Good Eats in NYC v2.0

Last weekend, I spent a few days in New York City with my mom and sister to celebrate my sister’s 30th birthday. We caught a matinee of Wicked (I’m not really a show person, and I thought it was fabulous!), we spent an afternoon at a spa, did some shopping, and of course, did our fair share of eating. As I always like to do when I venture outside of my Pittsburgh bubble, I wanted to share with you the places I hit up, what I ate, and what I thought of it all. I did a similar roundup when we were in New York two years ago; this time you won’t find any bakeries, but a nice mix of restaurants that I really enjoyed. I’d love to hear about some of your favorite spots!

RARE Bar & Grill (152 West 26th Street – Chelsea)
This was our first meal in New York, and it was within walking distance of our hotel, which was a bonus. RARE has a large, casual space with a laid-back atmosphere. We started off dinner with the Spinach & Artichoke Dip and the French Fry Tasting Basket, which consisted of hand-cut fries, waffle fries, and sweet potato fries with a variety of dipping sauces. This is just another example of how I could easily make a meal out of nothing but appetizers! Both the dip and the assortment of fries and dips were outstanding. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger for dinner, which was fabulous. All in all, awesome food and a great atmosphere. Two thumbs up.

Alice’s Tea Cup (156 East 64th Street – Upper East Side)
We headed uptown to Alice’s Tea Cup for brunch on Sunday. You can only make reservations for 8 or more on the weekend, and we ended up waiting about an hour for a table, so I would recommend planning ahead if choose to eat here. They had a nice selection of teas, scones, breakfast and brunch-style meals, as well as sandwiches. I wasn’t terribly hungry when we got there, so I just had a blueberry-lemon scone, which was delicious. My mom ordered a double-chocolate pecan scone, which I tasted and also liked. My sister had a pumpkin scone, which I tasted as well, but didn’t fall in love with. It was a very cute place, but tiny, so make sure you have time to wait! Also, I didn’t realize it while we were there, but they have a cookbook out – I’m looking forward to checking it out!

Co. (230 Ninth Avenue – Chelsea)
I took the advice of Maggy and we headed to Co. for some amazing pizza after catching the matinee of Wicked. This was, hands-down, some of the best pizza that I’ve ever had. After poring over the menu, we ended up ordering three different pizzas – Mushroom & JalapeƱo, Popeye (spinach and lots of cheese!), and Margherita. Each bite was better than the one before. I only wish that I could have tasted all of the pizzas on the menu, as well as the desserts, which looked to-die-for. Co. is owned by Jim Lahey. On the way out, I picked up his two cookbooks, My Bread and My Pizza, so I can work on some recreations at home!

La Bella Ferrara (108 Mulberry Street – Little Italy)
On Monday morning, we walked down Canal Street and decided to hit Little Italy for a quick breakfast. When we turned the corner down Mulberry Street, we saw La Bella Ferrara – a cute little pastry shop with outdoor seating that looked perfect. I was a boring foodie and ordered a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast (it was delicious, though). My sister had a chocolate-dipped cannoli, and said it was one of the best she’s ever had (and she loooooves her cannoli). My mom had a prosciutto and mozzarella panini, which she raved about. She said it reminded her of the prosciutto my grandpap used to make when she was growing up. Homemade mozzarella is already on my to-do list; it looks like I might need to add curing my own prosciutto as well! They had a great selection of pastries, cakes, cookies, as well as hot sandwiches and an assortment of other treats; I would have loved to try more!

Corner Shop Cafe (643 Broadway – Greenwich Village)
On our last full day in New York, we booked massages at Great Jones Spa (absolutely amazing place, highly recommend!) and then wanted a little bite of something to hold us over until dinner. We happened upon the Corner Shop Cafe while we were walking, and it was the perfect place for a quick, casual bite to eat. Their lunch menu had a great selection of appetizers, brunch-style dishes, salads and sandwiches. I hit up the brunch section and chose a breakfast burrito, which turned out to be a great selection. Fluffy scrambled eggs with pockets of melted cheddar cheese – delicious!

Da Gennaro Restaurant (129 Mulberry Street – Little Italy)
Our final dinner in New York was an absolute treat. My sister had received multiple recommendations for Da Gennaro’s, and it more than lived up to the hype. The food was outstanding and the service was incredible. The bread and dipping oil alone was worth the trip. We started off the meal with Italian-style grilled cheese and stuffed artichoke as appetizers. I loved the grilled cheese – fresh mozzarella sandwiched between thin slices of bread, in a light batter, and fried. Heaven! For dinner, I chose the tortellini with meat sauce, which melted in my mouth. I ordered profiteroles for dessert – the classic cream puff-style pastries were filled with chocolate ice cream and drizzled with chocolate and caramel sauces. It was a perfect way to cap off the meal. Everything was amazing, and I would absolutely eat there again.

