 am

Yum, yum, yum, that is all I can say. I wish I ate like you!!

xx

25. Ann on March 30, 2012 at 2:28 am

I’m SO glad you enjoyed Florida. I live in the sunshine state…and adore Mojitos! They are amazingly refreshing, aren’ they? Glad you made it back safely!

26. Laura Dembowski on March 30, 2012 at 11:21 am

All of the food looks amazing. If I’m ever in Florida, I’ll be sure to check some of those places out.

27. Ally on March 31, 2012 at 7:28 am

I can’t even decide which meal looks best… they are all phenomenal!
    xo

28. Peggy on March 31, 2012 at 10:13 am

My brother lives in Boynton Beach so I’ll have to ask him if he’s been to the bakery or that bagel shop! Definitely sounds like you were livin’ it up in FL =)

29. Nancy on April 1, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Former Boynton Beach resident here with another recommendation for your next trip. My very favorite restaurant is 32 East in Delray Beach (not cheap) and BEST place for dessert is La Bonne Bouche in Lake Worth for some INCREDIBLE pastries … You will not regret it.

• Michelle on April 4th, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing those recs; we will definitely check them out the next time we’re in town!

30. Martha@ Simple Nourished Living on April 3, 2012 at 2:26 am

What a fun photo food tour of Florida! My mom used to live there and raved about Anthony’s coal fired pizza. It sure does look delish!

31. Mandy on April 21, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Hi, it’s your resident South Florida foodie back with more suggestions ;)

Palm Springs Pizza.. It actually used to be located in Palm Springs, but they moved locations about 10-15 years ago. It’s on Congress and Forest Hill. I haven’t been there in a few years, so I can’t guarantee how they are nowadays, but they were always my favorite pizza around here. The crust is a delicious cornmeal-type and is perfect. It’s not too thin or too thick. I’ve never had any of their main meals. Many afternoons I would pop in for a slice or two before heading up to the main library branch a few blocks north for research (I somehow *just* missed out on being able to use exclusively a computer for research in high school. By the time I hit college, Internet-only was the norm)

Another great place is Gelato Grotto in Palm Beach Gardens. They have some seriously awesome gelato. Their paninis are pretty good for lunch as well.

There are a lot of cool restaurants and things in the Gardens; unfortunately I haven’t had time to research and try them so I can’t really recommend any. It’s definitely worth looking into if you’re up that way though!