The Weekend Dish: 5/5/2012

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Happy Kentucky Derby day! So many things going on today! Are you doing anything for either occasion? I, for one, love any and all excuses to indulge in some great Mexican food, so I’m hoping to whip up something festive for dinner tonight. What’s your favorite Mexican meal? As I mentioned last Saturday, I spent a few days in NYC with my mom and sister to celebrate my sister’s 30th birthday. We enjoyed some good food, took in a matinee of Wicked, spent a few hours getting massages, and I took the opportunity to play with my camera and do some street photography. The photos are available to view on Flickr if you’d like to sneak a peek.

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

20 Festive Cinco de Mayo Recipes – A roundup of awesome recipes for celebrating on May 5th!

Salted Mexican Chocolate-Chile Caramels – Wonderful caramels made with Mexican chocolate, a subtle infusion of red chiles, and topped with fleur de sel.

Chile con Queso – A classic Mexican creamy, cheesy dip augmented with tomatoes and fresh chiles.

Alfajores – A very popular cookie in Spain and Latin America, two shortbread cookies form a sandwich with dulce de leche.

Mint Julep Jell-O Shots – A fun spin on old-school Jell-O shots – perfect for a Kentucky Derby party!

Most Viewed Post This Week: Margarita Cupcakes

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too:

Blueberry-Cream Cheese Hand Pies (Tracey’s Culinary Adventures)
I love hand pies, blueberries, and cream cheese. I can only imagine how amazing the combination is!

Chocolate-Glazed Funfetti Doughnuts (Sugarcrafter)
Funfetti is so much, and I love that Tracy created a homemade, from-scratch version.

How to Freeze Decorated Sugar Cookies (Bake at 350)
I never knew you could freeze completely decorated cookies; I always learn so much from Bridget!

Peanut Butter Cookies with Homemade Honey Roasted Peanut Butter (Kevin and Amanda)
Growing up, you could not pry my little fingers away from a jar of honey roasted peanuts. I am sure to love these cookies!

Sea Salt & Honey Almond Butter (Two Peas and Their Pod)
I am totally intrigued by making my own nut butters, and this recipe seems like a perfect place to start.

Have a delicious weekend!

11 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 5/5/2012”

1. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on May 5, 2012 at 8:29 am

I loved your recipes this week and what bookmarked sound wonderful especially the Peanut Butter Cookies with Homemade Honey Roasted Peanut Butter. Happy Cinco de Mayo!!

2. Ariel on May 5, 2012 at 12:39 pm

The link to the doughnuts is wrong.

3. CJ at Food Stories on May 5, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

4. Tracy on May 5, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Thanks for the shout-out! Hope you have a great Cinco de Mayo weekend! :-)

5. Sheri on May 5, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I love your recipes. Today is also our 29th anniversary so triple celebration day for us and having your Strawberry pie and then trying Bananas Foster Bread tomorrow. Thank you so much for the great recipes.

6. Tracey on May 5, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Love your photos from NYC! I’ve been meaning to plan a few days there, and it keeps getting pushed back but I have renewed motivation now!

Thanks for including my pies :)

7. bridget {bake at 350} on May 6, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Thank you so much for the linky love!!! Hope you had a fabulous weekend! I finally got all of those horse cookies out of my freezer! ;)

8. Jennifer on May 7, 2012 at 9:37 am

Thanks for the weekly dish. I hope you had a great cinco de mayo!

9. Anita at Hungry Couple on May 7, 2012 at 9:42 am

Great photos of your NYC trip! It’s always fun to see my city through other people’s eyes…or lenses. It’s certainly beautiful here in spring.

10. RisaG on May 7, 2012 at 12:35 pm

We don’t do anything for either day usually but this year I have made several dishes with avocados and chiles to celebrate. We normally watch the race but we didn’t this year.

The donuts and the almond butter both sound really good. I just made donuts a week or so ago. They were great.

11. Jamie | My Baking Addiction on May 7, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Love this roundup, Michelle! I’ve been thinking about Tracys’ doughnuts for says now!