What are some of your favorite places to eat in NYC?

37 Responses to “Good Eats in NYC v2.0”

1. Kelly on May 7, 2012 at 4:44 am

I love Alice’s Tea Cup! I was so excited when their cookbook came out that I ordered special biscuit cutters from Williams-Sonoma and had my sister send them to me. I was so disappointed when every single scone recipe didn’t work. Something is wrong with the proportion of wet to dry. Really sad since it’s such a nice place for tea!

• Michelle on May 7th, 2012 at 9:34 am

Hi Kelly, Thanks so much for the feedback on the cookbook, that’s such a bummer! It might be one I skip…

• Brittany on May 7th, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Its true, their cookbook requires that you tweak all of the scone recipes, but the cupcakes and the lentil salad recipes are excellent! If you want to try scones inspired by them, I’ve tweaked a few of their recipes. I’ve linked directly to the Alice’s Tea Cup scone recipes that I’ve adapted.

2. Lori on May 7, 2012 at 7:14 am

I love Covo. Never been disappointed and their food is amazing.

3. Meg on May 7, 2012 at 7:24 am

The Meatball Shop is SO GOOD–and I don’t normally like Meatballs!! The cookbook is also fabulous!

Prune for brunch is also excellent! No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain goes there :)

4. melissa on May 7, 2012 at 7:48 am

I just ate at Co. with some friends and we were actually disappointed in the pizza! Enjoyed our appetizers (bread with ricotta, meatballs), but won’t be going back for the pizza. I’m glad you liked it, though! :)

On the same trip, we went to Pies n’ Thighs in Brooklyn and I cannot – CANNOT – say enough wonderful things about it :) Go!

5. May on May 7, 2012 at 8:33 am

Cookshop (http://cookshopny.com). “American with a nod to the Mediteranean”, they say. They support of local farmers and the humane animal care. The food is unbelievable.

6. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts on May 7, 2012 at 9:24 am

I sadly have never been to NYC, but it is high on my list of places to visit! Love reading about all the great restaurants. I will never be able to pick where to go, when I actually do get to visit!

7. Ali @ Gimme Some Oven on May 7, 2012 at 9:30 am

LOVE the Corner Shop Cafe! The last time I was in NYC, I did a food tour of Greenwich Village, which was ridiculously fun and delicious. :)

8. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Pepper on May 7, 2012 at 9:49 am

What a fun time with your Sister and Mom. I have never eaten in NY except at the airport and I got a yummy slice of pizza! Yum! Have a great week!

9. Michele Lessard on May 7, 2012 at 9:57 am

Try Rosa Mexicana or Zarela’s for the most fabulous authentic Mexican food! Victor’s for the best Cuban food. Rain Thai for awesome Thai food! those are my favs!!

10. Julie Keely on May 7, 2012 at 9:59 am

I LOVE John’s Deli in Brooklyn. Best hot roast beef ever! Give them a shot next time. 2033 Stillwell Avenue Brooklyn NY 11223.

11. Catalina @ Cake with Love on May 7, 2012 at 10:21 am

I love La Bella Ferrara, we used to eat often there!!

12. Alli Miller @ Cupcake Diaries on May 7, 2012 at 10:52 am

I’m a big fan of the Shake Shack! It has the best shakes I’ve ever eaten in my life and the atmosphere is so fun. I’m a burger and fries kind of girl and that place has some of the best burgers and fries around!

• Michelle on May 7th, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I have heard awesome things about Shake Shack! If/when I’m in NY again, I am definitely heading there. I’m a burger and fries kinda girl too :)

13. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) on May 7, 2012 at 11:44 am

Oooh yes Ferrara’s is known for having some of the best cannoli in NY!

14. nicole @ I am a Honey Bee on May 7, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I love going to visit NYC and having great meals along the way. We generally stick to casual places getting small bites so we can go to several places in 1 day. Some standouts…
    Rice to Riches- fun rice pudding bar in Nolita
    Doughnut Plant- there is a location in the Lower East Side.
    La Maison du Macaron- amazing macarons
    Pomme Frit- poutine!
    Sombrero- near times square so it’s touristy but I love their pitchers of margaritas
    River Cafe- one of the most amazing meals I have ever had. Basically located under the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn

I have NYC recaps on my blog as well that outline our adventures and include the places we have visited. http://iamahoneybee.com/exploring/exploring-new-york-city/

15. CJ at Food Stories on May 7, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Great roundup … Hope you had a great time :-)

16. RisaG on May 7, 2012 at 1:40 pm

There is this wonderful Wonton place called W.A. wonton or something like that. It is a favorite.

17. Alice on May 7, 2012 at 2:29 pm

You missed out by not going to Chinatown. Yeah Shanghai is my favorite there.
    The best pizza in the 5 boroughs is DiFara’s, but it’s not convenient to get to (in Brooklyn, far out there). Grimaldi’s or Lombardi’s are acceptable substitutes for DiFara’s.

18. Ally on May 7, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Sounds like you found some absolute gems! I am bookmarking this post for my trip to New York!
    xo

19. Sara on May 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Love this post! My boyfriend and I LOVE staying in Chelsea, and this will help us out the next time we’re there!

20. Rachel @ The Avid Appetite on May 7, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Aw I love Alice’s! I haven’t been in ages, but it is so fun to just go for tea and scones. Always delicious and feels so special!

21. Georgina Cole on May 7, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Jonathan Waxman’s Barbuto in West Village. Great “neighborhood” restaurant which was formerly a garage. He’s famous for his roasted chicken but I had the gnocchi and it was out of this world! And the prices were pretty reasonable.

We had brunch at Anthony Bourdain’s Les Halles restaurant and the Croque Madame was yuuummy!

Momofuko and ABC Kitchen are on my bucket list.

22. Mary on May 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm

First time posting, but I’ve been a huge fan of your blog for a long time! Being a Pennsylvania lady myself, I’m always interested in your posts and commentary on Pittsburgh food culture. I think I even saw you at a Pens game this season, but I refrained from yelling out your name for fear of looking like a complete crazy woman! My favorite NYC eats-
    Mile End Delicatessen -Brooklyn – smoked meat poutine (need I say more!)
    Balthazar – awesome frites and the desserts are to die for!
    Doughnut Plant
    Levain Bakery
    Four and Twenty Blackbirds – BEST PIE EVER (not even joking!)

• Michelle on May 7th, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Hi Mary! Thanks for the comment! How funny about seeing me at the Pens game – do you remember which game it was?! I kept all of my stubs and Ice Times, so I could tell you for sure if I was there and where I was sitting :) And say hello anytime!

• Mary on May 10th, 2012 at 10:23 am

Hi Michelle! That’s so funny…I keep all my Ice Times too! I think it was the game on October 15, 2011, against the Buffalo Sabres. My seats were in 121 at the end of row L. You walked past and went to the glass to watch warm-ups. I’ll say hello next time! As a die hard Pens fan, I go to lots of games (despite living in WV now!).

• Michelle on May 10th, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Yep, that was definitely me!! I went to that game with a friend of mine for our girl’s night out at the Pens game (we’re both huge hockey fans). And that was actually the only game this season that I went down to the glass for warm-ups :) My boyfriend and I hit a lot of games too, I think we got to 10 or 12 games this season. Can’t beat live hockey!

• Mary on May 10th, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Too funny! I just knew it was you, and now I can tell my boyfriend I wasn’t crazy. And there’s no doubt about it, nothing beats live hockey!

23. Jessi on May 7, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I love Alice’s Tea Cup too! It’s the place I go and meet my old college (and ballroom teammate) friends. Chocolate by the Bald Man is a wonderful indulgence and Sarabeth’s by central park is one that hubby and I love to go back to. Sounds like you had an awesome trip. Can’t wait to see what recipes it inspired! =D

24. Erika on May 7, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I have only been to NYC twice on a quick layover. The first time, we just happened to walk by Corner Shop Cafe right around dinner time and popped in. We had the best macaroni and cheese (with truffles?) I’ve ever had. Love that place! I was so pleasantly surprised to see it on your list. :)

25. Diane on May 8, 2012 at 12:15 am

Paulie Gee’s in Brooklyn is hands-down the best pizza I’ve ever had in my life! Bacon Marmalade on pizza? YOU BET!

Ess-a-Bagel made awesome breakfast bagel sandwiches!

Also highly recommend Dos Caminos for great Mexican food.

And although the food was nothing to write home about, Hibernia Bar & Grill is a great Steelers Bar in NYC! We watched a Steelers Victory there while visiting NYC!

• Michelle on May 8th, 2012 at 9:25 am

Hi Diane, Thanks for the tip on the Steelers bar! It’s always good to know where they are when you’re away from the ‘Burgh :)

26. Debra Kapellakis on May 8, 2012 at 2:12 am

I enjoyed reading your reviews.

27. Pearl on May 8, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Favorite Pizza- Two Boots, Paulie Gee’s (in Greenpoint)
    Favorite Donuts- Peter Pan (Greenpoint), Dough (Bed Stuy)
    Favorite Food- Westville, Walter Food
    Favorite Cuban Food- Cafe Habana
    Favorite Comfort Food- Mamas!

28. Heather on May 8, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I lived in NYC last year down in the lower east side and one of my go-to places when I had visitors was the Meatball Shop. So so so good. I also had the best strawberry rhubarb pie slice at The Grey Dog and the best blondie at Little Brown Chocolate Bakery in the Upper East Side.

29. Allie on May 22, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I work in the city and my favorite spot is Rubirosas on Mulberry street. They have the best vodka sauce pizza!